It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just joined a couple days ago, most important advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Hello, I just joined a few days ago. I've been observing this site for a few years and finally decided it was time to join. What are the top 3 to 5 most important things that I should know?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
feel safe in the fact that if something is predicted, it will not happen

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hypocretes

1. Always think over what you want to say before typing a response.

2. Always try to use manners even when seemingly provoked into a negative response.

3. Show who you are as a human being in your writings, so we get to know you better.

4. Never shrink yourself to save other's comfort zones.

5. Have fun and enjoy your time here.

6. Send me a dozen chocolate muffins please.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Hi there and welcome

I think I'll give it a shot, lets see:

1) Be prepared to find out things that are going to change the way you view the world.

2) Do not automatically believe everything you read here. Research and form your own opinion.

3) Before posting a thread use the search function and see if there's one already. Also, try to put a lot of info, you don't want to start a thread with only a few sentences. Remember to check if it hasn't been exposed as a hoax first.

4) Be polite. Remember most members are here for the same reason as you, to find the truth.

5) Do not feed the trolls. If you see someone who is disrupting a thread, insulting other members or just trying to create chaos for fun, report them. The mods will take care of them.

That's 5. I thought of some more, but I think those are the basics. I hope they help

edit on 12-5-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
feel safe in the fact that if something is predicted, it will not happen

Now THAT made me laugh BadBoYeed and you are definitely right.

To the OP, strap on your seatbelt and be prepared to feel a slew of emotions as you read through the threads - sometimes you'll get angry, sometimes you'll be inspired, sometimes you'll laugh and sometimes you'll get so caught up that you'll look at the clock and see that it's 11:11 (will make more sense soon, I promise). We're a pretty diverse and open group here so just have fun, contribute when you can and learn to open your mind to others' perspectives. Have fun and welcome!!

One last thing, don't ever be scared to voice your opinion. Take care and I'll see you around the boards!

Timidgal

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
3) Before posting a thread use the search function and see if there's one already. Also, try to put a lot of info, you don't want to start a thread with only a few sentences. Remember to check if it hasn't been exposed as a hoax first.

This is the one I first thought of.
The overwhelming vast majority of threads on ATS are duplicates, or where the OP doesnt really have an opinion and just posts "look at this youtube video, what do you guys think?"

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Please,please,please do not post the same links to International news that ALL of us probably read the first thing in the morning on the internet.

I personally tell the age of the person posting this stuff because young people normally do not have a interest in reading the news other than Yahoo.

I have seen four and more posts on the same exact article all pulled from the same exact site.

Be inquisitive and do your research on a subject that you may be interested in.

Cite all your research and provide links.

This forum would be a heck of a lot more interesting if all the members did this.

And remember this.

ATS was designed to be a forum in the true sense of the word.

All those who came to the forum were allowed to stand up and speak their piece.

If another person disagreed he could stand and rebut the other person.

This is NOT GLP 4Chan or any one of those other sites that are populated by uncouth children with no manners.

Be kind even if a persons spelling and sentence structure is incorrect.

There are many members whose first language is not English.

And last but not least.

Do not flag threads easily!

You can star all you want but the flags have gotten out of control.

This site is not a popularity contest.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Respect your authority and drugs are bad.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

1. If you want to be a brown noser and get stars agree with every body.

2. This site has 52 % conspiracy nuts on it,so every thing will be a conspiracy to them.

3. Don’t say you like obama and the democrats, or you will be hated by the 95% of the republicans that seemingly own this site, including the republican mods that will move all your post if its something good about obama or the democrats is said, so if you want allot of stars just say something bad about obama and say something good about republicans, it doesn’t matter if its racists or a hoax or a rant, the mods will keep it up and you will get flooded with stars and applauds.’

4. dont get caught up in flambaiting.

5.just be your self and dont be a puppet.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Immortalgemini527 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Be courteous.

There are far too many posters who get caught up in arguments, let their emotions get the better of them, and end up getting warned, or worse, banned.

Just remember that even if you vehemently disagree with someone, you don't have to be a prick about it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

1. You can ALWAYS trust your dog!
2. Do not panic, no really, there is no reason to worry.
3. No matter how much proof you may have there will always someone to argue proof.
4. Said person mentioned in #3 just may be right.
5. when in doubt fall back to #1.

Welcome to ATS the worlds finest repository of 99.9% rubbish, you figure out which is the .1 percent!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Take all negativity with a pinch of salt. You will get people who want to bait you and challenge you, but stand strong and be firm. Everyone has differing opinions, but some people feel they are entitled to more than just their own.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

1. You can ALWAYS trust your dog!
2. Do not panic, no really, there is no reason to worry.
3. No matter how much proof you may have there will always someone to argue proof.
4. Said person mentioned in #3 just may be right.
5. when in doubt fall back to #1.

Welcome to ATS the worlds finest repository of 99.9% rubbish, you figure out which is the .1 percent!

Aint that the truth !

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

How do people get stars?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

In the other forums there is a star in every post. If someone likes what you posted they can click on it and the black star turns blue.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Each member can assign one star to a post that he or she agrees with. You can assign as many stars as you want (there's no limit to them), but only one per post. It's a good way to see how many people agree with a certain post.

Stars are disabled in a few of the forums such as introductions and board help.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

If you are going to post something off the web:
1. Express an opinion about it or explain why you think it is important.
2. Be sure to track the links back to the original source.
3. If that source turns out to be Sorcha Faal, don't post it, you'll only embarrass yourself!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypocretes
Hello, I just joined a few days ago. I've been observing this site for a few years and finally decided it was time to join. What are the top 3 to 5 most important things that I should know?

If you've been observing for "a few years" it would stand to reason
that you would have acquired the knowledge already...

And if you have not acquired any needed knowledge after "a few
years" of observation asking now seems rather moot.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Version100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Version100

Oh! Thank you for giving me a chance to use one of the things that I've learned in this thread. "Always try to use manners even when seemingly provoked into a negative response."

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypocretes
reply to post by Version100

Oh! Thank you for giving me a chance to use one of the things that I've learned in this thread. "Always try to use manners even when seemingly provoked into a negative response."

Are you new to the internet as well as ATS ?

Best of luck.

top topics

join