It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer shot man complaining at town hall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Residents of the close-knit eastern Orangeburg County town of Eutawville gathered Monday near the scene of a mid-morning shooting that stunned the community. The crowd both mourned Bernard Bailey, who reportedly died in an officer-related shooting, and sought answers. The 54-year-old Bailey had a "soft and quiet" demeanor, James Gillens said. Gillens said Bailey enjoyed playing basketball in high school and has been working at Walmart in Summerville. Bailey was a "good guy," Gillens said. "Anything you would ask him to do, he'd do it and I'm not just saying that because of this incident, I know that because of the life he lived." Marvin Simmons said he went to school with Bailey. "He didn't bother anybody," Simmons said as he shook his head. "It's a shock. They shot him." Rosa Taste, also of Eutawville, joined a group of onlookers and friends of Bailey. "He'd give you the shirt off his back," Taste said. "I've known him all my life." "This is a senseless killing," remarked lifelong Eutawville resident Charlotte Young. "He was a good person from a good family and he was well-known." The officer involved in the shooting incident has been identified as Chief Richard Combs, a former Orangeburg County Sheriff's deputy. Eutawville Mayor Pro Tem Roger Adkins said he tried to reach Combs, but was unsuccessful Monday afternoon. "I tried to call him. I left a message, but I haven't heard back from him," Adkins said.

www.thetandd.com...

A Tuesday autopsy confirmed that a Eutawville man killed in what's been described as an officer-involved shooting died of multiple gunshot wounds. Bernard Bailey, 54, was shot twice in the chest and once in the shoulder, according to Orangeburg County Coroner Samuetta Marshall. The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating Monday's shooting incident, which occurred outside town hall. Bailey's family members identified the Eutawville officer involved in the shooting as Police Chief Richard Combs, a former Orangeburg County Sheriff's deputy. He is on paid administrative leave, Mayor Jean Akers said Tuesday. The Orangeburg County Sheriff's Office is providing coverage for the town. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families that are affected by the incident Monday," Akers said.

www.thetandd.com...

EUTAWVILLE - The NAACP is working with the State Law Enforcement Division to get answers in last week's officer-involved shooting, state branch President Lonnie Randolph said Tuesday night. Randolph and other NAACP officials addressed an emotional crowd of about 550 people at Springhill Missionary Baptist Church. During the meeting, witnesses to the shooting were asked to step forward. State Branch Executive Director Dwight James said a boycott of the town is not in the works. Bernard Bailey, 54, was killed last week in what has been described as an officer-involved shooting. He was shot twice in the chest and once in the shoulder, Orangeburg County Coroner Samuetta Marshall has said. Meanwhile, Police Chief Rick Combs is on paid administrative leave. Eutawville Town Council is also meeting this evening. Three deputies were on hand. During the town meeting, Mayor Jean Akers read a prepared statement saying that the State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the fatal shooting and the town will have no further comment at this time.

Things here in eutawville are getting very tense. The man is said to have been unarmed. The officer was a caucasion and the victim was a black man.

Look for this to go mainstream very soon

The rumor is the victim went to the town hall to pay his water bill, and ask the officer about a speeding ticket his grand daughter got. The whole thing has been tight lipped on what actually happened. Guess we will know more if and when the investigation is concluded. There has been a racial tension in the area for sometime and the NAACP is getting involved

edit on 12-5-2011 by Shaiker because: added info

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
ok, WHY was he shot, that's what I'm missing here.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Still being investigated thats why the community is in an uproar because no one in law enforcement is saying anything

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

I literally had just finished talking about how I love my state and then I read this. Apparently we still have some kinks to work out.

I hate this happened, I think our image (which was kind of improving) may take a hit for this.

I see the MSM spinning this for a lot more than it's worth, probably making it a national outrage.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
definitely need to know what led up to the cop pulling a gun out and pulling the trigger three times...

He should definitely be in a jail cell right now though, not on paid vacation.
If one of us killed an off-duty police officer, even if he was attacking you and there were witnesses, you'd be in jail until enough evidence surfaced to prove whether I was in the wrong or not...
edit on 12-5-2011 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Do whatever cops say....

VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT
edit on 12-5-2011 by WordPlayJAy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by WordPlayJAy

Survivors will be shot again! Of course if it were the other way around, the guy who shot that cop would be in jail so fast... Three cheers for JUSTICE!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
WTF! You mean he's not in jail yet?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
reply to post by WordPlayJAy

Survivors will be shot again! Of course if it were the other way around, the guy who shot that cop would be in jail so fast... Three cheers for JUSTICE!

No, they would have shot him too.

I guess the new rule of thumb should be If you see a cop and he can see you, expect to be shot.

If you're lucky, you only get arrested unlawfully.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Are you serious? The police force needs to do what they can to weed out corruption or they all need to resign. This B.S. with police abusing their power then being sent on paid vacation is disgusting and a disgrace to justice and cops everywhere..

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Yeah, looks like plenty of things are still hazy. Not sure where this will go, but it does seem a little iffy.
Also not sure of exactly why race is an issue here, much less what was exchanged.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divine Strake
Yeah, looks like plenty of things are still hazy. Not sure where this will go, but it does seem a little iffy.
Also not sure of exactly why race is an issue here, much less what was exchanged.

The rumor is the victim went to the town hall to pay his water bill, and ask the officer about a speeding ticket his grand daughter got. The whole thing has been tight lipped on what actually happened. Guess we will know more if and when the investigation is concluded. There has been a racial tension in the area for sometime and the NAACP is getting involved

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
What isn't in this article is that what got him shot is that he brought out a big boom box from the early 90's and blared the song F*** The Police, by NWA. That will get you shot every time guaranteed.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Ah. I guess they can constitute that as a threat and a sonic weapon, just not as sophisticated as the one the law can use.

He may have heard boom box and though bomb box. It's a common mistake.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
My guess is, the guy was attempting to purchase the wrong type of light bulbs and refused to comply with orders not to.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
sometimes,pictures can speak a thousand words.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/400a070b394d.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Simmer down folks. I'm sure the cop "feared for his life" making this completely justifiable.

What cop isnt frightened by an angry black guy? Or black dog. Or any guy. Or any dog. Or a 15 year old girl. Or a 80 year old woman in a wheelchair.

Cops have to deal with being frightened for their lives 24/7.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Some additional info from another source

UPDATE: Eutawville Police Chief Richard Combs is now part of a SLED investigation after fatally shooting 54-year-old Bernard Bailey on Monday. According to records from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy, Combs was previously an officer in the Orangeburg County Sheriff's Office and had his employment terminated in 2007. The report lists his reason for termination as "violation of AGENCY police NOT involving micsonduct, good character or moral turpitude.. (i.e., substandard performance, excessive absenteeism, sleeping on duty, etc.) Combs' record shows he was hired 4 months later by the Elloree Police Dept and served there for 4 years until becoming the chief in Eutawville in February 2011. Tuesday the Orangeburg County Coroner's Office performed an autopsy on Bailey. They say he died from 2 gunshot wounds to the chest and one to the shoulder. News sources report Combs is on paid administrative leave. Mayor Jean Akers was unavailable Tuesday afternoon for confirmation. ------------------------ Orangeburg County Coroner has identified the shooting suspect as Mr. Bernard Bailey ,54 years old. The coroner's ofice will release more information pending the autopsy and ongoing investigation. -------------------------- The officer involved in the shooting was treated and released from the local hospital. -------------------------- An officer involved shooting in Orangeburg county is being investigated by the State Law Enforcement Division. It happened in Eutawville near Town Hall. We're told the Orangeburg County Sheriff's office and the town requested SLED's assistance, and the county coroner was called to the scene. News 2 has a crew on the way and will bring you more details as they become available.

www2.counton2.com...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

good find.

I do not know if we are actually seeing more of this abuse or if it is finally comming to light thanks to the internet.

I do know my dad, aged 58 was badly beaten for failure to signal a lane change on an empty interstate at three in the morning fifty years ago. He was white, did not drink or swear and did not even have a speeding ticket on his record!!!

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Update******
FBI getting involved with the case. Guess obame felt sled couldnt do their job.

The U.S. Attorney's Office and the FBI are also involved in the investigation into what has been called an officer-involved shooting in Eutawville, First Circuit Solicitor David Pascoe confirmed Tuesday.

thetandd.com... html

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join