It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Game Review Thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This thread is usable in the following ways:

-Share your video game review,

-Or suggest a video game you would like to have a member review for you.

To start it off, I will be reviewing Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness for the Nintendo Gamecube.

Yes this game came out in 2005, but I picked it up for the first time yesterday at the local video game store.

It was only $15 for a used copy, and it is a fantastic game.

One of the main complaints of Pokemon XD is that it reuses alot of material from an earlier Gamecube game called Pokemon Colloseum. Since I never played Colloseum, all the material was brand new for me, which is really great.

So reviewing XD as a standalone product, it is superb.

You play as a young hero who is tasked with defeating an evil organization, collecting shadow pokemon along the way and then purifying them for use on your team.

The shadow Pokemon aspect of the game is a nice change of pace from the usual Pokemon RPG formula.

The visuals are bright and colorful, and the Pokemon really get a chance to show off their personalities.

Many aspects of the portable RPG games are present here, such as trainer battles, items, Pokemon Centers and Marts. It feels like a full featured RPG.

What I think is the coolest feature of the game, is that the Pokemon you collect can be transferred to a 3rd gen GBA game using the link cable.

But since the series has elapsed since 2005, you can do something really cool.

You can transfer Pokemon from XD to a 3rd gen GBA game, to a 4th gen DS game, to the current 5th gen.

So really, if you play XD, your Pokemon can make it all the way to the new Black/White games, which I think is just freaking the bee's knees.

Overall, I recommend this game for Pokemon fans if you never got a chance to play it back in the day.

Hope you enjoyed my review, and I hope this thread can become a useful tool for video gamers out there.

edit on 11-5-2011 by SolarE-Souljah because: Pikachu use edit! It's super effective!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
One of the best games i ever played... was on xbox360

It was called .. Prototype.

You are a man... but you are infected with a certain virus, .. it allows you to shift your cellular structure..... so you can create blades out of your arms... claws, .. hammers, .... even change into anyone you want to.

you have super strength, .. and all that jive.... you can literaly just run up the side of buildings full speed, ... jump off and glide to the next one. so its almost as your flying.

You also have special moves.... called devestators..... and thats exactly what they do.... devestate anything within fifty feet of you .

its an amazing game, and i highly reccomend it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
*Amiture Retro Review*
Shadow of the colossus -PS2,team ico

Any time I hear the words "video games are not art" I laugh and think of SOTC. No game has accomplished so much with so little .The games antagonist known only as "wanderer" doesn't speak a word yet still manages to convey his plight through actions cemented in solid game play.

As the game begins you find that wanderer has come to a cursed land to slay 16 colossi in order to resurrect a fallen female. With his trusty horse agro and a sword that enables you to find each giants lair you embark on a 16 boss rush that is so epic it doesn't bother you that there isn't anything but sprawling landscape to traverse between them.

The size of each colossi compared to wanderer is massive and makes you ask yourself "How am I going to kill that with this little sword"? The game answers that question with a game mechanic called a grip meter. Each beast has tediously placed weak spots you have to locate and attack via climbing and stabbing, lose your grip and you fail.

Graphically the game is almost flawless for its time.To achieve this with Sony’s emotion engine developers had to use a few tricks to get a stable framerate.They incorporated a blur filter that effectively freed up system resources and allowed the game to run at a playable speed.

Words cannot do this game justice.Like a symphony, it must be experienced to be appreciated properly.If you haven’t played it do whatever it takes to track a copy down or emulate it.

join