It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

toxic ash cloud heading for se portland oregon!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
If one does come to North America it would come in over Alaska or British Columbia as the trough and the currents will curve it into the North Pacific leaving Washington and Oregon alone. It will not follow an "West to East" trajectory on or about the 40 - 45 Degree North longitude line.
edit on 12-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
If one does come to North America it would come in over Alaska or British Columbia as the trough and the currents will curve it into the North Pacific leaving Washington and Oregon alone. It will not follow an "West to East" trajectory on or about the 40 - 45 Degree North longitude line.

I think you might be a little confused. This happened IN Oregon, it's not coming from somewhere else.

Anyway being in Portland this is a little freaky, but it's been raining most of the day so hopefully that will help a bit.
edit on 12-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Acid Rain ? ^^

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

I think you might be a little confused. This happened IN Oregon, it's not coming from somewhere else.

Anyway being in Portland this is a little freaky, but it's been raining most of the day so hopefully that will help a bit.
edit on 12-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

If it roots in Oregon then it is not coming from anywhere else but Oregon.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

If it roots in Oregon then it is not coming from anywhere else but Oregon.

I'm not really sure what your getting at....

Your first post said "if it comes to north America" and "leaving Oregon alone"

Which makes no sense as this was a chemical cloud that escaped from Milwaukie, which is in Oregon next to Portland. So the cloud is already in Oregon, why are we talking about Oregon not getting hit by it, and Alaska and BC? This is a cloud of gas that was produced inside of Oregon, not coming from somewhere else and passing over Oregon.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Fukushima's arrived but no seriously, what the f is that ?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

why is this not in the news
if it is where

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
WTF, hydrofluoric acid!?

That's one of the most deadliest substances that could be released next to radiation. I worked with that stuff... let me tell you:
You get ~2 drops of it on your hand... and if you don't have the antidote nearby you WILL die.

Very very toxic stuff.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

So far, it looks like this is pretty much over without too much bad effect:

Oh, and that chemical cloud of hydrochloric and nitric acid that billowed out of Precision Castparts in outer Southeast last night? Clackamas County authorities say there is no more danger from the cloud -- which injured four people -- but that doesn't mean everything's clear. Southeast Johnson Creek Road will remain closed from Stanley Street to 45th Avenue for a few more hours, and Whitman Elementary is closed just in case.

OregonLive.com

Four people -- including two firefighters -- sustained minor injuries Wednesday evening and were brought to a local hospital. However, Steve McAdoo, Clackamas Fire District 1 spokesman said it was a precaution and "they're doing fine."

A mile-long stretch of Southeast Johnson Creek Boulevard remains closed this morning and Whitman Elementary, which has bus stops near the plant, is closed today as a precaution.

Fire officials Wednesday warned residents within a half-mile radius of Precision Castparts to stay in their homes but that suggestion has been lifted.

KTVZ.com provides some more clarity on what happened:

The Oregonian described the cloud as hydrochloric and nitric acid. McAdoo says a power failure affected the air scrubber that scrubs the fumes at the plant, so fumes built up and then escaped. He says the chemicals are used to clean and cut metal.

Glad to hear everyone's pretty much OK.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
better get some duct tape and plastic sheets.

Ya know kinda like how Cheney said we could protect ourselves.

Yes, stay inside, do not flee, do not panic, GovCorp has everything under control.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I feel bad for you folks up there. I am down south from there in the Corvallis area, and I know some people were worried here even. Any updates on the situation?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I was wondering if anything ever became of this.
Any updates - where did the cloud go? What
about the people in the plant when this first
happened.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thanks for the update -
we were typing at the same
time it seems.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
hydrofluoric acid: ehs.unc.edu...