It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

toxic ash cloud heading for se portland oregon!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
im kinda scared because i do not know the danger they are telling people to stay inside

www.kgw.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

Oh my, I would stay indoors with windows and doors shut until they give
further reports that all is safe. I have no idea how long this cloud could
stay in the area or how far it could travel. Perhaps someone will come
along that can answer that question.

link   
reply to post by tamenie

not an ash cloud but its pretty much a death cloud. probably telling people to stay inside so there's not dead bodies in the street and just in the houses. Easier to clean. Dont know how they could let this happen but they should be tried to the fullest extent of the law.

link   

That's the view from my balcony, the second picture was taken an hour later with my digital camera. I'm in the alleged path a little south east of Portland city. It might just be nothing in these pictures, but there's these weird thin smoke like clouds drifting by really quickly every few minutes.

Just thought I'd take pictures for those interested, i have more but the second one was the clearest.
edit on 11-5-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

link   
Whoa.. a hydrochloric nitric acid cloud released from a plant...

ack, that's so far from good it's ridiculous!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
looks like it's gas mask time for you guys...I keep mine in my truck at all times just in case

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Dont worry im sure everything will be ok. I would make sure any windows and vents are well sealed just to be safe. It will probably disapate soon....

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
wait how bad is the cloud?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

where do you live?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Safety

Concentrated hydrochloric acid (fuming hydrochloric acid) forms acidic mists. Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines. Upon mixing hydrochloric acid with common oxidizing chemicals, such as sodium hypochlorite (bleach, NaClO) or potassium permanganate (KMnO4), the toxic gas chlorine is produced.

Wikipedia

Not to frighten but I looked it up as I didn't know how dangerous it is - not good - stay indoors.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Did they say how this accident happened?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

i dont belive so i think it was a exsplosion

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Wow...

That sucks!

Prayers and Positive Vibes

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

They said apparently there was a "chunk" of aluminum left in a vat of hydroclorhic acid. This is the best decription of what happens when that occurs...

Aluminum and Hydrochloric acid react violently. For instance if you have ever seen a Drain-o bomb using a plastic bottle, the combination of the 20% HCl concentration and the aluminum foil creates heat and boil releasing steam, bottle becomes unable to contain it and explodes, releasing the steam rapidly.
Answer course correction: Drano is composed of Sodium Hydroxide, sodium nitrate and aluminum. The above observations are true but it's an NaOH/Al reaction giving the heat and gas. The 'grease cutting" is a result of the hot hydroxide saponifying the fats (turning them to soap) which are then soluble in water. (6NaOH + 2Al --> 3H2 + 2Na3AlO3)

The reaction of Aluminum and HCl: 2Al + 6HCl --> 2AlCl3 + 3H2

All in al it looks the same (fizzes)and gets hot.

Looks like someone forgot to clear out the vat prior to flooding it with new acid for production. That would be my best guess.
Although if you want to go there...
It could have been Al Queda????

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by redzareptile

Informative post btw!
I might have learned something...

In my youth I made many a sno-bowl bombs...

bad though... one on this scale...

Although if you want to go there... It could have been Al Queda????

My personal taste...
I'm not gonna use Al Queda as a scapegoat anything soon...

Instead I would go with my favorite Scapegoat of all time...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/329a4d980e07.jpg[/atsimg]

I hope no one is hurt by this cloud of toxic hell
edit on 5/11/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by redzareptile

Thanks for the information -
Question: Does the cloud leave particles as it passes,
falling on objects and contaminating plants,
animals or humans?

How long will this cloud take to disipate?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. Hoping it won't head east full, that it will dissipate before then.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
no new updates

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tamenie

Well that's not good

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
For this type of hazmat, it all depends on how much of this was released and the weather conditions....and how heavy the molecules are. The heavier/denser it is, the closer to the ground and the longer it will linger.

If there is any kind of breeze that will help it dissipate. Also, if it is raining, etc.

If they have advised you to stay indoors, than do so. It doesn't sound like it is too major or else there would be a much larger 'shelter in place' zone than half a mile and they would be evacuating you. Just stay inside until morning. If you were to develop symptoms it sounds like it would be the same type of symptoms as any harse chemical inhalation or exposure; burning or stinging eyes, burning sensation in the lungs, cough.

Really though, if it were that bad they would evacuate. Sounds like an isolated release so its just a matter of giving it enough time to blow/fade away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join