It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tenfold Path to Guts, Solidarity and the Defeat of the Corporate Elite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
www.truthout.org...

The Tenfold Path to Guts, Solidarity and the Defeat of the Corporate Elite

Wednesday 11 May 2011
by: Bruce E. Levine, Truthout

Many Americans know that the United States is not a democracy but a "corporatocracy," in which we are ruled by a partnership of giant corporations, the extremely wealthy elite and corporate-collaborator government officials. However, the truth of such tyranny is not enough to set most of us free to take action. Too many of us have become pacified by corporatocracy-created institutions and culture.

Some activists insist that this political passivity problem is caused by Americans' ignorance due to corporate media propaganda, and others claim that political passivity is caused by the inability to organize due to a lack of money. However, polls show that on the important issues of our day - from senseless wars, to Wall Street bailouts, to corporate tax-dodging, to health insurance rip-offs - the majority of Americans are not ignorant to the reality that they are being screwed. And American history is replete with organizational examples - from the Underground Railroad, to the Great Populist Revolt, to the Flint sit-down strike, to large wildcat strikes a generation ago - of successful rebels who had little money but lots of guts and solidarity.

The elite spend their lives stockpiling money and have the financial clout to bribe, divide and conquer the rest of us. The only way to overcome the power of money is with the power of courage and solidarity. When we regain our guts and solidarity, we can then more wisely select from - and implement - time-honored strategies and tactics that oppressed peoples have long used to defeat the elite. So, how do we regain our guts and solidarity?

1. Create the Cultural and Psychological "Building Blocks" for Democratic Movements
...(see link for summaries)...

2. Confront and Transform ALL Institutions that Have Destroyed Individual Self-Respect and Collective Self-Confidence

3. Side Each Day in Every Way With Anti-Authoritarians

4. Regain Morale by Thinking More Critically About Our Critical Thinking

5. Restore Courage in Young People

6. Focus on Democracy Battlefields Where the Corporate Elite Don't Have Such a Large Financial Advantage

7. Heal from "Corporatocracy Abuse" and "Battered People's Syndrome" to Gain Strength

8. Unite Populists by Rejecting Corporate Media's Political Divisions

9. Unite "Comfortable Anti-Authoritarians" and "Afflicted Anti-Authoritarians

10. Do Not Let Debate Divide Anti-Authoritarians

This was a very interesting and compelling article, in my opinion. It lays out some very common-sense and critical strategies for we (the concerned commoners/masses) to unite along very important/crucial common ground in order to fight our common enemies. Our common enemies and the threats they pose to us FAR OUTWEIGH any of our smaller political/cultural divisions. More and more it is nearing the time that we must rise up as if we've done it a million times before. There is strength, energy, power, righteousness, purpose, and magic in numbers... specifically, numbers of people who have truth, compassion, dignity, and common consideration on their side.

So what are you waiting for, people? You wanna wait till you're old and dead to rise up, start networking with like-minds and forcing the changes we can ALL agree upon? Or are you gonna wait till we reach 100% consensus on EVERYTHING while TPTB get everything they want on the backs of us and our senseless divisions? There is MUCH work to be done YESTERDAY. Be prepared to start an unstoppable and uncorruptable culture in America of confident resistance and cooperation with our fellow man/woman/animal/ecosystem in order to STERNLY say NO and effectively halt/neutralize forces that seek (whether intentionally or not) to illegitimately destroy/compromise us, our environments/ecosystems, our rights/freedoms, our dignity, our future, our self-determination, our health/minds, our movements, and/or the things we should hold sacred.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Thank you friend for the article. Its coming. The Tiger waits in the high grass for the perfect moment to strike.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BanMePlz
Thank you friend for the article. Its coming. The Tiger waits in the high grass for the perfect moment to strike.

I think it's time to strike like yesterday.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

How do you propose we do this anyway? Sit in front of the white house with signs and protest? I mean I'm all for what your saying but how

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Be careful what you wish for my friends.....

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrodude

lol what could happen? (sarcasm)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

NoHierachy....

These all sound wonderful. Rousing even. So if you want to discuss, I would like to ask one question about point ten as I see this as a large stumbling block on the path to overcoming authoritarians.

Here at ATS our threads are rife with debate which turns quickly into partisan bickering. So the question I would like to begin with is how do we go about organizing ourselves so that we discuss instead of debate? As I see it, without being able to do this the rest of the points in the OP are moot.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeremiah8401

How do you propose we do this anyway? Sit in front of the white house with signs and protest? I mean I'm all for what your saying but how

Talk to people. Start thinking about the REAL solutions we need if we were to really take our grievances seriously. If you haven't been involved in activism/protest, then I highly recommend experiencing it and getting to know people who are active and fighting the right fights.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrodude

This has nothing to do with wishing, really. It's about expanding ones involvement in creating a better world. It's about shedding the light of knowledge-seeking and communication amongst people who are disillusioned but thirsty for deeper human interactions and positive change.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire

NoHierachy....

These all sound wonderful. Rousing even. So if you want to discuss, I would like to ask one question about point ten as I see this as a large stumbling block on the path to overcoming authoritarians.

Here at ATS our threads are rife with debate which turns quickly into partisan bickering. So the question I would like to begin with is how do we go about organizing ourselves so that we discuss instead of debate? As I see it, without being able to do this the rest of the points in the OP are moot.

I think that FIRST when we discuss/debate (at least in a face-to-face setting) we MUST collectively become very AWARE and averse to dead-end partisan bickering. In a real, human discussion, two or more people must be willing to partially or completely shed anything they know/believe in favor of better/clearer facts and vise versa. Also, once again, it's important to focus on COMMON GROUND and to also collectively realize that much of that common ground can be called by different names by different people. It must also be collectively stressed that much of this common ground is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than divisive/knee-jerk issues. Just as when doing business, do you focus on small walls/externalities or do you get your sh*t done whether it's perfect or not?

THAT is what solidarity is about. It's about different people coming together UNITED for undeniable common causes. It's about the various tribes fending off the invading conquerors, so to speak. WE MUST UNITE THE TRIBES!

edit on 11-5-2011 by NoHierarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

The only thing I am wishing for is a better world and a better life for all of mankind.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'd love to get in touch with some activists but I know no one into that sort of thing. When I try to spread the awareness of others they look at me like I'm crazy. These things are much easier said than done.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

NoHierachy....

I think that FIRST when we discuss/debate (at least in a face-to-face setting) we MUST collectively become very AWARE and averse to dead-end partisan bickering. In a real, human discussion, two or more people must be willing to partially or completely shed anything they know/believe in favor of better/clearer facts and vise versa. Also, once again, it's important to focus on COMMON GROUND and to also collectively realize that much of that common ground can be called by different names by different people. It must also be collectively stressed that much of this common ground is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than divisive/knee-jerk issues. Just as when doing business, do you focus on small walls/externalities or do you get your sh*t done whether it's perfect or not?

THAT is what solidarity is about. It's about different people coming together UNITED for undeniable common causes. It's about the various tribes fending off the invading conquerors, so to speak. WE MUST UNITE THE TRIBES!
edit on 11-5-2011 by NoHierarchy because: (no reason given)

I will add that we could learn that the words we may use, though innocuous to some, can all to easily inflame Rigor Mortis of the brain in others. I find this true about myself. My brain can just shut down and there ain't nothing getting in, ya know? It's knee jerk as you say. It's unconscious.

How do you think one gets by this?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

NoHierachy....

I'm not American, but I say you focus on the things you can agree on and the things you cant can be dealt with later, but if you concentrate efforts on things both sides agree on, you have a starting point.

However, polls show that on the important issues of our day - from senseless wars, to Wall Street bailouts, to corporate tax-dodging, to health insurance rip-offs -

Taken from the OP. Here's issues that both side can agree on right?
edit on 12-5-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BanMePlz
reply to post by pyrodude

The only thing I am wishing for is a better world and a better life for all of mankind.

Thats what 99% of the worlds population want. We need to work together to achieve it though. Instead we are so easily divided into our little tribal groups.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

There is in America this thing which is dear to most called individual liberty. Unfortunately this liberty is taken to much for granted by many. There is an illusion that just because our founding fathers fought for and inscribed liberty into our Constitution, it is now ours by right of birth.

The "waking up" of the individual to a reality which holds that liberty is not inherent in a society but is something which must be sought, cherished and defended if it is to flourish has brought these individuals into an active defense of these liberties

Individualism is the moral stance, political philosophy, ideology, or social outlook that stresses "the moral worth of the individual".[1] Individualists promote the exercise of one's goals and desires and so independence and self-reliance[2] while opposing most external interference upon one's own interests, whether by society, family or any other group or institution.

I have found this definition to be a close approximation of my approach to life and I assume it to be so for others as well.
It is my observation that in a strong pursuit of liberty, many individuals take the following approach.

An individualist enters into society to further his or her own interests, or at least demands the right to serve his or her own interests, without taking the interests of society into consideration (an individualist need not be an egoist). The individualist does not lend credence to any philosophy that requires the sacrifice of the self-interest of the individual for any higher social causes.

To my way of thinking, this approach to individual liberty cannot provide the necessary foundation for a context in which a person with true individuality may blossom. It demands that all who pursue individual liberty have in common, the same view of the nature of the individual. I find this requirement to be incomplete in it's understanding of human potential.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau would argue, however, that his concept of "general will" in the "social contract" is not the simple collection of individual wills and precisely furthers the interests of the individual (the constraint of law itself would be beneficial for the individual, as the lack of respect for the law necessarily entails, in Rousseau's eyes, a form of ignorance and submission to one's passions instead of the preferred autonomy of reason).

This description of Rousseau's position which is tangential to my own speaks to a more complete understanding of the responsibilities of the individual.

" the general will" "is not the simple collection of individual wills" but is rather the self tempering of aspects of ones individual will to promote the general welfare.

It is this tempering that I believe to be paramount in all parties prior to true discussion and united action against the foe we still to this moment so loosely define as TPTB.

new topics

top topics

join