It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Failed predictions. Are we stuck in a time loop??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ever since I can remember, I have been confronted with this prediction or that prediction. I am 25 years old now, was raised in a religious home so was continually surrounded by dooms day predictions growing up. The most talked about one I can remember, was the year 2000. That was supposed to be it! The year Jesus would take us all into Heaven and the evil doers would suffer eternal hell, so you better get your life in order folks! 'Cause Jesus is coming at exactly 12:00am, January 1, 2000. So the years went by, I'm 15 years old It's December 31, 1999. I sit on the bed watching the New Years countdown with my mom. I'm not really expecting anything to happen, but being brainwashed with the information for so long I half expected that maybe SOMETHING would happen. So, I waited and I waited...suddenly it's time! The clock strikes 12, and...waiting for some disaster to be announced on the news...NOPE. The world just kept on going...Business as usual!

I must admit I sometimes enjoy reading these predictions, and sometimes even indulge in the thought of 'what if?' But I cannot live my life based around the what if's. I took over a years break from conspiracy sites and guess what, the same predictions are being rehashed with different dates. So what gives?

Are we stuck in some weird repeating time loop/cycle? Are we being encouraged to be in a constant state of panic regarding our future? Or are we just addicted to possible chaos on the horizon and the death and destruction that would ensue if these predictions came to life? Perhaps we are bored with our lives and living in a perpetual state of doom adds some excitement to our mundane lives.

I really don't think it has much to do with media, or not as much as you would think, because predictions have been going on for centuries, I would guess since the beginning of mankind. And it's a world wide phenomenon as well. Is it inherently written in our DNA to yearn for destruction and an end to all we know in hopes of a new better brighter tomorrow?

In my mind, either these things have happened and we've had memory wipes, or we've all died and reincarnated with no recollections, but the dreams and visions we have are just taps into our collective past memories as a human race. Or the boring option that these things just plain and simply don't happen and if so, they do between very large spans of times.

Sometimes I wonder about how much we could accomplish if we got these dates of demise out of our heads and focused on making our world better right now, instead of constantly worrying about or hoping for a better tomorrow.

Here are some failed end of the world predictions from between 30 and 1920 CE. It is interesting to see how many of them are similar to the ones of today.

1179: John of Toledo predicted the end of the world during 1186. This estimate was based on the alignment of many planets.

1843-MAR-21: William Miller, founder of the Millerite movement, predicted that Jesus would come on this date. A very large number of Christians accepted his prophecy.

1844-OCT-22: When Jesus did not return, Miller predicted this new date. In an event which is now called "The Great Disappointment," many Christians sold their property and possessions, quit their jobs and prepared themselves for the second coming. Nothing happened; the day came and went without incident.

1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994, etc. were other dates that the Watchtower Society (WTS) or its members predicted.

Since late in the 19th century, they had taught that the "battle of the Great Day of God Almighty" (Armageddon) would happen in 1914 CE. It didn't.
bullet The next major estimate was 1925. Watchtower magazine predicted: "The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in the Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914; but it would be presumptuous on the part of any faithful follower of the Lord to assume just what the Lord is going to do during that year."

1919: Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on DEC-17.

www.religioustolerance.org...

My favorites are the ones from 1999.

1999-JAN: According to the 1997-JUN-24 issue of Sun Magazine Pope John XXIII predicted in 1962 that visitors from outer space will arrive in chariots of flaming steel and will share their advanced knowledge with humanity. Our life span will be increased to 150 years or longer. Most diseases will be wiped out.

1999-JAN/FEB: Between JAN-20 and FEB-4, an asteroid measuring 20 miles in diameter and traveling about 20,000 miles/hour was predicted to hit earth. At that speed and probable mass, it would totally disrupt all life processes on earth. Dr. Morris Plammer said that a photo of the asteroid was leaked to him by "highly placed friends" within NASA. The photo allegedly contains markings in the shape of a Satanic face.

1999-FEB-23: In 1997-NOV, evangelist Dan Bohler predicted that the Clinton Administration would fail on or about this date. He predicted that there would be tanks driving up and down the main streets in every American city, and that there would be bombs going off in Washington DC. Although not quite as disastrous an event that other predictions, it still would be quite distressing to the people involved.

1999-MAY-8: An Evangelical Christian from New Brunswick, Canada, Terry Peterson, had a vision in 1989. It involved terrible destruction caused by a continent-wide earthquake. The epicenter will be in California, as the entire state plunges "into the ocean as God's punishment for the 'immoral' state's sins." He also reports massive devastation on the east coast of North America. Unfortunately, God only revealed to him a partial date: MAY 8, 199?. The year 1999 is obviously the last possible year. He believes that the earthquake will occur between 11 PM on MAY 7 and one hour before dawn on MAY-8, Eastern time.

1999-JUL: God's Salvation Church in Taiwan taught that Jesus will come to earth in a spaceship during the middle of a nuclear war. Members of the church will climb aboard the spaceship at Lake Street Beach in Miller, IN and be saved. They predicted that the rest of us would have a less joyful experience.

1999-AUG-11 etc.: The WWW site CALENdeRsign® listed a number of astronomical events that will happen as the millennium closes. There has always been an association between such alignments and momentous events in the mind of the public. Starting in late 1999, the following will be observed:
bullet 1999-AUG-11: total solar eclipse about noon; visible from Europe, the Far East and India.
bullet 2000-JAN-21: total lunar eclipse; visible in Europe and US
bullet 2000-APR: Triple planetary conjunction involving Mars, Jupiter & Saturn
bullet 2000-MAY: "Great Conjunction" of Jupiter and Saturn. This also occurred in 7 BCE and is thought by some to be the "star" that some of the Gospels mentioned as leading the three wise men to Jesus.

www.religioustolerance.org...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Sometimes people are wrong.
We are only human.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Good post.

I don't pay too much attention to the supposed dates of Christ's return because I don't necessarily believe in all of that. BUT, I can relate to the comment about yearning for destruction. It feels morbid and selfish, especially since I'm married with our first child due soon, but I think my desire to see and feel destruction is because I feel that life is backwards......you have to experience the end to uncover the beginning. I'm a person who isn't content with most things. I always want to know more, see more, feel more, etc. I want to learn about the beginning.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Sometimes people are wrong.
We are only human.

I'm not talking about people simply being wrong. I'm more interested in the fact that this happens over and over again and there are entire groups of people who latch onto one prediction or another in utter certainty that it will come true. It fails, and it's onto the next one, then the next...I think it's just our nature to desire to witness total collapse and break down of our current existence and see a new beginning.

This has been going on forever!
edit on 11-5-2011 by seeker11 because: better clarification

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My personal all-time favorite prediction was the famously titled, "88 Reasons the Rapture will happen in 1988." A lot of people sold their possessions in anticipation of the event...It didn't. I still don't understand why they sold their possessions.

We will always have predictions and false prophets. For some people, they gain a sense of self worth, that they are chosen and are tapping into something greater than themselves. Others just want to make a buck and others just crave the attention. A few are just plain delusional.

When a true prophet comes, we'll know. Until then, we just have to weed through all of the false prophets and dismiss them.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Awesome post thanks op. Is it just me or could it a common theme to these dates seem to correspond to right before a war or "terrorist" attack. Most of the dates seem to line up within a year or two a geo political movement. It could also be coincided with luck.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
Good post.

I don't pay too much attention to the supposed dates of Christ's return because I don't necessarily believe in all of that. BUT, I can relate to the comment about yearning for destruction. It feels morbid and selfish, especially since I'm married with our first child due soon, but I think my desire to see and feel destruction is because I feel that life is backwards......you have to experience the end to uncover the beginning. I'm a person who isn't content with most things. I always want to know more, see more, feel more, etc. I want to learn about the beginning.

This makes sense to me. Reminds me a bit of my husbands point of view too.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonyinawareness
Awesome post thanks op. Is it just me or could it a common theme to these dates seem to correspond to right before a war or "terrorist" attack. Most of the dates seem to line up within a year or two a geo political movement. It could also be coincided with luck.

Hmm...that is an interesting observation. I'd be interested to see if there is any correlation between predictions and wars. I don't feel like researching it right now though.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
As far as religion is concerned, it's easier to keep people in church if you convince them that Armageddon is right around the corner. "Repent now! The end is near! and while you're at it, we're passing around the offering plate... remember that Jesus only loves you if you give 15%."

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

It continues to happen for a variety of reasons. I'd imagine this mindset often stems from the total lack of happiness the present world is offering some individuals to the perpetual negativity many people love to consume and disseminate. The fact that a good majority of the news now is nothing but negative garbage that includes, greed, sex, and violence, while some of the highest grossing movies are violent horror films where brutal murders are the norm is only a small example of where the general populous holds its concentration. Its sad that so many people would rather see some cataclysmic event destroy mankind, rather than just say no more to the violence, negativity, and fear.
edit on 11-5-2011 by UnknownPhilosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I am Christian and I have been 'watching' for the past 20 years. Only this year have I felt that prophetically significant events are heralding the last days as we witness, in particular this year, an escalation and convergence of activities: Cascading natural disasters, sovereign debts accumulating among many countries around the world, the eruption of protests and social unrest throughout the ME and NA, technological advancements that could plausibly allow for world government and economy and cashless society, Israel being forced into a political checkmate position, and so on.

Jesus said when you begin to see all these things, look up for your redemption draws near – the rapture of the church prior to the Great Tribulation period which he said will be the worse the world has ever experienced (as if the Holocaust and WWII wasn’t bad enough). Now Jesus also said no one knows the day or the hour, but we can see these signs converging and understand that things are coming to a head. No date setting required.

I know there were bigger wars in the past, bigger earthquakes in the pastb bigger storms and floods in the past, larger numbers of deaths in the past and so on. But my point is, we see these things happening moreso now together.

I agree that specifying dates is silly and unwise. But let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let us who are Christian not sleep so to speak, but as Jesus admonished, watch and pray so that that day does not take us by surprise.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist
I am Christian and I have been 'watching' for the past 20 years. Only this year have I felt that prophetically significant events are heralding the last days as we witness, in particular this year, an escalation and convergence of activities: Cascading natural disasters, sovereign debts accumulating among many countries around the world, the eruption of protests and social unrest throughout the ME and NA, technological advancements that could plausibly allow for world government and economy and cashless society, Israel being forced into a political checkmate position, and so on.

Jesus said when you begin to see all these things, look up for your redemption draws near – the rapture of the church prior to the Great Tribulation period which he said will be the worse the world has ever experienced (as if the Holocaust and WWII wasn’t bad enough). Now Jesus also said no one knows the day or the hour, but we can see these signs converging and understand that things are coming to a head. No date setting required.

I know there were bigger wars in the past, bigger earthquakes in the pastb bigger storms and floods in the past, larger numbers of deaths in the past and so on. But my point is, we see these things happening moreso now together.

I agree that specifying dates is silly and unwise. But let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let us who are Christian not sleep so to speak, but as Jesus admonished, watch and pray so that that day does not take us by surprise.

Thank you for proving my point.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I think that we live in a universe full of unknowns and puzzles. The future is one of them.

To some, the sure knowledge of some future event (even a disaster) seems almost comforting.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I understand where you're coming from. However I remember the same types of feelings being described 12 years ago. I'm not saying stuff isn't happening, but we also have a very fear based media outlet and access to everything realtime now to make it seem like things are very much worse and happening more frequently than they ever have been. The world has suffered much over and over again, what makes this time so much different?

ETA Isn't it possible that all this kind of stuff (earthquakes, floods, famines) was happening at the same all over the world before but we just didn't have access to hearing about it immediately due to technology being so much less than it is now. An earthquake happens in one country it takes 9 months to get the letter about it across the sea. Just makes me think.
edit on 11-5-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Decision
As far as religion is concerned, it's easier to keep people in church if you convince them that Armageddon is right around the corner. "Repent now! The end is near! and while you're at it, we're passing around the offering plate... remember that Jesus only loves you if you give 15%."

Weird, seems like most of the prophecies lately have been based in science and pseudoscience. May 11th is more about Nostradamus and planet alignment than God, don't you think? There is the "May 21st" group traveling the country but I don't think many folks believe them.

I guess you could call the groups predicting disclosure as a religious group, but that's not the type of religion you are talking about. Elenin and Nibiru are also far away from the religion types you speak of.

So, what church are you speaking about that speaks incessantly of Armageddon? Most I have talked to sound like the poster above and speak of being prepared...always...for the end. That doesn't mean a person should spend every waking minute obsessing over it, it just means to be prepared spiritually.

Seems its more like these other more scientifically minded folks are the ones obsessing about death, extinction and the end of the world. And though they do not "Tithe" in a church, they do throw more than 15% of their hard earned money at books, videos, bunkers, MREs, guns, water, and every other survivalist thing that they are told they need.

So, which is worse, someone who goes to church for an hour and throws ten bucks into a basket once a week OR the person who spends their life savings on a bunker to hide from the world and panics every time HAARP is mentioned?
edit on 11-5-2011 by Feltrick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The only point that I have proved of yours, is that you are a very angry person who needs help. Kind regards.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

I live in the heart of the Bible belt. I was brought up in a Christian school. I'm constantly surrounded by people who, everytime something bad happens, they remark "we're living in the end times, everything is happening according to what it says in the Bible."

I was not necessarily referring to the members of this forum who, as you pointed out, seem more focused on every geologic/astronomic/solar event, no matter how minor, being some indicator that the world is about to suffer a life-ending calamity.

They're both obsessing about the same event, but for different reasons.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

The only point that I have proved of yours, is that you are a very angry person who needs help. Kind regards.

You sensed anger in what I posted? Odd. I hold no anger at all toward you or anyone else on this forum.

The only resentment I hold toward religion occurs when it stands in the way of education and social/scientific enlightenment, as it so often does.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

There is certainly a point to be made about technology (both media and improved tracking systems), relaying information to us far more quickly and frequently today than in the past. This in and of itself does not negate what Jesus said. We can also consider that we have had the internet and satellite TV around for a number of years, but it has just been noticeable that within the last year, and particularly this year alone, we see an escalation and convergence of activity. Now if that subsides, and the world returns to relatively normal, then the last days may be far more prolonged. But if it continues, then clearly we will witness the final period of time prior to Jesus coming in the not-too-distant future. It’s about watching and understanding the times we live in, no need for date-setting, or fear-based rhetoric that anticipates the end of the world being at our doorstep.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
No body knows when the Rapture will happen. Only God. Thats what I heard.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join