It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third Infantry Finds Chemical Weapons (NEEDS CONFIRMATION)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
This is definately a sketchy source but I thought i'd post it to see if any of you might have a heads up on this from your sources....THOUGHTS?

cbn.org...

AT THE FRONT
Third Infantry Finds Chemical Weapons

By Paul Strand
CBN News War Correspondent

March 26, 2003

"What I just heard from a highly placed source here is that they've discovered, they've captured chemical warheads, they're Russian, they have Russian writing all over them and they are chemical warheads."

CBN.com The Third Infantry Division has captured evidence of chemical weapons as they are fighting Iraqs Republican Guard just 60 miles south of Baghdad. The evidence has yet to be confirmed, but CBN News War Correspondent Paul Strand delivered this exclusive information by satellite phone early Wednesday.
PAT ROBERTSON: We are going to our CBN News War Correspondent Paul Strand, embedded with the Army's Third Infantry Division. That's the spearhead of the attack against Baghdad. Paul, we understand you have some shocking news about chemical warheads. Tell us about it.

PAUL STRAND: Yes, Pat, I do. First of all, I hope you can hear me because I am out in that raging sandstorm and its hard to hear you. I hope you hear me okay. What I just heard from a highly placed source here is that they've discovered, they've captured chemical warheads, they're Russian, they have Russian writing all over them and they are chemical warheads. Of course, they can't get into them and find out if theres chemicals because once they open them they'd all die right there on the spot. But they're gonna ship them off for testing.

They also captured a launcher that was able to shoot these very munitions that they've captured. And theyve captured a man who mixes the chemicals, that was his job with the Medina Division which is the division we're facing right now near the city of Karbala. So all these things leading the military here to believe we might have been hit by chemical shells any time now, and we're not sure we've got them all. So those are the developments here near Karbala about 60 miles south of Baghdad.

ROBERTSON: Paul, I can hear you loud and clear, so don't worry about that. Let me ask you this, are these the type of weapons of mass destruction that has been talked about so much by President Bush?

STRAND: Im not sure, Pat. Ive told you just everything I heard. It happened just a few minutes ago. I would think this is definitely the smoking gun. Its so strange, because the joke before this war was that Saddam says, "I have no chemical weapons, and if you invade I will use them on you." And now we find out theyre right out there with the frontline troops.

And another disturbing thing I heard a few days ago, was that he has pushed the level of authority for using these weapons down to the commander level. Not up around him, but the very commanders out on the line, they can use these things, they can choose to use them. So that means young officers have the orders now that they can go ahead and use these things if they feel like they are about to be overtaken. So thats another disturbing development. Not only have we found the warheads, but officers out on the frontline can use them.

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have a disturbing feeling that we will be seeing much more direct evidence of chem weapons very soon...

Interesting that they are pointing out that they are russian manufacture.... Wonder what kind of munitions they are? The most common Russian field portable rocket artillery would be the 122mm Katuysha

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   
As Saddam doesn't have chemical weapons...right?

Seriously, let's hope this isn't another pre-mature announcement, and that they get their facts straight this time...

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am still waiting to hear a response from France (who claimed loud and long that there wasnt any WMD to allow us to attack) regarding the large number of captured Iraqi officers (perfectly healthy) who each carried 60 units of Cipro on thier persons????

How about the hospital where they found (in addition to a T55 tank and hundreds of AK-47s/RPGs) 3000 chem suits and thousands of atropine autoinjectors???

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
CAMP AS SAYLIYAH, Qatar A U.S. general said Wednesday the discovery of 3,000 chemical suits in a central Iraqi hospital that had been used as an Iraqi base raised concern that Saddam Hussein's regime was prepared to use chemical weapons.

"What we found at the hospital reinforces our concern," said Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks. "We are well-prepared to deal with the potential use of chemical weapons."

In addition to the chemical suits, the Central Command reported earlier that Marines found and confiscated gas masks and nerve gas antidote injectors in the hospital near An Nasiriyah.

Asked about 14 civilians killed in Baghdad in what Iraq said was a U.S. bombing, Brooks said that he had no information on the incident.

"We don't have a report that corroborates that, so I can't confirm it," he said. "We do everything physically and scientifically possible to be precise in our targeting."

Asked about reports that a large contingent of Iraq's elite Republican Guard were headed south toward U.S. Marines in central Iraq, Brooks said, "We've not seen any significant movements of the type of force you've described.

"There have been local positionings and survival positionings, but not serious attacks and we certainly remain, we believe, well in control of the situation at hand," he said.

A Central Command spokesman later said there were military reports of "significant numbers" of troops moving south.

Brooks said two Baath Party headquarters had been destroyed by coalition forces overnight: one in Basra was demolished in a raid and close air support strikes hit another in Al Samawah.

Brooks confirmed a series of firefights overnight in An Najaf. V Corps sustained "a few damaged vehicles" but inflicted "significant damage" on Iraqi forces, he said.

He said to date Iraq had fired 10 missiles that were either downed by Patriot missiles or allowed to fall harmlessly. Several had flown well beyond the 93-mile limit imposed by U.N. sanctions, including one that flew about 120 miles and landed in the Persian Gulf.

Brooks showed images of an Iraqi military vehicle hidden under a bridge and a military base near a mosque and school. Also shown was communications equipment positioned in ancient ruins marked with the international symbol denoting it was a historical site.

Intelligence officers with the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force said the Republican Guard units were headed with a 1,000-vehicle convoy from Baghdad on a route that avoids advancing U.S. Army forces but leads directly to the Marines who have been fighting in recent days around the city of An Nasiriyah.

Brooks said that there had been fighting between different groups of Iraqis in the contested southern city of Basra, where British reports suggested there may have been an uprising against Saddam Hussein's regime.

"We saw fighting in the city between Iraqis -- some of them in uniform, some not," he said.

He said Iraqi paramilitary forces were "shooting into the town of Basra" and compared their behavior to "global terrorists."

"It was a very confusing situation, to say the least," Brooks added.

He said that U.S.-led forces hold more than 4,000 prisoners of war and that the coalition had contacted the International Committee of the Red Cross to arrange a visit.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 10:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:38 AM
link   
What is wrong with finding antidotes to chemical war fare? They could have them for protection against their own chemical weapons, or they could have them in case another nation attacks them.

The whole story about finding the chemical protection suites and antidotes is a bunch of propaganda. Yes they did find that stuff, but they are convincing the american population that finding safety gear from chemical war fare is bad. The news reports said they found it in a HOSPITAL. People think of hospitals as a good place to be and helpful, so when they here on the news that stuff to do with the war was found in a hospital they become outraged.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
you also think that military uniforms, automatic weapons are also standard hospital supplies?

Where the hell do you live? Remind me not to go to a hospital there....

We're not using chemical weapons, they know this.

"They could have them for protection against their own chemical weapons"

THAT is the whole "freakin" point!!! They supposedly don't HAVE any!!! That's why it's such a big deal....

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Don't you guys have anything better to do than this ?
Day in day out, the same actions from the pro war front... always seeking a reason to justify the war sometimes they even make things up...

Pathetic, that's I call it...

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think they are doing a good job. They are trying to see if Saddam has been lying about his chemical weapons. The key words were "Needs Confermation".

Pathetic, no. Smart, yes.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by joehayner
I think they are doing a good job. They are trying to see if Saddam has been lying about his chemical weapons. The key words were "Needs Confermation".

Pathetic, no. Smart, yes.

No, not smart if you want to be credible. Just tell it like it is, you want to find something so bad that every noise about it makes you cheer, Do you really think Saddam is so stupid to hide those things from UN Inspectors and US Troops walk in and find them right away ?

If you are smart you can think that Saddam will have those things close to himself (if he has any) and he doesn't trust anyone.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
you also think that military uniforms, automatic weapons are also standard hospital supplies?

Where the hell do you live? Remind me not to go to a hospital there....

We're not using chemical weapons, they know this.

"They could have them for protection against their own chemical weapons"

THAT is the whole "freakin" point!!! They supposedly don't HAVE any!!! That's why it's such a big deal....

You guys are not only pathetic, but also paranoid, close to become a psychopaths.
So the fact that suits have been found is a proof that Saddam has chemical weapons ? What a joke... please stop... Name me one country in this world that doesn't have suits and gas masks..

Ever thought about other use ? Like protection against the burning oil trenches ? Ever noticed how many smoke that causes ? Gasmask aren't only used as protection against Chemical or Biological weapons.. Please I ask for the third time, stop this madness...

Dont forget the fact that US is using Depleted Uranium... I won't tell how much worse that is than anything else. That is a way to disable many generations at once. I see that as an bigger act against Humanity. That is exactly what your leaders want you to do... keep point the finger at Saddam, so you don't notice their dirty actions.

[Edited on 27-3-2003 by TigeriS]

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   
As someone who (volunteered by proxy) works with a HAZMAT team and currently has a Level A suit and airpack, I have to say a few things on this...

First of all, these suits are NOT easy to come by, cheap, or used for any other purpose. My Level A suit would likely keep me alive in say a VX attack (we only have one butyl rubber suit, all the rest were tyvek, and I grabbed it, knowing tyvek would get me killed if there were a gas attack), however, it is NOT purpose made for it. True chem suits (which these were) are double walled butyl rubber with a powdered charcoal lining to absorb the gas. The respirators include filter cartridges specifically made for nerve agents (filter cartridges that are commercially available may or may not, more likely not, work on nerve agents. Those that are commonly available are designed for Organic vapors, or standard riot control agents. The nerve agent filters dont work on either one, and are FAR more expensive, and available only to the military).

The suit I have, or even the tyvek suits would be perfectly suited to the needs you mentioned. And, as the tyvek suits are about 1/25 of what a chem suit costs, I have a hard time seeing why they wouldnt have tyvek or even butyl rubber if they needed to supply a hazmat unit.

They have so far found over 3000 of these suits. Our HAZMAT unit has about 25 people, with another 8 of us in my group as backup. We serve a municipal area of about 9 million people. 3000 hazmat setups would be enough for the entire eastern half of the US.

The atropine autoinjector (think they found 5000 of them) is a disposable unit, about 8 inches long. You pop the lip off, stick it on your thigh, push a button, it automatically sticks a needle in you and injects a large amount of atropine, which temporarily blocks the effects of nerve agents on the central nervous system, and puts your body into overdrive for about 5 minutes, in the hopes that you can stand up and stagger into fresh air. There are NO other uses for this device.... if you were to use it on someone NOT affected by nerve agent, it will put you into cardiac arrest in less than 10 seconds.

There is NO other reason for these materials to be anywhere in Iraq. Where there is smoke there is fire....

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Stop what madness....making decisions and inferences based on fact? Sorry, we will continue with this "madness". Soldiers are concerned with weight, mobility, and need. If something is bulky, hard to move in (i.e. chemical suits and gas masks), and un-needed (as these would ordinarily be), then it simply is not equipped, especially when your combat boots have holes in them, and your weapons are half a century old... Not once have I said this "proves" Saddam has chemical weapons...but instead, it is simply mounting evidence towards that conclusion.

"Gasmask aren't only used as protection against Chemical or Biological weapons.." Maybe, so I suppose the Atropine is to keep the smoke out of their eyes???

No, will YOU please stop denying logic...

new topics

top topics

join