It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manufacturing/Design question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I need help getting my design manufactured in bulk. It's a simple 7 inch flexible gooseneck with an alligator clip on one end, and a tension clip on the other end. I'm new to all of this, so my questions are:

Is there a certain software my blueprints need to be designed in for manufacturers to accept?

How do I contact manufacturers directly?

I'm looking for about 1000 units, is it more cost effective to buy the parts individually in bulk and assemble them myself? [Tension Clip 1/4 inch diameter, Alligator Clip (medium duty) 7 inch gooseneck material ( medium stiffness)]

Thanks in advance for any advice.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

Send bids out to manufacturers of small parts such as this.
Do NOT use one of those pay copyright services they are ridiculous!
In sending out your specifications draw something, doesn't have to be professional, just clear enough that the people know what it is they are building and bidding on.(even hand drawn sketches work great - you wouldn't believe what gets built this way)
Ask for a mok-up or prototype first before production, and have them and yourself sign off on this.
There is more to it but these are the basics send me a message if you need more info.

I thought it was 10,000 units but still some very small companies are hurting right now, it may be in your best interest to do it yourself if you have time. Rate your time vs. any bids you get back.
But remember if you are selling these and they take off, you will need a manufacturer to produce them fast. You have to make a judgement call on this.
edit on 5/11/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Autocad is generally accepted and used by most manufacturing companies. If you are only looking for around 1000 units, it would be best just to assemble the pieces yourself. The only way you will come out ahead by having the units assembled elsewhere would be to order bulk amounts, which would be in the 10's of thousands.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I know alot of people Use RHINO to make things for manufacturing.

You can also upload your file to shapeways.com... and you'll get it in the mail a few days later in your hand. Pretty darn cool if you ask me.

(as far as spings and all the inner workings, I don't know) lol
edit on 11-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

Speaking from the stand point of an engineer with more than 2 decades of experience, I can share with you how I would approach your project. First, I would purchase enough material to build 10 end products to validate your Bill of Materials (BOM), assembly procedure, and business market (if necessary). Next, if the parts are readily available off-the-shelf from a supplier and can be used without further modifications, then negotiate a blanket purchase order for delivery of smaller lots (100 sets?) over some longer delivery period (if necessary). To assemble your product, contact a local machine shop for a quotation on light assemble services or contact a temporary help agency and hire light assembly employee's (assuming you have the required tools).

Best regards,
Z

new topics

top topics

join