It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal Gun story you won't see on the news!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Some people choose to be sheep.

Some people choose to be wolves.

I choose to be a sheepdog. Don’t mess with the sheep.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

A funny/scary story that happened to me here in Orlando Florida about a year ago.
I was at the McDonalds on O.B.T. near I-4 (a truly nasty area) One evening sitting on my motorcycle, drinking a cup of coffee and playing on my phone and minding my own business. I was so into my phone that I was unaware that 3 young men had approached the front of my bike and were attempting to goad me into a confrontation. I finally heard them and looked up and around to see who they were talking to.They were talking to me. DUH. After a few moments of being called every name in the book and threatened I had enough. I told them the best thing they could do was leave me alone and let me go about my business.That didnt work out.The one slightly to my right said"What you wanna do,Cracker"? and pulled up his shirt to reveal a semi-auto.At that point,as fast as my arm could move, I pulled my .357 snub nose and pointed it directly at his head. I said, I got a permit for mine, do you? Who do you think is going to win this one? I think now would be a good time for you gentlemen to leave" After a few tough words and some threats they left.
Now the funny/scary part. I sat there for a minute until they were out of sigh and shook like I was having a seizure.I went to put my weapon back in the holster and something didnt seem right.When I opened the cylinder I saw that there was not a single round in it. I had forgotten to load it in my rush to leave the house. Needless to say I got out of there quick, fast and in a hurry and never have I stopped at that McDonalds again.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Spacedeck

Now I've moved away and got a GF and I get so worried being out at nighttime when I'm with her because I know if anything happens I have no way to protect us other then my fists, I'm sort of skinny and never been in a fight in my life. They can do what they want to me though but my main worry is if anyone ever touched her.

Most of my fighting experience came from being just like you! I was 120lbs when I graduated high school. I was a little cocky, I always had good-looking girlfriends, nice cars, and I grew up in a rural area on the edge of an Indian Reservation. For my size, I found it was always better to strike first than to wait around and see what someone's real intentions were. Looking back, that might have been a bad strategy, but it got me through at the time.

As I got older, I finally grew up, both mentally and physically. Now, at 240lbs, with my experience as a little guy, I am a force to reckon with, but I never have to take action. My maturity and size prevents 99.9% of all confrontations.

My advice is to get some experience fighting. Join an MMA club, or take boxing lessons, or just buy some gear and fight your buddies in the backyard. You'll never know how it feels until you take a few shots to the face and ribs and then continue on. One important thing I've learned is to be patient. Be patient before the fight, and be patient during the fight. I once got in a fight with this guy, and he got me in a sleeper hold, I was pretty helpless, I thought I was screwed, but then I noticed, he wasn't hurting me whatsoever, and he was supporting a lot of my weight and wearing himself out. I just hung there until his arms got tired, when he started to sag, I flipped him over my shoulders, climbed on top of him, and made him pay, LOL!

There is nothing wrong with being a little guy, but you have to acknowledge it and play to your own strengths. Awareness and attitude are so important in every situation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

Holy crap! You did the right thing though. These idiots think they are tough but they have never been pushed back and most dont even know how to shoot or handle a gun.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
These guys look like they are straight out of Deliverance ...

Just because somebody had to...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

LOL! The fact that you ignored them in the first place probably had them feeling a little intimidated. I'm sure they are used to getting a more dramatic reaction, LOL!

After those situations, there is always that adrenaline dropoff. You are weak, shaky, sometimes even tunnel-visioned. Adrenalin is an amazing thing! You can be superhuman for those few important moments, but then you crash immediately afterwards.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
To the OP: Did you think the .380 round would've been enough gun if you had to pull it and fire? Well done to take control of the situation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thats sounds pretty dodgy, I would assume that they were looking to steal your bike and saw your wife as an easy target. Report their description to the poliice please as they may be linked to crimes not solved and your knowledge could help a great deal verifying their truck etc. They may have had even more sinister intentions which is why I would urge you to report their odd behavour.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Very well told.
However it reminds me of a treatment for the opening sequence of a road movie! All the cliches.. in fact it could fitr right into the Stephen King film Desperation..

Works well as a movie treatment. As a piece of pro-gun propaganda, it just reminds me of how alien US culture really is, although most of the NZ population seems to believe you're just like us, except you're all fatter and you talk differently (although less differently as time goes on. I heard an elderly Far Right polly say 'different than' in a patsy meet-the-media campaign interview last week. It seemed he was deliberately trying to update his fusty elderly image by talking like a teenager who learned all his grammar from American Idol)

Note - different than is not just different - it's wrong!
Word Reference forum thread

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by crudos
To the OP: Did you think the .380 round would've been enough gun if you had to pull it and fire? Well done to take control of the situation.

100% without a doubt.

I have some special rounds for it that are supposed to transfer 100% of the kinetic energy and never "pass-through." They are similar to what Air Marshalls use.

Also, getting shot really, really hurts, LOL! It gives you a jolt, it burns, it is loud and scary. There is blood and uncertainty and fear. A friend of mine in highschool got shot in the back with a .22LR. He screamed and lashed about, it was very dramatic (it almost killed him, it lodged between his heart and lungs, and they couldn't remove it. The bullet is still in him.)

I think the .380 would have easily stopped there progress, and if I was able to do a "double-tap" it would probably be deadly.

I used to carry a 1911 .45 acp. I love that gun! But, it was too big, and sometimes I would decide to leave it at home, because it was just a little uncomfortable and hard to conceal. After thinking on it, I decided a .380 in my pocket beats a .45 at home on any day!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by crudos

A .22 could be enough if you know how to use. I admit a .380 does not have the stopping power that some other calibers do but it is effective as a deterrent and def if you know what you are doing it can get the job done. I prefer a .40 myself, I believe it combines the best stopping power with the least recoil, especially if you have a quality handgun.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

It does sound cliche, but it is exactly how it unfolded.

Sometimes I worry about how my stories will be received, because I have some stories that are out of this world. Truth is, when I tell them, rather than exaggerate, I usually downplay them a little to make them believable. Some of the stories from my youth, even I can't believe. I look back and wonder how I survived those years? I have two sons now, and I cannot begin to imagine them getting into 5% of the things I got into. Once they hit their teen years, I doubt I will ever sleep again.
edit on 12-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Seeing how your story ends, I wouldn't call it boring at all. Without associating you with C. Sheen, I'd dare say it was a winner!

And for all the kids who listened, the OP said his hair were salt and pepper. That means experience.

Glad you knew how to react and that both you and your wife are OK!

I know my hair would have a little more salt in them if I were to meet Cannibal Rednecks out in the open...

And your story proves one point; weapons don't hurt people. People do.

A Whew! and a Bravo for you!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

handled very well, did the right movements and everything went smooth. Took extra precautions to make sure they would back off and leave once you got there.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

That was a awesome story. Sounds like these people were freaks, good on you for having this end without incident.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
that is completly crazy. i would be so freaked out. good job man at being so brave

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
S&F OP. You acted exactly as you needed to and should have. Your bearing in the situation is commendable because I feel that too many others would have reacted hastily and in poor judgement and in most cases would at least pulled their firearm out during the confrontation. Doing so could have had several different consequences; worst one them also carrying firearms and pulling them out with a resulting firefight. Far fetched? Maybe.

Just another perfect example of guns not killing people, people killing people.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I myself am not a fan of guns I prefer knives myself but I applaud anyone who carries any form of self defence as you never know when you'll need it. I always carry my Kabar TDI where ever I go as it makes me feel safe even if I dont have to use it. Matter of fact most people dont even know I carry a knife on me as Its quite easy to conceal and I never pull it out for show.

Lots of people always ask what the need for a knife is but I always tell them it gives you confidence that you normally wouldnt have if you were confronting someone unarmed, not to mention its always there if you do ever need it..Funny thing is a lot of my friends make fun of me for carrying my weapon at all times yet every single time they have to go into the city or a bad area they always ask me to come along or if they could borrow one of my knives.. I believe everyone should arm themselves with atleast a knife, and a gun if your a responsible enough to carry one.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here In Canada It is very difficult to carry , I have wondered weather if it was easier If I would carry or not
part of me says I would like to ,..but the legal system , chance for accident , or something else going wrong
I don't think I would ,...& i don't know if I could react as well as the OP did ,...I have been in a few situations where I have gotten that "spidy sense " feeling the most recent was when we went to a restaurant , I did not realize at the time but we weren't really in a good part of town & ended off parking next to a methadone clinic,...
When we came out & were crossing the street to the car there were some shady types watching us
& one who was literally shaking ,..in a leather jacket had really fixed his eyes on us & began to approach ,...
he picked up his stride enough that I knew he would meet us halfway to the car ,...I told my wife to slow right down
& stay behind the car , I then locked my eyes to his & double timed it very aggressively directly to him ,...so I could get past my car before he could even get to it ,...I could tell he definatly wasn't expecting this ...he faltered a little bit but continued,... at about 2 feet away from him I put my hand in my pocket , to keep him guessing if I had a weapon,..( I didnt) when I was right up him I said " Hi there " He kind of looked around & paused for a bit , then said " hey man do you have a light " I said "sorry "
But he looked kinda crazy & I did not want to turn my back on him so I was right up in his face & put on my meanest face & stared him down for a few seconds ,...then what I thought was kinda weird ,....his posture seemed to relax & he said "ok my name is Chet" & he extended his hand ,...now I did take karate when I was a kid so I immediately remembered how I could use that hand to take him down fairly quickly , ..because I was suspicious of it,...I shook his hand & said " alright Chet you take care" & I continued to stare at him , then he turned around & left ,....I then got in the car my wife was already in ,...this guy did look pretty scary
& I was a bit frightened because I had that feeling ,....but it turned out ok ,...
There are far more dangerous places people live with gangs & such where your likely to be outnumbered ,...
I would really want an equalizer in those areas ,...but really anything can happen anywhere,....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Spacedeck

Its not really your size that matters Space. I would suggest taking a Jujitsu class. Its a very effective fighting style that uses agility more than strength. I have spared with people that out weigh me by 50 pounds or more and have been able to force them to tap out because of my agility.

As far as the OP's story I'm glad it worked out like it did. You handled it perfectly. I have only had my gun out once and it wasn't because of a person. I live in the Pacific Northwest and do a lot of hiking. On one hike I was hearing sounds of something following me. It was evening time and I was alone. The hair on the back of my neck was standing up and I had the feeling of something moving it so I pulled my pistol and turned around. Never saw anything but I know what it was. We have a lot of cougars around here and one was moving it on me. It wasn't my first time being tracked by a big cat, and likely not my last. Its a very scary feeling being tracked. If I had run I likely wouldn't be replying to this thread today.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join