It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal Gun story you won't see on the news!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
That lesson should be in school books.

Using firearms without firing a single bullet should become an art.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Eventually, this bunch will run into someone wired a bit looser than yourself.

On that day, the gene pool will be a bit cleaner!

Good job on taking care of the wife! I was sort of hoping she was going to pull out a "hawg leg" though

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by orinoco4
Good for you well handled, there's a lot of baddies in this world, unfortunately here in the UK we can't have guns legally, the people that do have them are bad so it goes against the grain to get one of those, I dont know how your situation would have gone for me in this country.

in the uk you would have not had much choice you would have either had to run or let them take the bike,

from the sounds of the story i deduce they were after the bike.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

What a terrible display of self defense.

Great story and I am glad that you are ok.
You must be a knuckle dragging savage to carry such an evil invention.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Can I ask if you are good with the weapon. Do you put in any practice being accurate with moving targets etc....?

I used to be much better, and shoot every weekend. I have attended a couple of little weekend courses, and I have hunted my whole life. Lately though, I have only been getting to the range once every few months. It is not enough, and this is a new gun, so I really need to get a lot more practice in with it.

I think that is a great question. I am handy and experienced enough to be able to reach in and click the safety off by touch, and I have shot enough to know that I can point and shoot pretty accurately without taking time to actually aim. In my opinion, people spend too much time perfecting "aim" when in real situation they will probably only be able to point and shoot. So, I spend the majority of my time at the range pointing and shooting at a target of about 25 feet or less. I only spend a little time actually using the sights.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by akapapasmurf

Originally posted by orinoco4
Good for you well handled, there's a lot of baddies in this world, unfortunately here in the UK we can't have guns legally, the people that do have them are bad so it goes against the grain to get one of those, I dont know how your situation would have gone for me in this country.

in the uk you would have not had much choice you would have either had to run or let them take the bike,

from the sounds of the story i deduce they were after the bike.

You may be right; But you don't KNOW...and are at the mercy of the creeps best "morals".

and then o.p. would have drawn his weapon as a last ditch tool to protect his wife and property.Great story and perfectly "executed" defense.

Same as with the " overthrow tyrannical govt" argument thoughtfully provided by the second ammendment ( That constantly gets laughs from the anti-gunners") . Nobody wants to go up against the federal govt. with their personal weapons .....but in the very worst situation its better to have that "last ditch" option.
edit on 12-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

being european, for many things i can't understand american culture. but i like the possibility of carring a gun. here i am confined to some years of boxe and a baseball bat under the seat of the car.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
That was a great story, very well played! Starred & flagged

It's a shame firearm laws are so restrictive here in Australia, and this is coming from a more-or-less pacifist who has no relation to the stereotypical right-wing gun advocacy crowd. I honestly believe that simply owning a gun can certainly make a difference in a life or death situation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

My only question for the OP......Why the hell did I have to read this here??? LMAO

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

Bandito, that is a horrible story. I am so glad your sis was able to at least put up a fight and help get the guy caught. I'm sure it helped her mental recovery a lot to know that she might have saved her baby and herself. Rape is bad enough, but keeping a little bit of power and control and getting a good result like surely gives her some solace.

I think your advice is good. It is also important for any woman to be aware of their surroundings at all times.

I am a grown man, but when I get out of a car at night, I stand straight up and have a look around before walking away from the car. If I go out to get into a car at night, I flip on the dome light and peek in the backseat before getting into the car. Once I am inside the car, I lock the doors. A woman should take every precaution to be prepared and aware. It might not prevent all attacks, but it might be a deterrent from an opportunistic attacker.

My Dad used to own convenience stores and truckstops, and the #1 rule for all cashiers was to look every person in the face as they entered the store. That one deterrent probably helped to quell many amateur robberies. The next rule was give them whatever they want, it can be replaced. The last and most scary rule was, do not leave with them. If someone is going to shoot you, make them do it in the store where help is likely to walk in. Don't let them drag you off in the woods somewhere and do it. Cashiers never liked getting the little lecture that Dad gave, but he never had anyone harmed or killed over the years, he only had a handful of robberies, so something worked.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Why the hell did you not take there number
and give it to the police???
they sound like a rape team.
and you are now part of the rape
of all the women that they rape from now,
and maybe kill!!!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Be aware of your surroundings, eye contact, engage the person and ALWAYS remember your distances. There is a range where it is no longer wise to attempt to pull a weapon and other tactics must be used. This is why millitary and police practice using angles, it adds distance between the assailant and allows you to safely pull a weapon. This range is varies according to the situation such as landscape and location of your weapon, most police preach about a 12-15 ft range. If someone closes this distance your options change to diversions, verbal warnings, hand-to-hand or the good ole....RUN!!!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

LOL! Sorry dude. It was a busy weekend, I meant to tell you about it. We'll have story time soon, and we can discuss T.O. assaulting his goats that he didn't know he had!

For the rest of ATS, I had a friend that refused to mow his backyard. It was inside a privacy fence and his neighbors couldn't see it, but it was driving me crazy. So, one day, I stopped by and bought two goats, and I dropped them in his backyard. I put a bowl down under his water hose faucet and I turned it to drip slowly so it would keep the bowl full of fresh water.

Then, he didn't notice and I forgot about it.

2 weeks later, he is out with me, his girlfriend is at home, and she keeps calling him freaking out that someone is trying to get in the backdoor. He thinks she is just be panicky and he ignores her the first time. She called back hysterical, so he got scared and drove home. He carries a .357 revolver on him. When he gets to the house, there is something periodically banging on the back door? He can't see what it is, so he grabs his gun, flings the door open, and rolls out into the weeds commando style! When he looks up, he is face to face with two goats!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mutante

here i am confined to some years of boxe and a baseball bat under the seat of the car.

Funny you should say that. By coincidence, I had just taught my wife the proper way to use a baseball bat a couple of weeks ago. There is also a thread somewhere on ATS where I debated about the pros and cons of a baseball bat. It is a GREAT self-defense weapon, but only if used properly. Over the years, I have taken baseball bats away from people a couple of times, and they are left dumbfounded and defenseless.

To properly use a baseball bat, use two hands, one low, and one very high on the cylinder. Use it to "poke," "block," and "swipe" at an attacker. Don't ever think you can rare back and swing it hard. If you get the advantage by poking them hard in a vulnerable area like the groin or neck or diaphragm, then you have an opportunity get in a good hard swing, but don't try to swing it if they are charging or attacking, or close to you. It is far too easy for an experienced fighter to step into a swing, neutralize the power, and grab the bat away from you.

Use the bat to punish them if they try to get close to you, use it to maintain your distance and get to a door, and use the bat to fend off any of their strikes. It is the perfect weapon for a smaller person to fend off an attacker and escape.

In my opinion, an aluminum T-ball bat is perfect for a woman. It is light, hard, and easy to handle.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanishr
reply to post by DInglis

Indeed, its just as some of these Yanks say, there very hard to get ahold of, yet the real criminals still get ahold of them, so what are we to do !?

Yeh criminals get guns and yet in the UK if you even swear at a guy trying to rob your house with a gun they get away with it for emotional assult or some rubbish like that , he wouldnt be doing much robbing if a blew his bloody legs off would he ! lol

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
As long as we're sharing stories...

Some years back I was leaving a friend's place. It was late, the neighborhood not the best to be in at that time.
As I left his building (parking in the rear), I noticed a group of four fellas by the parking lot's entrance. I kept an eye on them as I walked to the car, and when I got to it and unlocked it, they all started moving in my direction. I could see them looking around as they approached, as if they were checking for anyone else in the area.

I got into the car and locked the door (no brainer there). They kept heading in my direction, a little quicker now. When they got 15 or so feet from me, and were still coming, I took out my .45 and, while staring straight at them, simply placed the pistol on the dashboard. In about .02 seconds, they all made a smart about face and headed in the other direction.

I figure that pistol saved me a good bit of grief that night, and I never even clicked it off "safe". When those fellas had gone around the corner (rather quickly, I might add), I started the car and left, found a nearby cop, and told him what had just happened, giving him a brief description of the fellas. He knew just who they were, and thanked me for the info. As I, too, am in Fl., he never asked me anything about the pistol.

I think you handled the situation just right. No drama, no chaos, no gun waving. Glad y'all made it out ok. You just never know these days...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Those aliminium bats are awesome, they are hard to come by in the UK, but as you say they are light, hit hard and make an awesome *chink* noise

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I was wearing denim overalls, biker boots, and no shirt

redneck.

Just kidding. I say that because I am a few states away and I feel I can get away with it.

Did you call the cops and report this? It almost sounds like they were making room in the back for your wife to take a ride with them, if not her, then maybe someone else.

Glad you two are safe.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

You were wrong in what you did.
You should have let them make some stupid move of some sort, and then pulled your gun and either shot them dead or shot them wounded and called the law.
Shame on you for letting them escape to predatorize someone who does not have a gun.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanishr

Those aliminium bats are awesome, they are hard to come by in the UK, but as you say they are light, hit hard and make an awesome *chink* noise

You can get them in JJB sports i used to have one (for legal reasons lol)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join