It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal Gun story you won't see on the news!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks for everyone's responses and compliments. I didn't think about how this would be read by people in Cali, or Illinois, or the UK where gun rights are so much more strict. It is sad to live in fear, and it is even more sad when we have to fear one another. My opinions on guns come from a lifetime of experience with them, and I personally think everyone should have at least a cursory knowledge of how to operate a gun, and I believe everyone should have the right to own and carry one.

I can't believe there are highly educated and accomplished people that still think law-abiding gun owners are "dangerous." The Governor's opinion from Illinois quoted above is just appalling to me. He says lawmakers should know what the "people" think. Maybe Illinois should put it up for open ballot to the whole state? I bet the Governor would find himself in the minority opinion, and then like a good politician, I bet his opinion would change to match the more popular one.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The good thing is that you were able to protect yourself. The sad thing is that these people were clearly sexual predators, and they are still out there.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I have had a number of strange incidents over the years.

I always leave them guessing.

One big problem in my neighborhood was people from other parts of town using the alley.

You would see them walk the alley and there head would pop over the fence as they would check out the back yards.

We finely got together with the other neighbors and found all our deeds listed the alley as a utility corridor.

We put up gates on both ends and posted with no trespassing signs listing property owner and utilities only
allowed

Then we started stopping people that were trespassing.

When we made these stops one or more of us would stay back with a hand out of sight behind our back like we were packing.

This would spook the trespassers as they never knew if that person was armed or if any of us were armed.

Funny thing in a number of cases the trespasser was arested when the cops showed up. Not for trespassing but for outstanding criminal warrants.

Seams people with arrest warrants don't like to walk down the sidewalk but walk in alleys so the cops don't see them. Being criminals they also used this as a way to find places to steal from.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
in my opinion Florida has it just about right. my folks recently had an incident with a neighbor who just happened to be involved in the drug trade. the local sheriff RECOMMENDED buying a gun and keeping it in the glove compartment. to not allow all citizens to carry the means to defend themselves assumes: (1) our civilization has matured to the point where we no longer murder and exploit each other, or failing that, (2) the police are able to instantly appear on the scene to prevent any abduction/attack in 100% of cases. not sure which of these is more absurd.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
nice work. i recently owned a bar, and felt much better about things once i got my .45. I was more confident and was able to diffuse situations better knowing i had it.

And the best part is, i never had to pull it out

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
You and your wife handled this horrible situation very well if i was in your wifes shoes i would have been shakeing in my boots and you would have been my hero
I own guns and im all for them i took a gun class a few years back and it was well worth my time ..Your not bragging or acting tough your telling a true story and one that could have gone very bad quickly its always good to be informed and thank you so much for your chilling story im glad it all came out well in the end and your both safe

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
thats bloody creepy glad u both are fine

what was they insinuating by moving stuff in the bk of the truck..were they gona throw your partner in the back or steal the bike...glad u handled it so well......dave

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Great read, and I do believe that people hesitate to assault \ rob in states where owning a gun is legal. Criminals will always find a way to get guns, but its the law abiding citizen who needs to be thought of when these laws are being considered.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It does frighten me, that criminals generally have greater access to guns and are more willing to carry knives in states/countries that have strict laws on carrying weapons. If you are familiar with how incredibly docile and sheltered many people are, a single person with even a simple blade can terrorise an entire group despite being able to overpower/overwhelm the assailant. There are a very few good people left, that can still protect themselves.
edit on 12-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Awesome story! I'd never thought I needed a gun but your story is inspiring. I'm definitely not out to harm anyone or anything but life, as it is, has those that would do harm. So one must defend themselves. Too bad getting a hand gun permit in NY is such a process, like 6 months. And I don't know if we can carry a concealed weapon either. I'll have to do a search
edit on 12-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm from the UK so we have vastly different gun laws, but I can understand how having one would add confidence to someone in a possibly life-threatening situation. However, it is a thin line and that added confidence can easily push the armed person too far and make things worse. I think you handled the situation well, the element of surprise definitely helped as you could see it completely confused the 2 men and the women.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
It is always about that level of confidence and it is funny when you do not feel it but others perceive it.

I recently meet up with a guy I knew some years ago. A massive guy who did cage fighting and used to be the head bouncer for a bar I managed. This guy was intimidating to be even standing next to in my opinion, but he told me he always respected the way I handled myself in violent confrontational situations.

It is amazing what "acting" purposeful will achieve.

If I lived in the US I would def carry a gun if allowed.( I live in NZ where it is not a real issue ) . But I would not want to be caught unarmed VS armed.

Can I ask if you are good with the weapon. Do you put in any practice being accurate with moving targets etc....?

edit on 11/19/09 by thedeadtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Truthfully, while I was reading the well-written description of the encounter I became a little nervous. I couldn't imagine being in such a tense encounter such as that one.

I'm not physically asking you to do this, but could you imagine how that encounter would have gone if you couldn't legally carry a firearm or a knife on you? Because I certainly don't think that the Hills Have Eyes rejects really care about the law or not, I'm sure they had a shotgun or rifle in the truck. And I seriously doubt that they just stopped for a nice look at the river... it sounds like they were focused on a different type of scenery since the two men got out and the woman stayed back.

It also makes me wonder if the encounter would have gone over so smoothly if you didn't physically look intimidating. A shirtless, rugged biker can be a fairly intimidating thing to see. Then again so can two hillbillies who look like they're from the Deliverance movie.
That made me crack up.
edit on 12-5-2011 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I really wish they allowed guns ect over in the UK then that would sort out the crime problem here

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Reply to post by shadowlight

It's amazing what people will let a guy with a knife do.

In the 90's some nut ran into a coffee shop near Yale and stabbed everybody inside. Nobody tried to stop him. They just put up their hands and played good victims.

I think one guy died and the nut was eventually shot by cops as he fled.

It's like certain parts of this country would just let you become king if you had a knife. Ridiculous.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DInglis

Indeed, its just as some of these Yanks say, there very hard to get ahold of, yet the real criminals still get ahold of them, so what are we to do !?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Awesome story.

Everyone should be trained and carry a weapon. Crime would be reduced to ZERO

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Awesome story.

Everyone should be trained and carry a weapon. Crime would be reduced to ZERO

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
No hijack intended OP but i'd like to offer a tip to any women reading this . Don't ever carry your gun in your purse . When the ambush or sudden attack comes you'll never get to it . Use a holster that you have a chance getting to . High ride , inside the waist band , whatever .

My sis-in-law took her one year old daughter to visit her mother and stay for dinner . Dark , cold , early winter , snow on the ground when she bundled the baby up , got her in the car seat and headed for home . She had a Smith & Wesson Air Weight .38 Special in her purse . She parked in her driveway , got out with her purse over her shoulder and went to the other side of the car to get the baby out . That's when the attack came , mostly from the side . Punches to the side of the head and then the face , then down and she started to take the kicks . No way to dig in the purse and she dropped it anyway . The guy opened the back door of the car and she took a horrendous beating as he ripped her pants off . She took an absolutely brutal raping with her daughter still in the front seat . The guy said something about killing the little girl as he somehow had fingers in sis-in-laws mouth . That's was the first oppetunity to fight and she bit down as hard as she could . He started punching her face again but she wouldn't let go as she was terrified for her little girl . The guy was screaming as he ripped his fingers out of her mouth and took off running . She got the little girl in the house and called the law and an ambulance . Both were there within minutes . I'm 58 years old now and i cried when i saw her in the hospital . I've never seen a girl hurt so bad . The law caught the guy within minutes . They followed the blood trail in the snow to the third house down . He was out on bail for a sexual assault charge . Sis-in-law and i have talked about it and had she been carrying the gun instead of toting it in a purse she could have got to it in spite of going down to first heavy punches and then kicks . Right to the time he slammed her on the back seat and ripped her pants of , she could have got to her gun . That was about 10 years ago . The guy who did it was sentenced to 5 years and did 2 . Had she not mustered the fight to bite when he threatened to kill the baby he may very well have killed sis , maybe both of them . These kind of attacks aren't announced and mostly come from short range and there is no way a women is going to get to her purse . Even if a woman is beaten down in a sudden attack , if she still has the gun with her , she's still in the fight . A gun where you can't get it is useless . Didn't mean to hijack OP but i love sis-in-law and her daughter . She carries a small Kel Tech 9 mil now in a Milt Sparks Summer Special inside the waist band holster and it almost doesn't matter how she dresses , it's concealed and you can't see it . It's strong side high ride and she can conceal it under a loose T-Shirt . She took a 3 day practical shooting course and although she doesn't practise all that often , it's gonna be bad news for anyone who ever tries that again . Broken nose , teeth broken out , broken bone under her eye , many stitches in her mouth and face along with physical injuries in personal places and that doesn't include the psychological damage . Ladies , carry your gun where you can get to it .

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

What a horrific story, I dont understand how ANYONE can do this to another human being, let alone a Woman with her young child ! I hope that ****** ****** takes a bullet straight in the frontal lobe for that disgusting unwarranted assault and rape and that sentence sounds outrageously short, even 5 years isnt enough, let alone getting 5 and serving 2 & he was wanted for another sexual assault......

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join