It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal Gun story you won't see on the news!!

page: 26
<< 23  24  25   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I will have you know that you are wrong, and you can look up self defense on google and see that it is one of the primary ways to AVOID trouble. Don't act like your opinion is fact, when it's just yours. While mine has many many many advocates and easily searchable truths.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Defense is good, assertiveness will get you killed. Never confront someone directly. If they are a criminal, they're going to kill you. Keep one eye on them, get on the bike, and leave. Very simple.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If you look like a victim and act like a victim, you are much much more likely to be assaulted.

It's simple statistics.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Avoiding conflict is not being a victim. The way you carry yourself says more than enough about who and what you are. When you start letting the potential of a loaded gun change the way you handle yourself, you're asking for trouble.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by thejlxc

Defense is good, assertiveness will get you killed. Never confront someone directly. If they are a criminal, they're going to kill you. Keep one eye on them, get on the bike, and leave. Very simple.

I completely disagree, and so do the police. Well, I will say that you shouldn't "confront" as in "escalate" the situation, but you definitely should be assertive, and confront them in a way that puts you back in control of the situation.

Assertiveness will stop most attacks. Convenience store clerks and bank tellers are taught to always make eye contact and speak. That simple action will thwart many attacks. I posted my original story in this thread, and I also posted another story later in the thread about a night in New Orleans where my assertiveness (without a gun) prevented me from getting robbed.

Keeping an eye on them and getting on the bike might have looked weak. Any sign of weakness invites an attack. Also, it's much more difficult to defend yourself when they are the aggressor. It is much easier to defend yourself if you are the bold one.

I've had people run away from me, just because I was eager to fight, LOL! For those of us that grew up in the country and redneck areas, where people fight for fun, we all know that most folks are just posturing, and 75% of the fights never happen. Guys just bully and yell and push and hope someone breaks it up before they have to fight. BUT, once in awhile you run across that guy that just LOVES to fight, LOL! If you can be that guy, then it is very intimidating, and most folks will just try to get away from you.

Besides, was there anything I did in the OP that was anything but friendly? I was very polite, but I was very assertive, and I was the aggressor (in a friendly way), so that even though I was outnumbered, I had the momentum and perceived power on my side. It is a great trick that many people use (including cops). Be polite, direct, and assertive, and be running all the possible scenarios through your head at the same time, so that you are prepared for every contingency and they are not.

Over the years, I have taken bats and knives away from people. I've seen a guy shoot himself (instead of me) when I approached him and put myself between him and the family of his ex-girlfriend, I've had a friend shot (because he was an idiot and pulled his gun with no intention of actually using it), and I've had people shoot at me when I was unarmed, but they missed because of the pressure of the situation and me not retreating! If I had turned to run, I might have been shot. Assertiveness has saved my life countless times.

Cops used to say to be compliant to avoid injury, but these days they have changed that stance. They say to give up any merchandise, cash, or material things, but do not give in to a violent attacker, resist, resist, resist! Attackers don't want it to be difficult, they want it easy.

Also, the Number One most important thing is to NEVER leave with an attacker. If they are robbing you, give up the stuff, but absolutely do not follow them anywhere or allow yourself to be pushed or pulled into a vehicle. Make them shoot you right there, in a familiar area, where you are likely to get help sooner rather than later. DO NOT let them drag you off to some remote area to do whatever, and then still shoot you with no chance of getting help.

I could go on and on with more detail about when to put an obstacle between you and a potential attacker (as my wife did), or when to remove an obstacle and make sure you are not creating an adversarial posture. I believe the most important thing is to know your own strengths and weaknesses, and always attempt to stack the situation in your favor. Also, try to do what they aren't expecting. Make sure you have an idea of what direction the situation is headed, but they are unsure. It is an artform, but if someone can be good at situation control it is even more useful than self-defense training.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The police are not a great example. They wear kevlar and get killed often. Me thinks their tactics might just suck. After all the rest of us deal with life everyday without being killed, and most of us have no kevlar or guns.

You live your life the way you see fit, but if those people had taken your challenge, you'd be dead right now. Assuming they were criminals at all. Silent but ready is always a better approach. A bluff (which is what you did), can blow up in your face.

Eventually the guy that loves to fight, meets a guy that loves to kill. Then he dies. Something to think about.
edit on 25-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Eventually the guy that loves to fight, meets a guy that loves to kill. Then he dies. Something to think about.

I entirely agree with that part, but there is no defense for that person. The cold-blooded predator will get you no matter what. Everything we do on a daily basis to stay safe is just to stay safe from the amateurs and opportunists. If that special type of person wants you dead, then just make sure you have said your prayers, told your family you loved them everyday, and lived without regrets. In that way, you can do everything in your power to survive and protect yourself, but if that fateful day comes, at least you're prepared to die.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

glad to see this Thread

is STILL rockin!!

great topic !!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

LOL We must be long lost brothers, I've been through most of that, and a few different ones. Being in control, calm, and close to someone is very very good for you in any situation in which you may need to defend yourself. I don't come off "assertive" as much as "friendly and unafraid", but I'm right there. It's literally saved my life, and the lives of people with me, on many occasions as we live in a difficult world with people too stupid to know better. I'm glad some people seem to avoid these situations altogether magically, but for the rest of us, with Actual real life experience on the matters, looking afraid is just about the worst thing you can do, sometimes even nervous looking is bad enough.

I'm not backing down, I'm walking right up to you, I mean you no harm but if you try to harm me, better not miss. To date I've removed one shotgun, one pistol, two knives, and a bat from people who assumed the jolly chubby guy was no threat at all. The ones who looked in my eyes, and saw the quiet resolve there, mostly went away peacefully.

There's a huge difference between talking to someone calmly and acting aggressive. I do not advocate running at someone screaming like Han Solo. I don't advocate using swear words in fact. Assertive/Calm is the way to go. He did what I've always done when coming up on something like that, "Hey, how ya doin." Just a nice quick pleasant hey. Because if they act like that is some kind of weird thing to do, that tells you a great deal about the people you are dealing with. Right off the bat.

Anyways, keep on being who you are, and I will me, and we'll maybe live longer for it.

top topics

<< 23  24  25   >>

join