It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A personal Gun story you won't see on the news!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by BioStatistic

f-ck, it sounds like they were ready to kidnap your wife, violate her, kill her and dump her somewhere, or mostly likely bury her, never to be seen again and end up a missing person statistic with no investigation.

you should have rid the world of those scum. this obviously wasn't the first time they have done this and they sound like opportunists or pre meditated serial rapist/murderers.

i know it might have been hard without endangering your wife, but you should have let it play out longer until they made a definite attempt on your wife, yelled at her to run and then start dropping bodies.

at the very lest you should have made them taste the fear of death, so next time they might think twice or God willing stop.

i feel bad, this is evil at it's worst form. the next girl might not be so lucky.

edit on 11-5-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Your poor choice of starting words is almost as bad as the logic in your message. Heaven (ETs) help us!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

It will not be on the news and did not involve the police so it did not happen as far as the world knows. That is how I think many gun situations play out every day.

Exactly!

How do you measure the effect the sound of a 12 gauge pumping one into the chamber has?

It is impossible to quantify the overall effect that gun ownership has. It is only easy to quantify the few mishaps.

+5 more 
posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I have thought about the "next girl" all week, and it does bother me a little.

Here's my take on the story. Probably wrong, and If I had been there who knows what I would think, but this take on the written story does have the merit of lessening the concern for the "next girl".

Sounds like it was going to be a mugging. Beat her down, load the bike into the truck, drive off, sell it. The Ma Barker model of a predatory group, one of men run by an older woman, is almost always about money not sex. And if the target is female it is only a coincidence of the targeted property.

The reason I'm confident saying this is the lowering of the tailgate.

If it was to be perverted, one of the men could have just ridden the bike after putting the unconscious body in the cab of the truck. As I don't think an unconscious body in the back of the truck would be very well hidden. And in this scenario there is no reason to lower the tailgate. On top of this the resale value on a good motorcycle is pretty high. The resale value on a kidnapped, beat up, older than puberty person, not so much.

Anyway. That's my take. I smell a mugging.

David Grouchy

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

First of all I gotta say you are nuts for riding without full leathers

About the story, glad it turned out OK, those people sounded suspicious as hell. Perhaps they were just strange people, but it could have been dangerous. It could have been they were malicious and suspected you might be armed, because you are allowed to be by law.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I like hearing stories just like this one. I also have a carry permit, and I hope that I never have to use it(weapon) but knowing that it is there if needed is very comforting.
Glad to hear you handled yourself and the situation very well. You are correct in that it could have gone much differently than it did. Btw what do you think the old lady was getting into the truck for? Weapon maybe?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I was once in a confrontation with a gunman who had set upon me and a friend for a street robbery. I too was armed, with a Beretta semi-auto handgun, but with his MAC-10 in my face, I hardly had the opportunity to draw my weapon. He knew that I was "street smart" and therefore did not carry money in my wallet, so right away he had me turn out my front pockets. As I did so, hesitating just a bit, I thought to myself, "Why oh why do you not have a pocket knife self?"

Even a small blade would have turned the tables. He was close enough to me, that in one swift motion I would have been able to strike a deadly and shocking blow. All I needed was a little pocket knife with a thumb-tab to save my life. The gun I had was entirely useless.

Luckily for me though, I know how to adapt. I saw the opportunity and utilized a fast moving bus passing by to neutralize the threat.
edit on 11-5-2011 by CobraCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

That makes sense. You might be correct. Stolen Harleys is a big business, so that could definitely be the case. I hope so. Of course, looking up the hill at my wife bending over putting stuff in the saddle bags, and two nasty men approaching brought up the worst of the worst in my imagination. I hope your take is correct, and it was just an opportunistic mugging thwarted.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Btw what do you think the old lady was getting into the truck for? Weapon maybe?

That was exactly my concern. She could have been going for a shotgun, or a pistol, or even a machete.

I didn't want to wait and see, so I decided to move toward them and if things were going to escalate, I wanted it to happen before she got whatever she was going for.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Anyone here ever actually had lead put at at them, other than than military combat?

I've been held up quite a few times, but lost a nip of ear one afternoon working at a gas station.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CobraCommander

Yep, that is why I brought up the knife in my front pocket. I love having the gun, but not all situations are conducive for using a gun. The knife is quicker, easier, and more effective if we are struggling with one another.

Good thinking on using the bus to neutralize. I think "street smarts," awareness of one's surroundings, and quick thinking are probably the most vital ingredients of any situation. In my opinion, the gun and/or knife just allow one the confidence to utilize those other skills.

As most gun advocates will say over and over, it is just another tool, and it is so much easier to get things done when you have the right tools!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Well done. I fear they were looking to abduct your wife. I hope you managed to see their license plate number and report them. It sounds to me like this trio is looking to make life a living hell for an innocent victem.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander
Anyone here ever actually had lead put at at them, other than than military combat?

I've been held up quite a few times, but lost a nip of ear one afternoon working at a gas station.

I had a kid with a gun run up behind me and fire at a crowd one night. If I had been his target, I would have been dead, but he fired right past me as he ran by.

When I was younger, we used to snoop around the old farm houses and supposedly haunted, abandoned homes. Once in awhile the farmers would fire a shot in the air, but we never took it too seriously. One night when I was about 16, this caretaker comes out and fires off a shot or two, we ran through the woods next door laughing, but then I started hearing the "hiss" and "sizzle" instead of the gunshots! I had heard before that you never hear the gunshot that kills you, and after that experience I think it is probably true!

That crazy old man was actually shooting AT US! I shed my light colored T-shirt, and bounded on all 4's through the woods, across a ditch, and back to my car. That was the last time we messed around that old abandoned home.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Starred and flagged getready.

Well played by you and your wife, and I'm glad it ended well.

That bunch was probably on their way to their meth lab in the woods and spotted a seemingly easy target; steal the bike, rape the woman and leave the body for the gators. Your sudden appearance and un-intimidated attitude forced them to re-think things, thinking probably not being their strong suit.

It's spooky how easy a nice day can drift in to the Twilight Zone in the span of a few seconds, and sometimes that "spidey sense" is the only warning you get before things go bad in a big way. I'm glad you listen to it.

I read somewhere that the people who survive most life threatening situations do so because they go with their first or "gut" instinct and don't second guess it or try to rationalize or minimize the perceived threat level; they do exactly the opposite of what so-called "experts" tell you to do, and they survive. The course of action that saves them is decided on in a few hundredths of a second, not after going down some crisis management checklist in your head.

Don't even think twice about not getting a tag number; you did the most important thing - you're handling of the situation got your wife and yourself safe. Damned glad you had your .380 along too.

Like someone else said, in a perfect world.. Well this world isn't perfect as we all know and all the "ifs" and "ands" might as well be chamberpots for all the good they do after the fact.

The main thing is you and your bride are safe. Maybe nothing would have happened, though I sure as hell doubt it. The best thing is neither you nor your ladylove had to find out the hard way.

Good show man

BTW: Nice to know I'm not the only one around here with some salt in the pepper hair too; us older guys are "well seasoned" like a good Chili.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What a story! Thankfully it turned out the way it did. Did you ever get the plate number of those scumbags? (sorry if that was already asked, I didn't read through all the replies).

I could totally relate to your wife's hair standing up...we have that sense when something is amiss. I have had the same things happen with guys who were up to no good, many years ago. Let's just say, they followed me home from a parking lot, late at night. I knew they had followed me out of the mall, and been behind me most of the way home. I was going to home to an empty house. I drove past my house and continued on to the police station. When I pulled over in front of it, I was able to get the plate number. The following day, I got a call from the detective I filed my report with, that there were 3 men in that van, who raped a woman that night. Talk about too close of a call.

Again, glad things turned out the way they did. WELL DONE!!!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

The following day, I got a call from the detective I filed my report with, that there were 3 men in that van, who raped a woman that night. Talk about too close of a call.

WOW! That is way too close of a call! Great job in saving yourself and getting the information to the police. Too bad for the other woman, but at least they got caught.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander

I was living near Ocean View avenue & Little Creek in Norfolk Virginia, kind of a rough area at the time, mid 80's. I wondered why the rent was so cheap for such a nice big house. I found out why one Sunday when I was under my mustang working on replacing the exhaust pipes. I saw four guys run by and then they started shooting at some other guys, with me under the car in the middle. We moved out two weeks later.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
f***... That story gave me the creeps just pondering how that'd play out and with all that stuff actually happening around the world.. God damn. Am very glad it turned out alright for y'all.. And hope karma comes to give them a kick in the ass so they don't get any ideas for another.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Youre a good guy Getready and sounds a lot like how my husband handled a creepy situation yrs ago Your wife is also one smart cookie.. sounds like you 2 make a GREAT team!

I live in a no carry state.. Im in Illinois now.. Im shocked we can still have long guns here. Its crazy. Anyway, we were transfered here and I do hate it. I can not stand having to raise my children here in such a place. HIGH crime and only the criminals are carrying.. and they know it. Im 5'4" and very petite... I have NO chance of defending myself against a thug with a gun here. I also cant bare the thought of putting my husband in a bad situation with the thugs here knowing we have no means of personal protection... so I no longer ask to do things we once enjoyed due to the criminal element in this area. No more evening strolls at the park. No more walking main street in the evening.. what we old folks call exercise.
The day time is ours, but the night time here is solely the world of the criminal and thug. Too bad for you even in our nice, closed, historic neighborhood within walking distance to the police dept and county court house... if you need milk or gas after dark.. no one here dares go to the convenience store. I noticed the neighborhood rolled up its sidewalks when the sun went down when we first moved here. Everyone had flood lights and motion sensor lights. Big dogs and signs concerning security systems. I thought it was a good thing really.. I didnt know any better as I had never lived in a war zone.. and I didnt consider that even if you live in a very nice, peaceful and desirable neighborhood, the warriors have vehicles and the war zone is brought to your neighborhood and home these days. It didnt take very long for me to learn why our neighborhood was so well lit and dogs barked all night though. We go to each other on the street if someone needs extra milk or something forgotten.... and a lady even came by to borrow a overnight diaper so she could wait until morning to go to walmart. We are truthfully hostage to the criminals here. I never dreamed that in this age a place could be like this.. well it is. To clarify, I was born and raised in the Quarter in New Orleans.. on Dauphine St. Just over from the famous and lawless Bourbon St. I have NEVER in my life experienced anything like I have here in nowhere small town Southern Illinois.

I truly believe in the saying " an armed society is a polite society"... because trust me, we are unable to be armed and there is no politeness here. My oldest daughter was assaulted and I was violently assaulted in a parking lot by a group of youths a little while back after moving here. I dared to go to a grocery store after dark. I truly believe that if it were a thought in their addled little brains that I may have been armed, theyd have never been so bold. I am obviously no match for several armed thugs being as small as I am and completely without defense toward multiple attackers. Id have a fighting chance with one of the handguns we own and if I were legally able to carry it.

If we can ever sell our house ( long story, plummeting property values and we own a historic home) I will move to a more polite society.. a more firearm friendly state. People seem angry and violent.. but they dont seem to know what they are angry and violent for.. they want to lash out at anyone they perceive has more than them... and they want to take it.. your possessions or your body. Sometimes your life. I have no idea why this is or why it seems to be so prevalent. Why so many in groups ( some quite large, a group of 200 descended on a nice older neighborhood East of us and went berzerk on the homeowners) are acting like angry savages with no regard for the law much less their fellow human beings. Is this just the Midwest? I have never lived here before.. and for all of the smack talked on the Deep South, we never held a candle to the insanity, crime, and lawlessness here in the wonderful Midwest.

Our concealed carry was just defeated... it will only become worse.
www.huffingtonpost.com...
After months of heated debate, the Illinois House voted against a concealed carry measure Thursday. The bill received 65 "yes" votes, but needed 71 to pass.
"We are at the criminal’s mercy," downstate Democrat and bill sponsor Brandon Phelps said on the House floor. Phelps managed to keep the bill alive through a parliamentary maneuver, though it is unclear when it will come up for a vote again. Earlier this week, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn vowed to veto the bill if it passed both chambers, but that didn't stop the House Agriculture and Conservation Committee from approving the gun legislation 12-1 on Tuesday. "The concept of concealed, loaded hand guns in the possession of private citizens does not enhance public safety, on the contrary it increases danger for everyday people as they go about their lives," Quinn said, Tuesday. "I don't think we're in the business of trying to increase danger to the people of Illinois. We want to work with our law enforcement and prevent bad things from happening. I think the passage of this law by the General Assembly would be most unwise and they should know where they governor stands and where the people stand." Quinn reportedly began calling House Democrats and urging them to vote against the bill. Most of the bill's opponents represent the Chicago area and collar counties.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm so sorry. Love the avatar though!

Is this just the Midwest? I have never lived here before.. and for all of the smack talked on the Deep South, we never held a candle to the insanity, crime, and lawlessness here in the wonderful Midwest.

I grew up in SW Missouri, right on the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma border, and only about 40 miles from the Arkansas border. It was not "lawless" there at all. People were polite and respectful......and armed.

But, I have to admit, when I go back and visit now, the Meth Labs have taken over. The amount of teeth people have in their heads has gone way down. My Mom and Dad live there, and my brother just recently moved back there and he hates it. It is not the place I grew up.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

And that is how you handle ones self responsibly.
Only Cowards hide behind guns. Like Kenny Rogers says, You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

Hats off and thanks for sharing the story.
edit on 11-5-2011 by mantic because: lyric error

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join