It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Pretends to be an Intruder at School,Uses Cap Gun,Scares Students....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

School Safety Drill Backfires When Deputy Uses Cap Gun...

...SOURCE

A school safety drill in Illinois went badly wrong when a police officer pretending to be an armed intruder asked for a student by name, freaking the child out. The student ran away and had to be tracked down by police and the school officials who had designed the drill.Now the school board is investigating how things could have gone so awry at Orangevllle High School Friday morning.

“Some things were not done according to our plan,” Superintendant Randy Otto told the Journal-Standard. “We found there were some areas to work on.

”Illinois state law requires schools to have annual drills dealing with potential shootings, bomb threats, suspicious people or hazardous materials. Otto said there are no plans to repeat the drill in the near future.

All I can think is "WOW"!...What would possess these people to even make them think that barging into a school and pretending to be an intruder with a gun wouldnt end up bad in some way? Especially since it doesnt say that the kids even knew that it was coming..So as far as the kids were concerned it was some crazy student hell bent on revenge...Some copycat Dumba$$...Then the cop"intruder"calls out an unexpecting kid by name while holding a gun...Even if it was only a cap gun,imagine how that girl must have felt when she thought that someone wanted to kill her...This whole drill was more than stupid,it was pathetic!..Its pathetic that the school board,the people who teach our children,couldnt have come up with a better way to go about it and even more sad that the cops went along with the "brilliant"idea...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

That cop is lucky none of those kids were packing a gun, or he would be toast right now.

If I was the parent of a child that went there, I would be raising hell. Lawsuit anyone?
edit on 11-5-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I just can't believe how stupid people have become.....How much more can happen?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
wow i want to throw up....... the backwards oxymoron logic behind this is disgusting.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
There are pure geniuses behind this and other events. Not long ago a teacher (or administrator? I don't recall...) decided it would be a good idea to have a history lesson which involved a mock auction of black students to teach about slavery...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If that were my child, all hell would be breaking loose. I'd have a principal's job, a cop's badge and several butts and heads on platters. I hope the child is able to let this go and move past it.

People are so freaking dumb. What part of this processed in someone's brain as a good idea? It just goes to show you how dumb the people running the show really are. Next time maybe they can set one of the kids on fire to teach them smoking is bad.

Geez....

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hold the phone. You mean terrorizing a bunch of children with firearms was a bad idea? How could anybody have foreseen that?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Oh great,another heart tugging thread.
Maybe the cop had good intentions and the kid was just too weak and cried and his parents will sue now.

Its good to toughen up the kids and make them aware of the real world.
Am I supposed to be offended by his actions??
Its a cap gun and nobody was hurt and it was served as a teaching experience in what the real world is like...yes danger is out there.
As weird as this may seem...kids these days need a kick in the ass to get them thinking...as well as the dumb parents with the dumb kids.
Crap happens...its too bad people start nuthugging and jumping on the emotional bandwagon.
I don't do politically correct crap...hence my opinion.

Maybe they don't want another Columbine and want the kids to be aware...god forbid right??

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Not worth it.

edit on 11-5-2011 by DrumsRfun because: not worth it

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Poor kid is going to have nightmares and a few rounds of therapy to get over this incredibly stupid incident.Fire the superintendent and the cop and any other idiot involved that thought this was a good idea.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I should sneak into their house in the middle of the night with a fake gun and teach them about home safety. Something tells me they wouldn't be too happy about it.

This is so damn stupid I don't really have anything else to say.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I think you know how you sound.

How about a little mock rape? You know, just to show them how the world works?

Or does your twisted idea of what is good only extent to mock slaughter?

Pathetic.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I hope no one ever does something that stupid where I am.

He won't be able to do it a second time.

Always packing.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I think you know how you sound.

How about a little mock rape? You know, just to show them how the world works?

Or does your twisted idea of what is good only extent to mock slaughter?

Pathetic.

I'm right there with you. I hadn't taken it to the next logical step, but you are exactly right. There are limitless other ways to teach children to handle situations, aside from directly traumatizing them. I feel so bad for that kid. You know he was terrified when he heard his name come from a man with a gun.

OMG it makes me so mad!!!
edit on 11-5-2011 by BioStatistic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What if there's a real incident next time and the kids think it's another drill?

They could try to disarm the guy, thinking it's just a game, and end up hurt or killed.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Meh....not worth it.

edit on 12-5-2011 by DrumsRfun because: just not worth my effort

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I live only a few miles from this school

a couple points

the WLS article was a bit sanitized

the pistol was a 22 caliber blank gun -- very loud and does not look like a toy as the op article would lead you to believe

It concerns me that no father had the cohones to slap the st out of the superintendant that dreamed up this nightmare -- just as a drill, you understand, to see how he would react

Also, is it not a felony in IL to threaten someone with murder using a pistol (yes it is) and it does not have to be a 'real' firearm. Some people need to be arrested and sent to the cross-bar hotel for this

new topics

top topics

join