It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is it determined who gets to put what satellites where in Earth orbit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
How is it determined who gets to put what satellites where in Earth orbit?

I've read that there are two types of orbit -- synchronous and geosyncrhonous. I've also read that there are thousands of satellites in Earth's orbit, from both governments and private companies; however, there is apparently some kind of law the UN passed that maintains that in a specific Earth orbit (why?) that there will only be 360 satellites (one for each degree); and that they were apportioned out to the world's countries by population. What's that all about?

Thanks for helping me learn about satellites, to those who reply!

[edit on 8/1/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
i think you meant for the types of orbits synchronus and geostationary... anything that's orbiting the earth can be seen as sychronus.

anyway, i really don't know much about how satellites are apportioned out, but you seem like you want to know more about satellites, so here's some info.

there are three basic types of orbits: low earth orbit, medium earth orbit, and geostationary orbit. there is also one orbit, sun sychronus.

low earth orbit is generally used by survailance and photographic satellites. the orbits are also 1200 miles or less up.

medium earth orbit is about 6000 miles up, and is mostly used for navigational and communications satellites.

geostationary orbit is used for TV and communications. the orbits take exactly one day to revolve around the earth, and are placed directly above the equator. because of this the satellites seem to stand still as seen from earth.

a sun sychronus orbit is an orbit when the satellite passes over the same spot on earth at the same time every day.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thanks! That does help explain a lot.
However, what's the deal then with the U.N. treaty that only allows 360 satellites in a particular Earth orbit? Does anyone have any information on that?

new topics

join