It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will the new fuel be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think we can all agree that petroleum is on its way to being obsolete. Sure it served its purpose and brought us a long way, but now it's time for something else.

What will it be?
Some form of magnetite used to power mechanical electric generators?
Will we have vehicles powered by plutonium?

Will we use engines that get steam from the sun?
Will we use that steam to make hydrogen?
What about lithium?

Will we find a more efficient way to ride the wind?
What about gravity? Or the light spectrum?
Which fuel will take us the furthest into the future?
Is it something that I’ve simply never heard of, or is it something I can’t even imagine?

Or will we stick to gasoline until we all burn out?

Any Ideas?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think it depends on what it is going to be used for.

Home/businesses. . . . . wind, solar, geo thermal, fusion reactors.

Cars. . . . . . . hopefully electric!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If only hate could be transformed into fuel, then we'd NEVER run out of it ...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
If only hate could be transformed into fuel, then we'd NEVER run out of it ...

Cars fueled by hate? Genius!!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm hearing of more and more people turning to hydrogen. Especially, locally there's quite a few people who drive cars with hydrogen engines as well as offer the engines to customers. Even my dad-in-law is about ready to built his test generator, later to build a hydrogen car engine. Just depends on if the big markets will catch on, or be "allowed" to turn to hydrogen over gas. More likely being people taking it upon themselves, to make one or have one made, etc.
I foun d an interesting how-to article here:
Car Plans

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by president

Some form of magnetite used to power mechanical electric generators?

That only works on YouTube videos.

Will we have vehicles powered by plutonium?

Ridiculous, plutonium is one of the most toxic substances known to man.
No civilian will ever be allowed to own devices containing plutonium

How would that work ?

Will we use that steam to make hydrogen?

Hydrogen is readily available, we have plenty.

What about lithium?

It's a light metal, has found it's way into fairly efficient batteries.
But lithium batteries are not going to solve human energy problems.

The next big fuel source, for the generation of electricity, will be Helium 3.
Once that technology is established ground vehicles will likely all be electric.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I also believe that is the answer also,
Electric production for recharging requires coal - defeats the purpose.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
No, we can't "all agree", as you put it.

There is no effective alternative to oil/coal/natural gas. No matter how hard liberals want there to be. Only nuclear can match the energy output of hydrocarbon, and liberals hate that too.

The only alternative to oil and gasoline (that works) is going back to an 1800's lifestyle.

Someday, something will replace gasoline as a fuel source for cars, and oil/coal for electricity. But not in the lifetime of anyone posting on this forum.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Thats a great question. What does it mean to go green? I have no clue. All I do know is that going green involves investing money in an undisclosed form of energy. So what is it? Does anyone know?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
As long as the oil empires rule, we won't be able to develop much else. After they're gone all kinds of new non-polluting energy technologies will be able to be developed. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loki41872
There is no effective alternative to oil/coal/natural gas. No matter how hard liberals want there to be. Only nuclear can match the energy output of hydrocarbon, and liberals hate that too.

The only alternative to oil and gasoline (that works) is going back to an 1800's lifestyle.

Someday, something will replace gasoline as a fuel source for cars, and oil/coal for electricity. But not in the lifetime of anyone posting on this forum.

Your last line is utterly pessimistic. I know for a fact an effective alternative to oil/coal/natural gas exists. And I plan on living a great many more years.

Think about it for a second. All these scientists and amateur garage chemists that post videos on youtube of their alternative energy engines are all looking for fame and wealth and attention. We see such videos and then never hear from them again. Why? Because their numbers just don't add up, and it's obvious they are looking to make a quick buck. Such a quick buck in fact, that if their "magical invention" has even a shred of merit, all it would take is some big-oil executive to offer them multiple millions in cold hard cash to make it all disappear and take the family on vacation for the rest of their lives. Claiming they've been rejected by government researchers or that they receive death threats is yet more attempts to get your attention.

The biggest ploy is claiming they will release it for free. The quickest way to get attention is to sound like you're completely nuts, and giving a game-changer away for free is beyond insane. I don't care one bit of their situation. You don't turn your pride and joy into a spectacle before anyone knows what it can do.

Mark my words. Such a technological breakthrough will be brought to the masses by a Tony Stark figure. Someone who cannot be bought because they already have more than enough money to do whatever they want in life. They will offer it cheaply for the purpose of stealing profit from their competitors (Oil and Gas companies), and won't dare just give it away and label themselves a crazy. Would you trust anything a crazy says? Not if you want to keep your own reputation. Such a project would be one's legacy left upon this planet, because they can't take a yacht or mansion or Bugatti with them to the grave. No one wants to tarnish their legacy by cutting and running, or lying to the public. The people that do that don't have much to leave to the world anyway.

I'm sure a majority of readers are going to focus on the second sentence of my reply. As much as this will ruffle feather's, I'm telling you not too. Focus on the rest of it. Look for those signs. Because that is how it's going to happen. I've been sitting on this technological knowledge for at least 8 years, and I'm only aware of a small piece of it anyway. And I'm not this Tony Stark figure either.

Take my word's for what they are: a message to look beyond the BS, deny ignorance, and hold onto hope.
edit on 11-5-2011 by danj3ris because: used the wrong "their", other mistakes.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by danj3ris
I've been sitting on this technological knowledge for at least 8 years.

Would you care to elaborate in regard to what "technological knowledge" you are referring to,
or is this another one of those "I know the secret but can't tell" standard internet BS stories ?

edit on 12-5-2011 by Version100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Wind, solar, hydra, ethanol and a variety of sources in development now.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
quote]

How would that work ?

The next big fuel source, for the generation of electricity, will be Helium 3.
Once that technology is established ground vehicles will likely all be electric.

Solar produced steam engines work the same way steam engines did in the 1800's, but instead of using coal or wood to make the steam, the water is boiled by pointing a magnifying glass at their boilers.
I don't know how practical that is. I have never seen it and I am not an engineer, but it sounds plausible. Doesn’t it?

Personally, I like magnetite. I don't believe for a second that some engineer can't make that stuff turn a wheel on a simple Tesla coil.

But, I don't think Earth has the capability or capacity to go with the magnetic engines. (even though these steel mills would greatly benefit from the move.)

I think we have to go regular solar first. If we don't start putting silica based solar panels on every piece of plywood we see, then we will never get anywhere.
Of course I don't know how long the silica really lasts in those panels but I do think they are stronger than we give them credit for and they have the potential to make a real dent in the power "grid." (sorry, I hate the "grid." I want to see every house in the world fully self sustaining.)

I think a good place to start is putting silica based panels on golf carts. There are a lot of golf communities in sunny states.

As for H3. That stuff only comes from the moon. (that I know of.) What is the point of going to the moon in order to get fuel just to get to the moon? Besides, how are you going to get to the moon in a blimp? Just kidding.

Actually, I agree with Loki. Gasoline simply burns too hot. It will be around forever in chainsaws and emergency engines. But it is old and dirty and people are tired of it. We have to do something about it.

edit on 12-5-2011 by president because: it don't look right.

edit on 12-5-2011 by president because: So

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by danj3ris

"A dream with no budget is just a dream."

But, the bigger the dream, the smaller the budget needs to be to change things.
The way you laid it out is pretty much exactly the way it feels like it will have to go, but if a clever enough person set up shop in a good enough location, the world might actually notice and follow his lead.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well, a few car companies, most notably Holden, have been tinkering with LPI (Liquid Propane Injection) systems for gasoline powered engines with quite stunning results.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well once quantum physics becomes more establish in the next few decades a ZPEM (Zero-Point Energy Modulator) can be created making all other forms of getting energy obsolete.

new topics

top topics

join