It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UFO Search/Mashup Tool - InfoChimps API

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hey Gang,

I just stumbled across a new UFO search tool from InfoChimps (datasets API) that accesses 60,000 UFO cases from the National UFO Reporting Center. I haven't had a chance to play with it just yet, but from what I understand its power is in searching out mashable data to find similarities in sitings, then allowing the user to create compelling visualizations to understand that data.

InfoChimps, those enterprising primates, have another incredibly interesting dataset to offer up to the world: 60,000+ UFO Sightings. And you thought that they didn’t exist! Now you’re going to have to apologize to the believers that you mocked because this dataset has come to set the record straight. Aliens exist and the evidence is the InfoChimps Datasets API, which makes searchable every documented sighting.

This data is accessible through a RESTful API and is returned in JSON. With this dataset you could create a visualization showing information such as: all sightings in a particular year, month of day. Maybe even an animation showing the sightings as days tick by. What patterns might emerge? Imagine the people that might come forward after seeing that others had seen these same UFOs that they had seen but not reported! A little exposure could make this data set explode with contributions. Sign up at InfoChimps and give the API a test run. Test your mashup skills and combine this with your favorite map data API.

Source is Programmable Web

And here's some info directly from the InfoChimps page

Data is from a comprehensive listing of over 60,000 unidentified-flying-object (UFO) sightings in the United States (and some elsewhere). Fields of particular interest are the shape, which describes the shape of the UFO encountered as well as the description which is free-form descriptive text about the even

Source to test out your searches is InfoChimps

And lastly, here's a link to a gentleman who is using the datasets API on his blog page; it's a thoughtful method to search the data though his background choice makes reading the results a bit difficult. (Sidenote: you can add this API directly to your websites/blog as well).

Link: ufolibs.heroku.com...

Enjoy ATS/ers, and let us know if you uncover anything cool using this data mashup search tool.
edit on 11-5-2011 by Jason88 because: formatting

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 11/5/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Reviewed moderator link with regard to use of ex /ex tags on external content. Thanks for cluing me in, it won't happen again in my posts.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
reply to post by Jason88

Reviewed moderator link with regard to use of ex /ex tags on external content. Thanks for cluing me in, it won't happen again in my posts.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

Cheers for the heads up on this new search tool, very impressive and i for one will be using this , great find, cheers;

join