It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyberwarfare rules included in Defense bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Cyberwarfare rules included in Defense bill

www.infowars.com

May 11, 2011

Within the chairman’s mark of the 2012 Defense Authorization bill is language that would allow DoD to carry out clandestine operations in cyberspace against targets located outside the United States and to defend against all attacks on DoD assets.

Released Monday, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon, (R-Calif.) helps to define the Rules of Engagement in cyberspace for the Defense Department, noting “because of the evolving nature of cyber warfare, there is a lack of historical precedent for what constitutes traditional militar
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 5/13/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well if you seen my other post about GOOGLE AND NSA partnership, it seems like our gov is hell bent on being able to do covert attacks in cyberspace. With Chinese hackers and USA hackers engaged in a one up competition the last few years, it seems like at any moment one of these hackers/covert ops could end up spiraling out of control. Everything is tied in together on the web. Maybe it's time we gave the internet the power of a sovereign nation. A nation with no laws, attacks, or evilness. Information shouldn't be attacked or held back, or even regulated.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You know the funny thing about laws and rules, is they are meant to be broken. States break laws, corporations break laws, individuals break laws, and they all do so routinely.

Laws and rules tend to really just influence those who have good and honest intentions to start out with.

They do little to nothing to deter those with bad intentions, poor ethics, or a desire to succeed at any or all costs.

Often the Government and the Corporate Powers that Be do make laws that permit or enable them to do what is prohibited and outlawed for the members of the general populace to do

Those are simply a clear indication of their intent and the fact that they wish to make legal for them what would be illegal for you and me.

In other words they would do it even if it were against the law.

It's why they seek exclusionary laws, more or less just to convince the law abiding that what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

"The more laws the less justice" - Marcus Tulius Cicero

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I didn't the the government followed laws, and rules all that well..lol

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

dude, you need to follow some rules on sleeping. But yea, that just seems shady. Think about it, if the pentagon can wage cyber war, they can literally do anything to our enemies and friends. Think how a foreign gov would feel if they thought we hacked them.

On that note, maybe publishing that was a bad idea, now everytime there is a hack around the world they will blame our covert ops. This could be a PR disaster. Or worse a reason to wage war.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hmmm, I am willing to bet they are just covering their asses so they can hack iran and melt down their reactors......

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This just legalises what they already do.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I read a few months ago we already did that to them. It was in MSM. Might of been israel. They said someone uploaded a virus and made their centrifuges spin insanely.

Kinda funny.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

That must've sucked, I've worked with some pretty big ones and they can blow up and kill people if someone prevents it from shutting down if it enters an unbalanced phase (depending on the size)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

I'd like to know about how this virus spreads. I always thought that if you had good enough computer design skills that you're almost unhackable for the most part.

EDIT: If they caused a meltdown with that ... O_o, then planet Earth loses again

edit on 5/13/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearMitochondria

Actually as a former hacker I can tell you the few methods for spreading a virus.

Obviously easiest way is if you have access to the target computer physically.

If you do not, you can run a port scan and see what type of operating system, and open ports he has. Sometimes the most random programs from games, to a spreadsheet program opens a port to communicate for updates, and random non sense making reasons.

If your port scans yields results and you can identify an open port with a program you can trick into allowing you to inject the target with your malicious code.

Sometimes you can also socially engineer people by calling them and pretending to be a boss, manager or IT department person. And just literally have them give you access

Another way is to fake being a girl online and just get target to open up a sexual type file that is really a trojan type of code.

Basically, no computer is safe. Hell even the pentagon gets raped by 15 year old russians all the time.

It's real simple, especially if you have botnets auto scanning domains

top topics

join