It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother watches kids eat!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
In Texas schools, a picture's worth 1,000 calories

Smile, Texas schoolchildren. You're on calorie camera.

That's the idea behind a $2 million project being unveiled Wednesday in the lunchroom of a San Antonio elementary school, where high-tech cameras installed in the cafeteria will begin photographing what foods children pile onto their trays — and later capture what they don't finish eating. Digital imaging analysis of the snapshots will then calculate how many calories each student scarfed down. Local health officials said the program, funded by a U.S. Department of Agriculture grant, is the first of its kind in a U.S. school, and will be so precise that the technology can identify a half-eaten pear left on a lunch tray.

This is ripe for abuse! And it gets worse!

Here's how it works: students are assigned lunch trays with a unique bar code. After the children load up their plates down the line — mashed potatoes or green beans? french fries or fruit? — a camera above the cashier takes a picture of each tray.

Nice, a bar code for your prisoner/child...

Am I over reacting, or is this officially Nazi America?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
America has become amerika.....

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hope they install one of those in the White House so we can all monitor what Michelle's scarfing down at tax payer's expense!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Wow, its like I said on a thread about cell phones yesterday, "Hello, dystopian society." It all sounds like they are trying to help us out. Helping our children have better meals at school. Keeping us safe by having terror alerts and presidential messages sent straight to our cell phones. Individually these things don't sound that bad but when you start to think about them as a whole, well, then it gets creepy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShakaDoodle
Hope they install one of those in the White House so we can all monitor what Michelle's scarfing down at tax payer's expense!

You know what you would see?

Obama warns White House party crowd: 'You do not want to be between Michelle and a tamale'

Link

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
My neice and nephew go to this paticular school... Wanna know something else? Its not being done in the high society school... This school is in the heart of a ghetto. Most of the children getget free /reduced lunch at that school.
Not sure it matters. But there it is.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
the telescreen
sees and hears all

no escaping the telescreen
no where to run

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Wow another terrible thing.

The path their leading us on does not look inviting.....
edit on 5/11/2011 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Do we really need cameras to learn that the school lunches are not providing optimum nutrition? Even as a elementary school age kid I could see that the school food was just plain terrible.

It doesn't matter how many calories are on their plates when you factor in the lack of vitamins and minerals. My school fed us sub par hot dogs, pizza, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and pieces of fried blobs with a slight fishy smell to them on fridays.

We always got plenty of bread, fried potatoes and pasteurized milk.. so again I wonder how will cameras help these kids get healthier meals?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
My neice and nephew go to this paticular school... Wanna know something else? Its not being done in the high society school... This school is in the heart of a ghetto. Most of the children get free /reduced lunch at that school.
Not sure it matters. But there it is.

Wow that could be a thread right there!
The article also says that this program is funded with grants. They make it seem like, "oh take this free money so you can put in these cameras", Free money has to come from some cash cow. SICK

edit on 11-5-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: edit

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

And its in an elementry school. So they are to young to know any better
I need to call my sister and ask if she was asked permission for her kids to be filmed or at least notified... Be right back, lol

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Because parents are just too stupid to teach and/or regulate their kids.

To private school my kids go.

Also, what is happening to you Texas???

edit on 11-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ok, this is what the parents are being fed.. No pun intended, hehe,
She said "oh they just take a pic of the plates, not the kids. And they just take a pic of a few kids in a ow"
Im sorry, but imho, they are not spending 2 million bucks just to take a few pics... A nice cafateria lady, equiped with a digital camera could do this. Waste of money that could have went to the children. Crazy, I know

Also, she signed the refusal paper, so I guess they were asked.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

If you wanted to take pics why not a $30 camera and a $500(or cheaper) computer that takes 720P+ video & stills? This is a total waste of money and I fear that it will be used as a snitch, big brother machine.

NO SOUP FOR EVERYONE!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by vernaquesta

Well, Jamie Oliver has a big problem with the horrible and deadly food these schools are dishing up to kids.....if it's anything like I saw on his seqment, I'd be taking my kids out of those schools if forced to eat that dog food.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

I like to say, that if someone, or some entity is that subconscious and has such low self esteem that they feel the need to watch me and keep tabs of what I'm doing, so be it. Be as ridiculous and you need to be "big brother", because I will not be worried of your antics, and will continue to speak my mind, and be my own person, because that why we are here.

I will not amend my pursuit of happiness for any jealous fool(s)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

but soon it will be,"your kids too fat, so we're gonna take them away."or no food for Johny. Then it gets worse and worse... They will invent new evil.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It's hideous. Even Orwell didn't see this one coming? Or did he?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
What is this going to change?

We all know that school food is ridiculously unhealthy. Even before Jamie Oliver started his campaign. School lunches go out to the lowest bidder and as a result kids usually end up eating processed and reconstituted garbage.

But what is photographing what kids eat and don't eat going to change? Are they actually going to keep tabs on what each individual student (in a school of likely hundreds), and then force each child to correct their diet? That would take untold man-hours, and the cost would be enormous.

Why can't the school just reinvest that money into providing healthier foods?

None of this adds up.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join