It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Gas Prices Ridiculous? Try living in Canada.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Gas is cheap all around the globe. We have built our society on a fuel price that is too low. The market only looks at the current supply and demand and not at the long term. This is a major problem because the long term price of gasoline could be above $100/gallon. If we had built society on that price level we would have been much better off than we are today.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zookey
American's just like to whine loud how hard done by they are.

They have no real clue how the rest of the world live.

They think they have a right to easy living, cheap oil, big wages blah blah.

They couldn't handle it in other parts of the world. they always run to get home because they would have to contribute and pay their taxes here.

edit on 11-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

It's ironic to listen to someone whine about whiners...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
They (TPTB) are just manipulating the fuel prices. I know that around the world prices are higher than here in the US. But if you look at WHY the prices are high here, you will see it is all manipulation.

When prices first went through the roof, it was said it was because of Hurricane Katrina. It wiped out refineries. So prices went up. Eventually markets crashed and prices dropped back to around $1.75ish. Then they shot up again over $4. It was said it was because of the problems in the middle east. Then they went back down again, but to the high $2's. Then AGAIN they went up because of Libya. Shot over $4, close to $5 a gallon. Now they have backed down to the high $3's.

This conditioning. People were furious when prices were close to $5 a gallon. Now that they are an average of $3.80 a gallon people are relieved. But we forget that before they were around $2.80. Errr... its very frustrating.

Look back at the history of oil prices vs gas prices. The prices right now are the same as they were 2 years ago (per barrel of oil) yet gas prices are almost $2 a gallon higher. Why? Speculation. Stupid ass Wall Street ruining peoples lives to make a fast buck.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
I live 20 minutes outside of the city and thank Jebus I'm moving there soon because these prices are becoming unmanageable for my budget. I just bought a bike as well.

I understand that the government requires money to function... but so do the citizens of the country. A more progressive tax scheme (in my opinion) should fluctuate with the market. Therefore, when fuel prices get too high, reduce the tax. It makes sense, because if people are spending too much on fuel, they don't have money to spend on other things that makes the economy work... let alone the necessities (food, shelter, energy). If they don't reduce fuel tax as a relief, and prices continue to surge, they'll be kicking themselves in the behind.

This system is all about scarsity, not abundance except for the top 10%. I'm surprised everyone hasn't noticed this yet.

The gas was 1 21 a liter at our pumps, and I spend about 45 a month on gas, but only drive locally, nearly everyday a bit. Trips are not very affordable.

edit on 29-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
that is insanely priced per gallon. im glad i dont live there

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Gas is under priced all over the world. The market doesn't take finity nor unique properties of oil into account in the market price. Only the short term supply and the short term demand is used to set the price.

The real price of gas should be about $1,000 - 10,000 per gallon in order to have a sustainable oil dependency. This is the price we need in order to avoid gas scarcity. All activites that can't manage such high price are unsustainable. Private cars are unsustainable since very few people could afford $1,000 - $10,000 per gallon, in the case of ambulanses it might be worth it, in farm vehicles it will be worth it, etc.

We have built a society and economy on a finite resource. Wasting oil in private cars is madness.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Highest & Cheapest Gas Prices by Country

Pump Pain Index

This Bloomberg index lists countries by gas price and by their citizens' pain at the pump.

Price.....Country.............Pain Rank
$9.69....Norway.......................#48
$9.37....Denmark....................#42
$9.35....Italy.............................#29
$9.35....Netherlands................#37
$9.23....Greece........................#23
$8.97....Sweden.......................#44
$8.89....Hong Kong..................#31
$8.85....Portugal......................#21
$8.84....United Kingdom..........#34
$8.82....Belgium......................#37
$8.72....France........................#35
$8.59....Finland........................#40
$8.56....Germany.....................#36
$8.34....Ireland.........................#39
$7.95....Switzerland.................#47
$7.93....Slovakia......................#19
$7.69....Hungary......................#11
$7.59....Czech Republic..........#22
$7.58....Japan..........................#41
$7.57....South Korea...............#26
$7.55....Spain..........................#32
$7.54....Slovenia......................#28
$7.45....Austria........................#43
$7.32....Malta...........................#25
$7.26....Latvia..........................#9
$7.24....Luxembourg...............#51
$7.24....Lithuania.....................#12
$7.05....Estonia.......................#20
$7.01....Poland........................#15
$6.97....Cyprus........................#33
$6.94....Bulgaria.......................#5
$6.75....Australia......................#49
$6.70....Singapore....................#45
$6.59....Romania.....................#7
$6.54....Chile............................#17
$6.41....Brazil...........................#13
$6.06....India............................#1
$5.75....Canada.......................#46
$5.72....South Africa................#8
$5.53....Seychelles..................#14
$5.44....Argentina.....................#16
$5.31....China...........................#4
$4.96....Thailand......................#6
$4.19....United States..............#50
$4.11....Indonesia....................#3
$3.71....Russia........................#29
$3.49....Malaysia......................#24
$3.20....Mexico.........................#27
$2.78....Iran..............................#18
$2.33....Nigeria.........................#2
$1.89....United Arab Emirates..#53
$1.73....Egypt...........................#10
$0.88....Kuwait.........................#54
$0.61....Saudi Arabia...............#52
$0.09....Venezuela...................#55

www.bloomberg.com...

Interesting,,assuming the story we hear all the time,,its a world price set by the global market conditions,,for instance,,,,
$5.75....Canada,,,i quote,,"Canada is the world's sixth-biggest oil producer and has a higher income per person than the U.S. These stats add up to cheap gas and little pain at the pump. Only Americans and Kuwaitis use more gas per capita than Canadians."
unquote,,,

"These stats add up to cheap gas and little pain at the pump"

what do u think,,little pain at the pump??

Anyone agree?

Me.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
well here in calgary they have gone down a bit, last time i filled up they where at 111.9 i think. lol my dad has just started riding his bicycle everywhere again.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Gas price here in Brasil is R$ 2.88/liter it means R$ 10.36/gallon which, since the dollar price here is 2.06(jun/22/2012), it means the gallon here is about $ 5.00

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I find this constant complaining about gasoline and diesel prices in Canada quite infuriating. The Americans pay so much less! blah blah blah.

News flash Canada... they don't. We pay the same prices in Canada as they do in the USA. But, what we DO pay a lot more for in Canada than they do in the USA is taxes on that fuel. We want to brag about how great our (spit) social programs are? then we better be ready willing and able to accept the high taxation that makes them possible.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

BobAthome
Highest & Cheapest Gas Prices by Country
Pump Pain Index
This Bloomberg index lists countries by gas price and by their citizens' pain at the pump.
$5.75....Canada.......................#46
$0.88....Kuwait.........................#54
$0.61....Saudi Arabia...............#52
$0.09....Venezuela...................#55

"Canada is the world's sixth-biggest oil producer"

I am a Canadian. Notice what the other major oil producing countries are paying per gallon for gas. About 1/10th that we pay. To me this equates to living in apple orchard country, and paying a premium for applesauce. It's bulls#it.
edit on 21-12-2013 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

zookey
American's just like to whine loud how hard done by they are.

They have no real clue how the rest of the world live.

They think they have a right to easy living, cheap oil, big wages blah blah.

They couldn't handle it in other parts of the world. they always run to get home because they would have to contribute and pay their taxes here.

of course if yanks were really worried by petrol prices they would not drive such large cars with large engines....

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join