It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's behind Obama's war on whistleblowers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

The WikiLeaks Grand Jury and the still escalating War on Whistleblowing

Salon.com

National security experts say they can't remember a time when the Justice Department has pursued so many criminal cases based on leaks of government secrets. Steve Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists has been following five separate prosecutions, part of what he calls a tremendous surge by the Obama administration.

We are seeing an unprecedented attack on whistle blowers in America. Give Glenn a read and tell us if this is change you can believe in.

Here's the summary if you don't want to read the full article.

This is the real purpose of the Government's devotion to the secrecy regime: it prevents any meaningful accountability on the part of those in power. Preventing the public from knowing what they're doing (and what their "private partners" are doing) ensures no backlash ensues and there is no accountability possible. That, manifestly, is the Obama administration's overarching goal in adopting the Bush/Cheney version of the "state secrets" privilege and thus shielding even presidential crimes from judicial review: by keeping everyone, including courts, in the dark about what they do, they shield themselves (the public/private consortium that runs the National Security and Surveillance States) from the rule of law. And by keeping the public in the dark about what they do, they maintain exclusive control over information and thus shield and enable their own propaganda. Whistleblowers in general -- and WikiLeaks and Assange in particular -- are one of the very, very few genuine threats to that scheme. And that -- and that alone -- is why they are being targeted with such fervor and force. And it's why those who believe in greater transparency and in subverting that secrecy regime should do everything possible to defend whistleblowers from this assault.

edit on 11-5-2011 by UcDat because: edit as requested

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
thay are just trying to scare us folks in the truth movement. but ther is nothing to fear but fear it self we just gota push through it all

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Any chance of real accountability during Obama’s presidency died on day one, when he said he wouldn’t look into possible abuses from the previous administration, particularly in relation to torture. “Let’s look forward,” he said.

I’m not really surprised he is going after whistleblowers because it’s obvious Obama has decided to appear strong on ‘defense’ and “national security” — increasing troops in Afghanistan, exponentially increasing the number of drone attacks, and so on — and if he didn’t have this posture, especially after the wikileaks incidents, the right would attack him on not doing everything to “protect national security.”

Obama, like any other President in recent memory, will stand on principle if it’s politically expedient.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

There is POTENTIAL here to discuss government secrecy WITHOUT politicizing it. Personally, I think the thread is stronger if you remove the jabs at President Obama and focus on government secrecy. After all, this is nothing new. Whistleblowers have been "hunted down" in the past. Only, now, it seems, more is being made of it, perhaps because of the internet and the almost immediate news cycle.

In the past, too, whistleblowers (or "would-be" ones) were simply killed. Think of Vince Foster, Ambassador Brown, Sonny Bono, Sec. of Defense Forrestal, JFK Himself (and his brother and their Hollywood lover, Ms. Monroe). And countless hundreds to thousands in between them. Most administrations since the late 1940s, since the coming of the CIA in 1947, have probably had whistleblowers eliminated. So, if you want to politicize this, Obama should be *praised* for doing it the legal way instead of offing people. That isn't his style (unless you are a terrorist like Osama bin Laden). But, that's different, apples and oranges. But, who knows, perhaps Osama was going to blow the whistle on something...? Either way, the whistleblowers should count themselves lucky that the US is cracking down on them legally instead of having a clandestine assassin take them out.

Also, in other countries, do you know what happens to whistleblowers? In many of them, they simply kill you, --beheading, firing squad, or simple hacking by machete.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

done deal ill edit the OP

just kinda hard not to mention Obama since its about him but illl try and thx for the feed back

edit done the title is from the article so I'll let it stand

Also you said "Also, in other countries, do you know what happens to whistleblowers? In many of them, they simply kill you, --beheading, firing squad, or simple hacking by machete. "

Sure those things do happen but how does that justify what he's doing in America I mean should we start killing dissidents openly as well because other do it? Or like you said be happy they are just taking away our rights and silencing the truth because they haven't openly resorted to these measure?

edit on 11-5-2011 by UcDat because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2011 by UcDat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by aptness
Any chance of real accountability during Obama’s presidency died on day one, when he said he wouldn’t look into possible abuses from the previous administration, particularly in relation to torture. “Let’s look forward,” he said.

I’m not really surprised he is going after whistleblowers because it’s obvious Obama has decided to appear strong on ‘defense’ and “national security” — increasing troops in Afghanistan, exponentially increasing the number of drone attacks, and so on — and if he didn’t have this posture, especially after the wikileaks incidents, the right would attack him on not doing everything to “protect national security.”

Obama, like any other President in recent memory, will stand on principle if it’s politically expedient.

Ya the mans one dirty sob who saw it coming eh.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Whats behind him? The International Bankers, Nat Rothschild in particular, and the House of Windsor. In short, he's not a free man. He follows orders. With German buyout of the New York Stock exchange a company that is Nat Rothchild's, deeply connected, Nat is more the president of the US than Obama.

www.oregonlive.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

destination-yisrael.biblesearchers.com... /

edit on 14-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Whats behind him? The International Bankers, Nat Rothschild in particular, and the House of Windsor. In short, he's not a free man. He follows orders. With German buyout of the New York Stock exchange a company that is Nat Rothchild's, deeply connected, Nat is more the president of the US than Obama.

www.oregonlive.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

destination-yisrael.biblesearchers.com... /

edit on 14-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Ya that was pretty clear to me after he packed in all those goldman sachs types crazy how much of a sell out the man is. Really do think hes a cia macherian candidate sort of thing... the Obamabot if you will more of a brand than a man.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
i personally would like to see assange and manning do life in leavenworth

simple fact without national security there is no nation.

as to obama theres clearly a motive behind this and everything he does.

the funny part to this is those two and others were and still some what heralded as heroes.

but not so fast their usefulness has come to an end.

it was all politics before and its all politics now the fact that they are going after them now is an indication that there is something massive they are hiding.

hence the war on them and others like them.

sorry they opened this door and now they have to live with the consequences.

edit on 14-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aptness

I know, everything he said that actually would have put food on the table and jobs to go to, he hasn't done... but everything military and financially satisfactory to the rich he has. 2012 is going to be a depressing election I'm sure both candidates will be equally terrible.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i personally would like to see assange and manning do life in leavenworth

simple fact without national security there is no nation.

as to obama theres clearly a motive behind this and everything he does.

the funny part to this is those two and others were and still some what heralded as heroes.

but not so fast their usefulness has come to an end.

it was all politics before and its all politics now the fact that they are going after them now is an indication that there is something massive they are hiding.

hence the war on them and others like them.

sorry they opened this door and now they have to live with the consequences.

edit on 14-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Wow so you ok with the TSA and all that too?
Cause it makes you safe?

you dont how but you know its gotta be so?

Sorry not quite computing is that really what your saying?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
"What's behind Obama's war on whistleblowers?"

His arse.

Next question.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

no man i am not ok with the gestapo clowns aka the tsa or the patriot act or any other fascist tool that is currently being used.

everything has been ramped up and will continue to be ramped up.

now i am a bit confused what does that have to do with the doj going after whislte blowers?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by UcDat

no man i am not ok with the gestapo clowns aka the tsa or the patriot act or any other fascist tool that is currently being used.

everything has been ramped up and will continue to be ramped up.

now i am a bit confused what does that have to do with the doj going after whislte blowers?

well you said you wanted manning and assage in jail and that it was about national security and said you didnt know why so I just assumed you were all in on the getapo thing...
my bad
I dont think this war on whistleblowers anything more than them covering their own crooked asses and national security is worthless when your governments a fascist regime...
just my two bits

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

ucdat we agree on somethings as we are going to disagree on some things.

i want those two in prision and i want others to be in prison.

national security and the lack of it is why russia got the bomb and why china got the bomb.

the world has become a more dangerous place because people cant seem to keep their mouths shut.

this is my general rule of principle.

when people do not like what their or our government is doing there are mechanisms in place to deal with those issues.

but when people take it upon themselves like those and others have done it creates more problems

as the evidence in the article has shown the doj is going full bore on things that should have never occurred that door has been open a long time and it is going to take a long time to close.

we do agree there i do think obama is covering up i do think the timing of assange and manning and the death of bin laden are all interconnected and those are the only things we know.............imagine what we dont .

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Yet again some idiot is using yet another lame excuse to try and blame Obama for everything and anything wrong with this nation and humanity. My, my, how far from the tree have we fallen?

This is not a push by either The White House, Office Of POTUS, The US Federal Government but a push by TPTB to entre the US into a DICTATORIAL NATION DEVOID OF ALL RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS THAT THEY'VE BEEN TRYING TO PUSH THROUGH SINCE BEFORE WWII! The reason for it is simple and is to prevent the people from speaking out against the actions of TPTB.

Hook, line, sinker, SUNK!

I swear, eventually people are going to try and blame the Roswell NM incident of 1947, MLK, Jr. Assassination, The JFK assassination, failures at Waco 1993, 1993 World Trade Center bombing and 9/11 on Obama because this Birther group, (who is racist in origin) lacks a thinking brain, common sense and intelligence.

Search up something called "Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989" and " which to this day is still law so to try and say that this was taken out is a blatant and obvious case of misinformaiton.

en.wikipedia.org... - The 1989 law

Federal Whisteblower Protection Act of 2005 (Unlikable because everytime I attempted to the link was broken when it was posted! Thomas Library Of Congress Website is where it is at. 109th Congress (2005-2006) H.R.1985.IH)

edit on 14-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Indeed Im feel its all pretty much connected as well and if we agreed on everything we'd be clones

I dont know if this is in the same league as the bomb or that having the that tech in many hands rather than just the USA's is a bad thing. If anything I'd say the empire would be far worst if they had that kind of edge...

as always thx for the reply much apreciate your view.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
Yet again some idiot is using yet another lame excuse to try and blame Obama for everything and anything wrong with this nation and humanity. My, my, how far from the tree have we fallen?

This is not a push by either The White House, Office Of POTUS, The US Federal Government but a push by TPTB to entre the US into a DICTATORIAL NATION DEVOID OF ALL RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS THAT THEY'VE BEEN TRYING TO PUSH THROUGH SINCE BEFORE WWII! The reason for it is simple and is to prevent the people from speaking out against the actions of TPTB.

Ya not like nObama is doing anything but helping them along IMO but hey watch him veto the UN when its time to vote on a Palestinian state. Maybe ask his goldman sachs buddies or listen to the lies the white house is spitting out at record levels. Poor poor obama lol TSA'ing patriot act warmongering puppet for TPTB is what he is.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by UcDat

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1

Ya not like nObama is doing anything but helping them along IMO but hey watch him veto the UN when its time to vote on a Palestinian state. Maybe ask his goldman sachs buddies or listen to the lies the white house is spitting out at record levels. Poor poor obama lol TSA'ing patriot act warmongering puppet for TPTB is what he is.

HHate to burts your bubble but since the Palestinian statehood request is going before the UN General Assembly means that there is no veto's and is expected to pass. So sorry! A veto can only occur in the Security Council for which this is not a matter of the Security Council.

Palestine will be fully admitted into membership, be declared and officially recognized nation and will have it's UN Ambassador seated by the end of this year. It is happening and do not care who likes it or not as this matter is not about popularity.

Since you and the entire GOP kept silent on PATRIOT automatically disqualifies you from having an opinion on this now.

Keep on topic please and do not divert.
edit on 23-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
America is not better than any other communist and dictatorship countries, we just call it Democracy and let people think that they vote while waving their littler American flags from the nation of freedom.

Meanwhile our presidents and political figures are nothing but whores for big interest in the nation while they seat on the heats of every tax payer.

top topics

join