It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want my sky car!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Personally, I think that the PRICE will keep us from seeing very many of these in the sky anyway.

The price may eventually fall into the $100,000 range some day.

Depending on demand... If they ever mass produce it like they do cars
the price would be way down.

the price of a prototype car is more than the price of the end product. one can only hope and see

TextHenry Ford, Chairman, Ford Motor Company-1940"Mark my word: A combination airplane and motorcar is coming.You may smile.But it will come…"

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Just what is it that you are going to hit up there?

You might want to reconsider, weather and terrain would be a good start.

Most aircraft have low speed, high lift devices such as flaps and slats, which increase lift from the wing at the cost of more power

Most single/ two-seater aircraft civilian don't, they would be the equivalent to the Skycar.

Care to provide a few examples of common GA types that don't use lift augmenting devices?

Its pretty clear from your respective posts that Antebellum has quite a bit more experience on the subject than yourself, rather than trying to argue a point you don't know much about why not try and learn something from someone who does?

For my two cents, a flying car for the masses not subject to FAA (or the equivalent organization in your country) regulation would be an absolute disaster.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The biggest hold-up to the introduction of this technology is the required Infrastructure.

You can't have people flying around willy-nilly (been wanting to use that term for ages) with no rules, no designated flight paths, no refueling stations, no monitoring systems, and very little in the way of safety devices, etc.

The cost of adequate infrastructure will be prohibitive to say the least.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Thunderbirds are GO!

Honestly, Moller's run out of money the last I heard & no-one wants to legislate to allow the general public to fly one of these without a pilots license.

Even good pilots would have troubles flying these as they are all inherently unstable from a design stand-point.

I would also suspect that the fans that drive these are also insufficient to keep them aloft for long if they were carrying a pilot/driver, let alone the four people they are supposed to carry.

Moller has been prosecuted for intentionally misleading investors.

The only flight of one of his sky cars was back in 2003 and it was tethered to a crane.

Caveat emptor.

edit on 11/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

cruising speed of 300km/h and top speed of 500 km/h. it runs on bio-ethanol 11,7 litres for 100 km

These are the reasons why, and also

edit on 2011/11/5 by misterbananas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
All of my life I've dreamed of these things. But it is not to be. Not because the technology isn't there and industry could not produce, but because of the devil is in the details as they say.

Consider the cost of such a vehicle. A Lambriginna would be cheaper.
Consider the licensing requirements for the vehicle and the owner.
Could you pass a flight physical? Want one every year?
Ducted fans landing and taking off all over your neighborhood?

Basically, with unlimited movement--even if on a horizontal range--there would be mayhem in the Kroger parking lot and getting into your companies' parking slots.

It ain't gonna happen folks. There have been many attempts to draw investors into these fantastic programs put up by both con-men and honest but deluded individuals. None have worked, most never got literally off the ground with a prototype.

Come up with a a foolproof device such as a anti-gravi or massless unit that is controlled in all aspects by a smart computer interlaced within a worldwide system of "traffic" control, and you may have your dream...in another hundred years.

...And just for the rich is not going to be the way either.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
wonder how many towers ppl could ram with these...

Although... the towers wouldnt fall.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
you get in a fender bender on routine stop sign, you get out of your car, swear and exchange insurance papers.

if you get in a fender bender in one of these or run out of gas, you plummet 15,000 feet to your death and they have to scrap of what's left of you from the smoldering wreckage after it's cooled down.

i'll stick to $4 a gallon gas and a ground based vehicle.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Just a small comment...

You know these things can have a parachute right? You know small planes have parachutes... yes... for the WHOLE plane... plane fails, WOOMP parachute opens, you crash nose down with your airplane as smooth as a skydiver.

I'm amazed at the fact that noone actually contemplated the possibility of these things, specially due to their size, to have a fail-safe parachute...

But maybe I'm crazy... hey, parachutes in flying things... pffft! Crazy!
edit on 11-5-2011 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I think this would apply.
2nd

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

whoa...I like this quote

...Comfirmed in 2011 to come out in 2012...

Just confirmed in 2011 and be out by 2012, just before SHTF Aye???...

And not many are aware of this anyway, besides if you do get one, how long will it take for you to fly one.
I bet Obama knows how to drive one of these babes../sarcasm

I guess this weren't meant for us average folks...oh well. Such a short notice...*sighs*

Peace

edit on 11-5-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Flying cars would be bad ass but I set my standards higher.

I want my own antigravity bubble. Fly around Matrix style.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yes I want my beamship too, it doesnt look like that however, not quite. Bigger, roomier, capable of deep space voyage and opening a portal anywhere I choose the frequency for. But it would still take me from point A to point B in a pinch here too.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
The biggest hold-up to the introduction of this technology is the required Infrastructure.

You can't have people flying around willy-nilly (been wanting to use that term for ages) with no rules, no designated flight paths, no refueling stations, no monitoring systems, and very little in the way of safety devices, etc.

The cost of adequate infrastructure will be prohibitive to say the least.

Grown from the seed like the mercedes, on the vine, well they do keep growing in space. But with AI potential they would avoid all other objects.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think flying cars are in our future and yes its a scary thought most cant even drive a car safely but i think in 20 years we will take to the skys and it will be a common site...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
ive heard these have been out for yrs but you have to be very wealthy just to buy it, then get a license for it (not a pilot license), then find a place that allows you to fly them =/

i would love to take this to school everyday

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
They look like something from the Jetsons.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I don't know about you but I don't want one of these in my bedroom in the middle of the night. Also all police cars will have to be changed to accommodate this along with licensing and traffic laws - mass production of this is not going to happen overnight or even in the next 20 years!

LMAO! I wonder how the cops would pull people over? A pursuit could be quite interesting.....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Good thinking Unity.

I thought the grown Mercedes was a brilliant concept, especially in that it can be charged as you go from trees along the roadside.

And yes, an automated system with human oversight would be the preferable approach to flight paths, landing/docking and general control of the individual machines.... can we say Skynet?

edit on 12-5-2011 by Tayesin because: high dyslexia day

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Drunk driving is fun...
Drunk flying is better.

The above post is completely sarcastic.
This thing is awesome though

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join