It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want my sky car!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Spoken by someone who probably does not know how to fly a plane.

There are a lot more things to look for in the sky when flying.
And if you do hit something you will not be changing a flat tire!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The flying car is not needed, we have airplanes. So you want to park in a space for cars? Find a place to land first.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

It's all good, i will not lend you my sky car

you can keep your horse carriage

time will tell

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The first thing I thought when I saw the title...

"What would you do FOR a flying car?"

youtu.be...

The scene is worth it.

Should we have them....??
We will have them when we are responsible "adults" with adult capabilities. In todays world....well...it speaks for its self...

Having embedding problems...please check out the link.

ETA: These cars will come in pretty handy after the world is through re-arranging her self. There will be too many water hazards after the US becomes a bunch of Islands and there is no cross country ribbon of highways.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Time has already told.

There have been 1-2 person helicopters and micro-jets and airplanes around for 30-40 years.
Just go watch any old James Bond movie to see them and yes, they are real and have been for sale for ages.
Other types of planes that run on 'foot' power have also been around for a long time.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Are you a pilot? If so, what types of aircraft are you qualified to fly?

Just what is it that you are going to hit up there?

Please help my poor intellect to understand by composing a list of "things to look for in the sky" when flying.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think the FAA has rules regarding flying around where people are, They don't want you to crash into them, so you cannot land near them. You could get a flying car, but it would be illegal to use it however you want.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by AnteBellum

Spot on! People just think things through sometimes. (We're all guilty of that though, from time to time)
There are far fewer things to hit up in air, just 100 feet above the ground. Birds, bats and other planes mostly.

Try driving a car in a straight line for 20 miles, starting out from your driveway, no turns allowed.... I'm thinkin' you're going to hit something. Thinking things through more.

There are more things to go wrong in an aircraft - if your engine stops in your car, you roll the car to the shoulder and stop, but if it stops when you are 20,000ft up, you have to find a suitable airfield, pray that you have enough ability to make it, pray that nothing else goes wrong.

You also neglect to mention two big things that affect aircraft much greater than cars - weather and stupidity. Get a rainstorm in a car, and if its worse enough you just pull over, but normally you can carry on - but in an aircraft, its easy for a rainstorm to obliterate your horizon, which puts you on Instrument Flight Rules. There is a reason that IFR comes with its own certification requirements for pilots, its easy to get disorientated under IFR and lose the aircraft even when all systems are working fine.

At night, the same thing occurs - IFR only, no headlights to light the road in front of you, disorientation is easily done and again you lose the plane.

Descent rates, air temperatures, winds that change direction very suddenly (a 40mph wind from one direction completely flipping itself as you pass through a 200ft window and all of a sudden you have to cope with a tail wind rather than a head wind, and you have just lost essentially an extra 80mph of assisted lift). There are plenty of very very serious hazards an aircraft pilot has to cope with that a car driver doesn't even think about.
Yes, of course aircraft are troubled by that pesky 'falling out of the sky' problem. Are you seriously comparing aircraft and automobile engines and maintenance?

I was addressing the point that there are far fewer things to hit in an aircraft than in a car. If anyone wants to argue that point, they really need to look upwards first.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d02c9fbbe13.jpg[/atsimg]

I fly my dad's P.S. V all the time, though never alone!

If I can dig up the photo's, I will post pictures of NYC before 911 as we flew over the twin towers and bridges.
edit on 5/11/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

I have never seen that. Reminds me of me and my buds...FLIPPIN HILARIOUS!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

reply to post by mkkkay

Time has already told.

There have been 1-2 person helicopters and micro-jets and airplanes around for 30-40 years.
Just go watch any old James Bond movie to see them and yes, they are real and have been for sale for ages.
Other types of planes that run on 'foot' power have also been around for a long time.

And here i toth that one day man could even go in to space...
i guess when they invented the car, they closed the book and said thats the best we will ever do.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Your missing the point!
This will happen someday but not for a very long time until collision detection and 'foolproof' stabilization has been perfected. We can't even gets cars to do this right as of now.

This will remain a hobby for as long as it takes to solve the 'human' factor.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

What is there to hit in the sky? I think you're avatar says it all

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

What you all fail to realize is there is more things to hit from the air then on the ground. In the air the entire earth (ground) is your target as well as other commercial/military planes in the sky. Things that go up, must come down, where all the little people live and play.

So please let me know when you buy one of these, so I can leave the general area you intend to fly in.
Lack of personal responsibility for others below you and in the sky should be deterrent enough for anyone reading this to ever allowing this to happen in the near future.

You have done a service to the community.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Please help my poor intellect to understand by composing a list of "things to look for in the sky" when flying.

That you are so obsessed with "what is there to hit?" as your argument certainly indicates that you should never, ever be put in charge of an aircraft.

The world of flying is so much more than avoiding physical obstacles.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

flew over the twin towers

Try that in a car!

BTW, what's the stall speed on that critter?

I would post a pic of my Dads aircraft, but it is currently classified.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

At what altitude/speed?

I am done with this. . .

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice

That you are so obsessed with "what is there to hit?" as your argument certainly indicates that you should never, ever be put in charge of an aircraft. The world of flying is so much more than avoiding physical obstacles.

I never said that 'flying is the art of not hitting anything.
Never claimed to be a pilot.

I also did not manipulate a quote to make it seem like someone wrote something that they didn't....like you just did with me!
edit on 11-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

reply to post by mkkkay

What you all fail to realize is there is more things to hit from the air then on the ground. In the air the entire earth (ground) is your target as well as other commercial/military planes in the sky. Things that go up, must come down, where all the little people live and play.

So please let me know when you buy one of these, so I can leave the general area you intend to fly in.
Lack of personal responsibility for others below you and in the sky should be deterrent enough for anyone reading this to ever allowing this to happen in the near future.

You have done a service to the community.

If in my life time it happens i will let you know if.. you let me know when you fly over us good people.
If it's bad for us should also be bad for you, yet you seem to not care so much.
that is if you are piloting of course, but not alone...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

At what altitude/speed?

I am done with this. . .
Sea level, silly.

Oh, but you are done with this.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join