It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it skin cancer? 38 photos that could save your Life!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer, with more than 3.5 million cases affecting more than two million people each year, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation. Early detection and treatment are key, which is why it's vital to pay attention to moles and other marks on your skin (and to see a dermatologist once a year for a skin exam).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3cec35c8160.jpg[/atsimg]

There are three main kinds of skin cancer: Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma, the most lethal form (shown at left). In addition, there are "precancers" called actinic keratoses, along with iffy moles (dysplastic nevi) that could be worrisome. Keep clicking as Dr. Michele Green, a skin cancer expert in New York City, walks us through photos showing the things you should be looking for. The images are graphic, but looking at them just might save your life, or that of someone you love.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d15db7578e37.jpg[/atsimg]

Here's a hand with several actinic keratoses - all those red, scaly patches. These back-of-the-hand lesions are common in older golfers and others who spend a lot of time outdoors. Without treatment, actinic keratoses can turn into a form of cancer known as squamous cell carcinoma.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1926a2a3b5c7.jpg[/atsimg]

This could be an actinic keratosis or squamous cell carcinoma. In general, the prognosis is good for people with squamous cell carcinoma. But a squamous cell carcinoma that develops on the lips or another mucous membrane is more likely to spread (metastasize) - and in rare instances metastatic squamous cell carcinoma proves deadly.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f83716a58840.jpg[/atsimg]

Asymmetry is another worrisome sign - that is, when one half of the lesion doesn't look like the other. This happens to be a dysplastic nevus, but asymmetry is also a hallmark of melanoma.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11130a5ec8c0.jpg[/atsimg]

A melanoma this thick is almost certain to prove lethal.

Source: www.cbsnews.com...

You know, I come to ATS to learn about all kinds of things... even Cancer.

man, after this article, I think I have spots in a couple places..... lol I didn't know there were so many things and/or different types of indicators.

I think everyone should be made to study this stuff in Health Classes in High School and College. Teach them young maybe the best defense.

I have lost two friends and 1 family member to Cancer. A tough was to go-especially if you could have done something about it IF you only knew what to look for.

In all seriousness though. Take a look at all the pictures at the article site and then at check over your body. especially the people who work outside a lot.

If you find anything..... get it checked out ASAP.

edit on 5/11/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks for posting this very important information. By the way, it's hard for some people to get checked out sense not all jobs have Health Coverage in this country.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
*shivers*

Those pictures are pretty creepy. I'm sure it's mostly because they were so close up.

I guess I'm lucky that I rarely go in the sun. I can't really tan, since I usually end up getting freckles. And some of my tattoos would look weird if I tanned... like the winter scene on my arm... my bare skin is the snow, so if I tanned... then the snow would be tan-colored!

But regardless... it's always a good thing to check for weird growths, whether they be on the skin or beneath the skin. It's nuts how many cancers there are now.

Here's an interesting question: Are there more instances of cancer in modernity because we are exposed to more toxic things? Or are there the same amount of instances of cancer and we just know more about it now?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
While,

it is good information.
thanks for posting.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Hahaha, I love how I didn't even need to play the clip.

All I heard in my head was, "Thaaaaat's naaaaasty..." ("It's got all my stink of the day in it")
edit on 11-5-2011 by xFloggingMaryx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Hmmm, I guess if you can't do anything without health care then those type may as well sit around and die. Is that it?

Man, I hope you are one of those types that sits there and awaits the next handout from the gov't. Or wait with abaited breath on word from the Gov't what to do next?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Why are you attacking me. I'm not saying that government is the answer for this. I'm just saying there are many people out there that won't have the option to deal with this and they will just die. In no way did i ever say.. Ohh we should have government healthcare to fix this issue. You where jumping to conclusions a little to fast. I have had VA health care before, i know exactly how bad the government can do things.
edit on 11-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Not attacking you buddy. Just confused by what you wrote... my bad-not yours.

I get a little touchy... when well...

I am glad you came back and clarified your angle.

I am even more happy that I was able to say sorry.

peace (been a rough day)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Seems like you did have a bad day, I hope things start working out for you. Thanks for the apology, you are stared my friend.. Keep up the good work.

join