It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Content Forum(s)?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by ignorant_ape

If there were to be specific political forums for countries other than the US, then it should be tied to user demographics as per Quantcast.

That would be the UK first and then Canada

edit on 11/5/11 by masqua because: bb code fix

A UK Forum would also be beneficial here. IF it was only demographics but as I mentioned that is not the only reason for my suggestion.

It just seems that a site that is asking the World to think Global shouldn't just concentrate on local. IMO

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by jude11

I don't believe the population and economy should be the reason here. The reason for my suggestion is quite simple. We are so much the same, yet still so different and we are being forced to look at North America as a Union that is happening whether we like it or not.

Also,

1. Without knowing for sure, I will guess that Canadians make up significant number of ATS members. Correct me if I'm wrong on this one MODS.

2. We have issues that we both share such as the NAU, Border Militarization, Shared Water, Fishing, Forests, Farming, Minerals, Pharma etc.

3. Our Govts. are closely tied, our Police Forces, Military, Coast Guard etc.

4. A huge topic of discussion on the annexation of Canada is ongoing and picking up steam. For this one reason it would be an asset to both sides to have an area in order to get a read on what Canadians and Americans are thinking. A Canadian post gets lost in these Threads.

Thanks

I think it's a nice idea Jude, your points are completely Valid, and for those concerned at what a future
could bring would most definately affect Canada seeing as America is right next door and soon, Canadians
will be sold out due to ignorance and greed, with the main resource being Water, one of the very few large land mass fresh water resources in the world still left. People could very well create a war over it, so yes It will be everyone's concern then, if not now. Never mind Mexico and all the crap going on with them.
edit on 11-5-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by jude11

why canada ? apart from thier shared border with USA ?? there are 10 nations with greater population and ecconomy

That is true....but we also have massive stores of natural resourses that no other nation can match. Postash, Oil, Forestry, Water...so on and so forth. Canada has a massive impact on the total scale of production.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
As at least one other person noted, regional politics has a bit of Canadian content:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hmmmm ... what would John Titor say ;-)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

While all can post in those forums, you know what they mean.

I'm a US citizen, so one way or another I don't fell left out because the people who run this place are from here, but I totally see where people from other countries feel shafted.

We hear so often on these boards how us Americans "think the world revolves around us", why not give those from other countries/regions a dedicated place for their issues. If I was Canadian, European, Asian, I would feel shafted big time. Especially the Europeans. Half of the topics I read either are about, or are written by them.

It's nothing short of smart to give different regions dedicated political forums. It's not like it would take that much work. If anything, it would make this place feel more global in the short term, and become more global in the long term.

Not to mention those who do not wish to mess with US Politics, or European Politics, or Canadian Politics can simply skip over those sections.

I honestly don't get how we have dedicated 2012 US Election forum etc, but nothing for other countries.

Or, as I suggested earlier, use that fancy poll feature that spams every page we visit to ask the clients of this website what they want. If the staff wants to know what we think of Obama read the only forum dedicated to one country's political issues.
edit on 5/12/2011 by iamsupermanv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I am in favor of a Canadian forum. We are connected by much more than a border, and I'm ashamed to say I know very little about Canadian politics and culture, yet the Canadians here on ATS know more about the US than most Americans.

As for the argument if one, then all, it never ever turns out to be true. You'd get some other requests, probably from the UK, but not many others, I'd bet.

And I nominate jude11 to moderate the forum, since it was his idea. He could ask Intrepid, a super-mod Canuck, to be his mentor.
edit on 12-5-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Completely agree.

Each Country has it's own political, economical and social issues yet there is no place on ATS for other nations to call 'Home' so to speak.

It would indeed make ATS a Global community that in my opinion, would be viewed by many as a step towards being truly open to what the World has to say.

I don't see this as a separation but an enrichment and an invitation to others that have not yet joined ATS.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
I am in favor of a Canadian forum. We are connected by much more than a border, and I'm ashamed to say I know very little about Canadian politics and culture, yet the Canadians here on ATS know more about the US than most Americans.

As for the argument if one, then all, it never ever turns out to be true. You'd get some other requests, probably from the UK, but not many others, I'd bet.

And I nominate jude11 to moderate the forum, since it was his idea. He could ask Intrepid, a super-mod Canuck, to be his mentor.
edit on 12-5-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

Yes, we are taught from Kindergarten about the history and then politics of the US as we get older. We watch American TV, read US Newspapers and talk daily of US current events.

Yet for a Country so close and similar in every way, many Americans know very little of Canada.

Let's face it, we are getting closer every day to the NAU. I don't think that's even in doubt anymore. But if we have something to say on a topic like this, we have to search through the forums to find a place to put our thread. And even then, it ends up in some American Politics Forum. Yet there are 2 Nations involved.

If we want to ask an American their opinion on something truly American, it's no problem finding a forum. But where does America find us? Where can they drop in to see what we think?

Thanks to all who support this idea and I hope that ATS looks at the issue a little more closely and at least consider the value of such a forum.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

While I think it's a reasonable request, I think you may be trying to put the cart before the horse. From what I have seen on ATS, topics get their own forum when the level of demand dictates it. And I dont really see a lot of Canadian Content topics here on ATS yet. I saw a few threads after the election last week, but beyond that not much. Why not start some more Canadian threads in a section like 'regional politics' and build the demand so you can make a real appeal to Admin?

for example: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well, here goes a different view, and I'm expecting you to pounce on me, but here goes anyway.

After the huge fiasco of the WMD in Iraq, many foreigners say that the US is in the habit of naval gazing as opposed to seeing the whole picture. And when people only get to see or hear from one vantage point, they become sheeple. Think about it: Other countries had intel that strongly differed but nowhere were they given a voice in the US even though around the world people were throwing shoes or yelling at the TV.

So I propose that the US Political madness emcompass everyone's point of view by re-naming it the International Political Madness forum.

Ok, you can all pounce now.

edit on 13-5-2011 by aboutface because: spelling,

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
Well, here goes a different view, and I'm expecting you to pounce on me, but here goes anyway.

After the huge fiasco of the WMD in Iraq, many foreigners say that the US is in the habit of naval gazing as opposed to seeing the whole picture. And when people only get to see or hear from one vantage point, they become sheeple. Think about it: Other countries had intel that strongly differed but nowhere were they given a voice in the US even though around the world people were throwing shoes or yelling at the TV.

So I propose that the US Political madness emcompass everyone's point of view by re-naming it the International Political Madness forum.

Ok, you can all pounce now.

edit on 13-5-2011 by aboutface because: spelling,

How can I pounce on sound logic?

Good idea as well tho...Thanks

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
California has more people and a larger economy than Canada. Should they also get their own subforum?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
California has more people and a larger economy than Canada. Should they also get their own subforum?

If California wants their very own forum then i'm sure they'll do it. Or better yet, maybe you
could be their cheerleader and start one.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by awareness10

i'm too busy creating canadian content no one is interested in. and i havent lived in california in ten years. I was merely giving some context to the notion that canada deserves or would actual benefit from a separate forum. Seeing as there are very few 'canadian' threads really even started, i have a hard time seeing a demand.
edit on 13-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

hmm ok, maybe it's time to consider creating canadian content that's worth reading then?
To all his own, is that not right? I just fail to see why a simple suggestion by non americans
would cause so much friction from mainly americans as this thread has. tis all.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by awareness10

hmm ok, maybe it's time to consider creating canadian content that's worth reading then?

Perhaps. I'm not sayng any threads ive started are gems. I'm merely pointing out that there is really no demand.

To all his own, is that not right? I just fail to see why a simple suggestion by non americans

What 'friction'? The only friction i see is a few folks who think they forum should cater specifically to them without doing anything constructive to engender it. But, 'to each his own'

Let us know when you start some of these highly-in-demand Canadian Content threads so we can all particiate in them. kind friend.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by awareness10

Perhaps. I'm not sayng any threads ive started are gems. I'm merely pointing out that there is really no demand.

What 'friction'? The only friction i see is a few folks who think they forum should cater specifically to them without doing anything constructive to engender it. But, 'to each his own'

Let us know when you start some of these highly-in-demand Canadian Content threads so we can all particiate in them. kind friend.

You seemed somewhat disturbed to write about it though right? ... just a visual observance.I think maybe you're missing the guys point completely here though, I certainly didn't take his creating this thread as a was of insisting anyone cater to it specifically, but rather, more of a concern for other peaceful Canucks who just simply feel like starting a thread. or should i say a threat, to some apparently.

edit on 13-5-2011 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

While I think it's a reasonable request, I think you may be trying to put the cart before the horse. From what I have seen on ATS, topics get their own forum when the level of demand dictates it. And I dont really see a lot of Canadian Content topics here on ATS yet. I saw a few threads after the election last week, but beyond that not much. Why not start some more Canadian threads in a section like 'regional politics' and build the demand so you can make a real appeal to Admin?

for example: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

"incrediblelousminds'" post quoted above, precisely describes how new forums get created on ATS.

If Canadian specific content starts flowing in huge volume we will create a new forum for it. The reality is that when we "put the cart before the horse" we end up with a rather dead and unused forum. We've done it before and it wasn't worth the effort.

With a completely custom coded site as large and feature rich as ATS, creating a new forum is many hour long process, not a simple click of a few options.

Just to be clear, my whole family originated in Toronto, Ontario. I'd love a Canadian Forum, there just isn't the demand for one, yet...

Springer...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
"incrediblelousminds'" post quoted above, precisely describes how new forums get created on ATS.

If Canadian specific content starts flowing in huge volume we will create a new forum for it. The reality is that when we "put the cart before the horse" we end up with a rather dead and unused forum. We've done it before and it wasn't worth the effort.

With a completely custom coded site as large and feature rich as ATS, creating a new forum is many hour long process, not a simple click of a few options.

Just to be clear, my whole family originated in Toronto, Ontario. I'd love a Canadian Forum, there just isn't the demand for one, yet...

Springer...

Thanks for weighing in Springer.

I guess I'm more of a "Build it, and they will come" kinda guy. Even ATS had to start with Member #1 in the old days.

My ideal Canadian Forum title would be "Truly Canadian"...a slogan we all know up here and would allow for anything Canadian.

I don't think a separate forum for Politics, Finance, News etc would be necessary as everything Canadian would find its way to one Forum encompassing all. There would also be no need to have more than one Mod.

I do understand the programming issue but if the owners and staff could put together a poll for the members, it might bear fruit that we haven't even thought of in this thread. It could be a YAY or NAY based on the Community input.

Thanks again!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join