It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ State Police "Outraged" Over Rapper Invite to White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
nbcnewyork.com

While even casual hip-hop fans wouldn't characterize him as a controversial rapper, Common found himself under the microscope after First Lady Michelle Obama invited him to the White House for an arts event. In question: the lyrics to "A Song for Assata," about convicted cop-killer and former Black Panther Assata Shakur. FOX News and Sarah Palin condemned the decision after the Daily Caller published some of Common's lyrics, including some that criticize former President George W. Bush. For New Jersey police, the outrage centers on "A Song for Assata" lyrics like "Your power and pride is beautiful. May God bless your soul."

Ok so what do you guys think should he be on the guest list for the White House because of that Assata song? I haven't heard it but I'm familiar with the story. She killed a trooper years ago and fled the country. Here is an article on her if you aren't. Infoshop News

Please keep you comments on the story and avoid partisan political talk the boss says he wants this forum clean.
edit on 11-5-2011 by UcDat because: edit text

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is just another example of this presidents associations and the people he hangs around.

He's a radical racist who has ties to the Chicago mob(government), he associates himself with people that hate America, and everyday that guy lowers the standard for an American president. He's an absolute embarrassment to anyone that loves this country.

This week he'll have a controversial rapper, next week he'll be dining with Louis Farrakhan. So embarrassing.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
who cares about new jersey cops and their freaking feelings. They get paid to do a job thats it, it does not entitle them to judge a entertainer or anyone else for that matter. Ghadfi was allowed in the white house and he's said many negative things about america and the current president.

im so tired of every cop who thinks they are better than the rest. I think police are worst than "RAPPERS" they are the ones beating innocent people down, they are the ones rapping women, they are always the ones who shoot someone over a traffic stop when they had a phone in hand and not a gun.

Rappers just talk about it, its the ones you believe that are supposed to protect you that are killing you!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The only problem with this would be if this was a song he performed at the event. If not its just a song he made, give the man credit he's one of the few artists to make his own songs, which is something don't realize bout rap the ones who write their own stuff are the last artists in any genre.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
and sad but true your statements are a embarresment to this country, not the prez.... he may not be doing a great job but your obvious racial comments is not going to change any thing in the white house.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Honestly, I live in NJ and personally no one cares what the cops think, except for the cops themselves. And to be honest this is just a piece of propaganda to divert attention away from serious social/political issues on hand. If Sarah Palin is raising the issue (or is at least part of it) you know it has no sound footing to stand on...

As far as your question about do I care about what is going on in the Whitehouse? The answer is simple, no. Will I be there? No. Will you be there? No. So in reality if your not a guest or someone associated to the WH (personnel, staff, etc...) then who cares what the financial aristocracy does?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
By some comments here, I get the impression people think the President should only align himself with people who have the same view point? Or who have the same view point of citizens? What is learned that way.

How do we know that Mr. or Mrs. Obama won't have a conversation about that particular song? Or about any other "questionable" comments Common has made?

But it's better to not ask questions? To not take differing view points in? Or to just ignore an art form/artist because we don't like what they say?

That's intelligent.

Let Common go to this event. What does it hurt? My view point that people shouldn't be killed regardless of their profession. Plus, does Common directly say "let's go kill some cops"? I don't think so. Just because he has a song about a person he finds inspiring or that was important to a movement does not mean he shares that person's view point.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Reminds me of when everybody tried to make GW out to be some sort of pedophile because "My Sharona" was on his ipod.

Nobody cares but the clinically insane.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

Common is awesome in my opinion! Regarding his song "A Song For Assada" She did a lot of good things for the world, she ran a school breakfast program and eventually left the Black Panthers because of the macho behavior of male members and that the Black Panther Party had a alleged lack of focus on black history. She was a fighter for equality, there's two sides to every story.
edit on 11-5-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

yep she was a formidable person IMO just had a listen to the song not bad at all

We need more like her in America today (cop killing aside she was a powerful and righteous activist.)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
maybe its one of those fake invitations where they invite criminals and arrest them....maybe he's the big winner!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So... you guys think it's fine for Walker to totally screw a crap-ton of cops out of their rights but then get mad when Obama has a rapper in the White House that sings bad songs about them?

Double standard?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
So... you guys think it's fine for Walker to totally screw a crap-ton of cops out of their rights but then get mad when Obama has a rapper in the White House that sings bad songs about them?

Double standard?

lol ya kinda messed up priorities. I think the big shot pigs are mostly satanic masons at least it would explain their actions.

edit on 11-5-2011 by UcDat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I mean why else protect bad cops heck even encourage them to be extra brutal if not to sow fear and dissent? Picking on a lone black rapper because he wrote and sung an inspirational song about a black female activist from the 60's. When like you pointed out Walker is laying the groundwork for the death of their unions.

top topics

join