It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Builds Asteroid Landscape on Ocean Floor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Before humans explore an asteroid in space, a group of NASA astronauts and scientists will test concepts and techniques for the future expeditions on a mock space rock on the ocean floor.

This week, engineers are laying the foundations for the 15th expedition of NASA's Extreme Environment Mission Operations, or NEEMO 15 for short, which is scheduled to begin on Oct. 17. To prepare for that fall undersea mission, diving crews are setting up the tools and rocky environment needed to simulate an asteroid landscape.

News Link

I'm curious what, if any, specific asteroid they are training for?

Asteroid 2005 YU55 to Approach Earth on November 8, 2011

Although classified as a potentially hazardous object, 2005 YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over at least the next 100 years. However, this will be the closest approach to date by an object this large that we know about in advance and an event of this type will not happen again until 2028 when asteroid (153814) 2001 WN5 will pass to within 0.6 lunar distances.

Is there a chance they could be hoping to hitch a ride on YU55?
(In case there is further confusion, this comment is an attempt - I thought a rather blatant one - at some humor this morning.)
edit on 11-5-2011 by zillah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
i would doubt its Yu55. as far as i know, we dont have a space vehicle capable of landing on an asteroid yet but who knows

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Im hoping you catch a ride on Yu55.
edit on 11-5-2011 by lestweforget because: typo

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Would be epic if they were planning on 'Exploring' that object behind elenin. Possibly looking to discover life or destroy it?

Annunaki?

Nah not very likely not but its fun to speculate.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget

Well, I was joking about YU55...hence the big smiley face afterwards. Apologies that it was lost on you.

I just found the first article quite fascinating and thought I would share it. But thanks for your interesting input.
edit on 11-5-2011 by zillah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
S&F

Fair play - this is rather interesting and I had no idea that NASA had/would/will opperate on the ocean floor... makes you wonder what else they have built in the deep dark depths doesn't it?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

They are hoping to film a fake asteroid landing later on in the year.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
edit on 11-5-2011 by lestweforget because: typo

"no you're a towel"

seriously, what on earth is your problem here?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

Originally posted by Flying Sorcerer
S&F

Fair play - this is rather interesting and I had no idea that NASA had/would/will opperate on the ocean floor... makes you wonder what else they have built in the deep dark depths doesn't it?

It really does! And it makes sense that they would use the environment to simulate the gravitational terrain. This is exciting, imo; that there is still interest beyond exploring the moon.

Asteroids are targets that will reduce the risk of all deep space exploration. They can deliver continuing value to scientific discovery, planetary defense objectives and the utilization of space resources, as well as hone operational expertise for trekking on to Mars.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Here is my dumb question of the day:

If you parked something on a potentially threatening asteroid that would take a small piece of the asteroid itself and launch it would you reduce the mass of the asteroid and alter its course at the same time?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Yes, that is one of NASA's long term plans to derail an asteroid that could hit earth, but it is an extremely long process so they would have to catch it pretty far out.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

thanks never heard that one talked about before. must be a good time to start get some practice in before the big game

top topics

join