It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina Battles Feds Over Light Bulbs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Go South Carolina!

I really am disgusted with the new "green" bulbs.
They are toxic, emit cancer causing fumes, an put off an unpleasant light.

I stocked up on the old bulbs.

And who wants to evacuate the room, the house after one is broken?

Imagine what could happen in an earthquake with these new bulbs?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Big business loves environmental regulatory laws.

I can't believe you have gone to this place my friend

A great deal of knowledge you did have you flushed without looking at the quality of the stuff being flushed.
Not ALL the content in your head was bad, that is just not reasonable to assume...

The perto-chemical and coal industries,lobbies very hard each year to demolish enviromental regulatory law. They do not love regulatory laws...

So what is disheartening about your six words is that you make no distinction, even though the distinction
could lead to a lifelong debate, you, the great Misoir uses press release logic.

"Big business loves environmental regulatory laws"

INDIA, CHINA and MEXICO

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/251ec8f51331.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec144aa2c380.jpeg[/atsimg]

This last one says a lot

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b208ff278a60.jpg[/atsimg]

Mental exercise, for mental atrophy

In regards to the OP, good on em

in regards to humanity, oh well

edit on 11-5-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
While I actually prefer the new bulbs in several ways, I think it is horrific to try and ban the old ones.

Good on any state that stands up to stupidity.

You'll change your mind once/if they start a fire in your home....

What doth it profit a man to save a few cents on electric only to have his home burned to the ground?

With the advent of changing our old light bulbs for the new “energy efficient” ones that can present health hazards, could this be just the tip of the iceberg?

If they are broken in the home they become a hazard and there is the need to correctly dispose of them. And where were these recalled bulbs made? Give up? Can everyone in Mr. Roger’s neighborhood say together, “CHINA?”

These bulbs are extremely dangerous to have in children's rooms; or any lamp that is in their reach. Stories abound where these blubs have been broken and rooms had to be sealed off until they were deemed safe once again. The lamp shade must never come in contact with the bulb because of the extreme heat that could result in an instant fire.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I agree. There's nothing wrong with moving to a new type of bulb, but they are terrible. Incandescent bulb will always have a natrual look, better than those buld that allegedly simulate daylght. I bout some of those, and the are nothing like true light of the sun. . .unless they're trying to get us to accept that daylight is actually whiter than it used to be because of changes in the sun's light due to huge storms on the sun that are resulting to a change in how it uses hydrogen. that is the longes run on sentence I've ever written.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Great to hear that some folks still have common sense. Sure the new bulbs are more energy efficient than
the old time favorites, but the mercury,etc. released during disposal is nasty.
So, who's brothers,cousins,uncle owns the patents and manufacturing? Who is making a buck on this.
As great as "Green" is, there are those who wear a green mask. If you catch my drift.
Most opportunists jump on the current trend for political or financial gain. Not because it is truly the
right thing for humanity at large. This type of character clearly does not belong in public office.
Because in the long run, we will all pay dearly for their short term sociopathic gain.
Thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I love my state. We're pretty persistent about hanging on to our beliefs.

Leave it to us to fight over lightbulbs.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The new Green bulbs are dangerous and toxic. If you break one in your home it requires a HAZMAT cleanup. They contain mercury and mercury will leach out in the landfills. The new ones give off dangerous chemicals if left on too long.

I'll keep my incandescants, thanks.

Good post OP

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Now I wish my state of North Carolina would do the same.

It is just a light bulb. Do we really need a law banning it?

It makes no sense to me.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
South Carolina is very hardheaded about the US Government trying to tell it what it can and can not do. It has always been a very big believer in states rights. It has vehemently protested anything in the past where the government has tried to tell it what it can and can not do.

pffft. One little Nullification Crisis in 1832 and South Carolina is like "oh no you di'nt!" And then some incident in 1860. Something minor, probably. I can't remember.

I actually like the light that CFL bulbs give off. The light from an incandescent is too orange for me. That being said, it's ridiculous to force a change from them. If that's what the people want, they should be able to get it as long as it is being produced.

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
This has already happened in the UK. I hate the things

This has happened in Australia too. I hate the things.
You can still get incandescent light bulbs of (I think) 40watts or less. I have these wherever it is possible and massive amounts of photons arent needed.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
These reduce energy costs as my house has been using them going on north of 20 years and have never had an accident. Common sense and logic should dictate that minors should not play with them and shall not ever break them.

Goiv't does have the authourity to regulate what is sold and where as if a clearcut 66% or better of the electorate demands something they get it.

The flourescent's primary purpose is to provide light and can't be used on dimmers. Those with animal cages still need regular bulbs as those give off heat. The little area that screws into the socket is plastic and does not burn like a regular bulb when you go to change it. Plus they last months as compared to weeks with a regular.

Savings on your electric bill, savings on buying new bulbs equals more money in everyone's pockets as that $1 bulb will die after a couple months while that $5 flourescent will last for a couple of years! Never buy Chinese made bulbs.
edit on 12-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
CFL's pulse at a rate similar to an NTSC formatted television screen.

this very specific flicker rate puts your mind into a state where it is several times more open to influence, than in a normal state.

it has been suggested that CFL's are also made to work hand-in-hand with smart meters, and can be triggered remotely to pulse at different rates achieving different psychological and physiological results, in whomever is on the receiving end.

this has nothing to do with the environment....or at least not the one your thinking of.

smart meters will also be how they plan on enforcing the new phase in. so if you wish to circumvent this just run your lighting on a solar panel or some other off-grid power source.

The light being emitted from a bulb like this is consistent and will not affect someone's internal firewall. Video games, rapid light shows, television, computers, laptops, mp3 players makes you way more suggestive to suggestion then these bulbs are. Regular light bulbs are more dangerous to the optic nerve and the overall eye as little at 5 seconds of direct exposure will blind someone. These are softer on the eyes and doesn't force the eye to consistently readjust everytime you entre a room.

3D TV, HD TV and 4D TV does the same exact thing as video games yet everyone is embracing those fully.

They are recyclable as all you gotta do is bag up all of them and drop them off at your local recycling centre and they will ship them back to the manufactuer and they will disassemble and use whatever they could, refurbish and repackage them. The centre or municipality receives a tax credit for them. So to suggest that they are bad for the environment is wrong, DEAD WRONG. This is how you reduce the population at landfills.
edit on 12-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
i think they screwed up my eyes, i will look into a law suit.

and i broke one and my dog died.

i have no cockroaches anymore, tho.

i really don't like them. i loved the frosted soft white 25w bulbs.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
i think they screwed up my eyes, i will look into a law suit.

and i broke one and my dog died.

i have no cockroaches anymore, tho.

i really don't like them. i loved the frosted soft white 25w bulbs.

I doubt that they alone destroyed your eyes, but since you apparently are able and capable of reading text and processing images visually means your case is baseless. Your dog died (sorry for your loss) as a result of toxic inhalation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I never said they loved all environmental regulations as there are some common sense ones. What I am saying is that the ones being pushed right now in our country and in other Western countries are ones that monopolize the already big businesses. No toxic waste dumping and other common sense laws do not monopolize anything but this "cap and trade" as well as these light bulbs and other laws like this are monopolizing the businesses big enough to lobby congress which removes the competition so yes they do love these environmental regulations because it chases medium and small businesses out of town.
edit on 5/12/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Way to go S.Carolina!

If they pass this, looks like I'll be taking annual vacations to S.Carolina and bringing back some souvienirs 'Made in South Carolina' light bulbs. What a novel new tourist industry.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

So far, I've been able to find the old bulbs at the different dollar stores and they are cheap, so I bought quite a few boxes of them.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

This thread is still going... Which is good, but the sad thing is that we are all talking about light bulbs. Not Osama Bin Laden or any other important conspiracy.

I would like to say although, they advertise these bulbs last longer than normal bulbs is a lie. I have had several die within months of buying them. And they are not cheap yet.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I just heard on the news here in Argentina that incandescent light bulbs aren't going to be sold in the country after May 31st.

At least in the US you have a state that's willing to fight to keep them on the shelves. Here people are convinced that the energy saving light bulbs are better and completely harmless just because the government said so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join