It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina Battles Feds Over Light Bulbs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Link

South Carolina lawmakers have seen the light, and they want to retain old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. The bulbs, set to be phased out under federal efficiency standards over the next three years, could stay on the shelves in the Palmetto State, The Foundry blog reports.

The Incandescent Light Bulb Freedom Act has already unanimously passed a state Senate panel and will be debated next in the House. It would allow the old bulbs to be sold only if they are stamped “Made in South Carolina.” They would be banned from sale outside the state.

OPINION

I like my old incandescent light bulbs. Maybe they are not what the 'environmentalists' like but who has given them the legal authority to determine what type of light bulbs can be sold in this country? There are many benefits of our current light bulbs such as their soft glow, lack of giving us cancer, and when they break it is not an environmental or health hazard.

Finally a state has realized that the federal government does not have the authority to control our lighting preference through law. Giving special favors to their corporations of choice is all this was about. All government does in the name of 'environmentalism' is subsidize big businesses of their choosing. General Electric would be given special perks with this federal law because all their CFL's are made overseas while the incandescent bulbs are made here in the United States.

Where does the head of GE sit by the way? On President Obama's job commission. It is no wonder why this law was lobbied for so hard. Big business loves environmental regulatory laws. This way their medium sized business, i.e. those without the ability to lobby hard, are run out of town.

South Carolina is providing their citizens with freedom of choice, as we all should have. You can buy the CFL's if you would like but you can also purchase the incandescent bulbs so long as they are made and sold solely in the state.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I hate everything about the new bulbs, including the light they give off. I can see it now, Fed's uncover bootleg light bulb operation, taking light bulbs across state lines.

Wait, that's not funny, I'd be doing it!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This is one of the few times I will ever back South Carolina. I have lived there and can honestly say they have bigger fish to fry. However, this is one place I would like to see more states take a stand.

Besides subsidizing big business they are forcing people to buy dangerous products. CFLs contain mercury. Dropping one in a house with kids could lead to long term problems. Plus the disposal of these bulbs has not been thoroughly addressed. They pose a long term health risk to the entire planet if dropped in to land fills. They must be recycled. However, in many places the only location for recycling them is the local Home Depot or Lowes. Most people are not going to make a special trip to one of those stores to dispose of light bulbs.

Personally I have started switching to halogen lights. They save some energy and do not require special disposal. The only reason I have chosen them is because the government is mandating that we phase out incandescents.

The government has over stepped their bounds on this issue. That should suprise no one. So, South Carolina gets my full support on this matter.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Light Bulb Checkpoints, anyone?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hoo-rah for South Carolina! Star and flag, misoir!

Making incandescent light bulbs illegal, what a crock of crap. It would make more sense for the feds make radioactive dairy products illegal to sell. But then we wouldn't be able to drink milk right now would we?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
CFL's pulse at a rate similar to an NTSC formatted television screen.

this very specific flicker rate puts your mind into a state where it is several times more open to influence, than in a normal state.

it has been suggested that CFL's are also made to work hand-in-hand with smart meters, and can be triggered remotely to pulse at different rates achieving different psychological and physiological results, in whomever is on the receiving end.

this has nothing to do with the environment....or at least not the one your thinking of.

smart meters will also be how they plan on enforcing the new phase in. so if you wish to circumvent this just run your lighting on a solar panel or some other off-grid power source.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
How can CFL bulbs be remotely considered environmentally friendly considering their mercury content??? Imagine a landfill full of them in 20 years and the leeching effects to groundwater thanks to the lunatics forcing these bulbs down our throats.

I'm glad SC is close. I hate CFLs and am glad there will be a source for REAL bulbs nearby.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I do not like the new bulbs! They are too bright and expensive!

I can get a pack of 4 of the old bulbs for less than 1.50 but these new bulbs are like 7 bucks for ONE! That is ridiculous!

I dont think anyone has the right to tell people what kind of bulbs they want to use. I mean how long have we used these bulbs? There is nothing wrong with them imo!

Also the new bulbs I thought were dangerous if broken? The old ones not so much.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
While I actually prefer the new bulbs in several ways, I think it is horrific to try and ban the old ones.

Good on any state that stands up to stupidity.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The regular light bulbs (incandescent bulb) that we are all use to, were once designed to last many years. There is one such light bulb that has been burning (on) continuously for 110 years (seen in 2nd video & live webcam link below).

This was all before a nefarious group of mega corporations called the Phoebus Cartel mandated planned obsolescence/premature failure into the light bulb.

Planned obsolescence & Systemic obsolescence (products which have been designed to fail prematurely) is something I dare say that has frustrated most of us, all to often. This is one of the most direct ways that the corporate/gov elites forced people to constantly empty their wallets in order to keep us under their control, as we "spin our tires" in the same spot instead of going forward.

Pyramids of Waste aka The Lightbulb Conspiracy (2010)

Live "BulbCam" [url=http://www.centennialbulb.org/cam.htm]~~>Link

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm originally from South Carolina. I lived there for 31 years. I know how the state thinks, and I seriously doubt this really has anything to do with light bulbs. South Carolina is very hardheaded about the US Government trying to tell it what it can and can not do. It has always been a very big believer in states rights. It has vehemently protested anything in the past where the government has tried to tell it what it can and can not do.

This is evidenced even more by the fact they want to allow the bulbs as long as they are made in the state itself. We make them here, so there is no interstate commerce involved therefore the US has no authority.

EDIT to add.....I totally agree with SC here. Especially if every part of the bulb is made in SC and then not sold outside of the state. The US has NO authority in this. I still don't think the Government should tell the states what to do anyways in the first place.

edit on 11-5-2011 by webpirate because: Additional thoughts

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Instead of beer runs, I see people making bulb runs to SC, this will be a boon to their economy as people from neighboring states come into SC to buy these bulbs.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
reply to post by chiefsmom

Light Bulb Checkpoints, anyone?

What a bright idea!
I'm sure the dim witted beaurucrats will get on it right away.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i read somewhere that the new bulbs actually cost like $5.00 more to manufacture than the sell them for, and the taxpayers unknowingly give the money to GE to make up the difference

I wonder if we could still get good bulbs online ??

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I've gotten a handful of these new bulbs for free from work during "earth day" over the last few years. The funniest thing about them, is that so far they burn out quicker than incandescent. I've replaced the 3 on the outside of my house twice so far in the last 2 years. And the ones i've tried to use inside lasted the same amount of time, but i don't like the light they give off so i never replaced those

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This has already happened in the UK. I hate the things, the light is different and they are extremely dangerous to the environment if broken. I think the best bet is to invest in some LED bulbs, they may cost more but they are a lot better.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yeah, after reading the German report on their toxicity, we replaced all the energy savers in our home with incandescent a few days ago. Since we work out of the home, we're here a lot. I've actually felt more at ease not having the newer style lights. Maybe it's because the light is much warmer in color. I suppose that's debatable.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

what south carolina thinks there specal to bad if they cant see the light take there elect away they might not no the diffrence since there are the dark anyway the new bulbs are better so use them

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by john1287

wow....Want to buy some punctuation. That wasn't understandable at all.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

no you got my point................................................................................................................................................. .....................................................................................................................................

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join