It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have A Question About Hell

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikemp44

You may be right...or...you may be oh so wrong......................some people think the realm we are in on Earth right now is a level of hell.....with all the evil on this planet....is that hard to believe?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikemp44

They are complete opposites of each other, but chaos must destroy order for order to create anew.

Good thought, but not quite correct, friend. Order and Chaos are direct opposites, as are Good and Evil, Black and White, God and Devil. Both must exist or none will exist. That is the nature of things. One defines the other, so say if Good/God were able to Kill/Destroy Evil/Devil, then existence would probably fold up on itself and cease to exist all together. You simply cannot have one without the other.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

For every site like the one you link to, there is another site that debunks every single claim.

Freind, those quote with reference points were taken directly from the KJV Bible. So you can find a site to debunk the bible, I believe you, there are thousands, if not millions of pages showing exactly where the bible came from, who wrote, and was in the stories, not to mention Archeology, and I know Christianity likes to think they are on the side of the Church, they are not. Slowly but surely the Holy bible, the Torah, and the Koran are being taken apart and examined under a microscope.
And I thought you all took the Bible as the word of your God, every word true, and that you are bound by Covenant to obey the Biblical Law as the highest Law there is? Correct me here, if I am in error. You cannot have it both ways. Either you follow the law set down by your God, or you do not. there is no gray area here. Look at your clothing. Have something made of two kids of threads? You are looking at eternal damnation for that one. Better not cast you gaze on that Fox next door, either, she may be someone's wife, and again, you break the law of God.

If you read the passage it's quite evident that God did not excuse him, in fact the "protection" was not protection at all, it was his punishment. To be a fugitive in his time was a fate worse than death, and God marked him so that he would not be killed and would therefore have to live out his entire life as a fugitive. And in those days people lived hundreds of years, so it was a long-lasting punishment.

I'll give you that one, to make a point. You know when Cain left his Mom and Dad and went to live with the other people? Those people evidently not created by the God of Israel? I am one of the other people.

Every other passage listed there also has a reasonable explanation, but I don't have time to explain them all.

I do not really need you to explain to me anything. If you are following the Law of God, you follow the words exactly as God wrote them down there, in the Book. You do not "explain" the law, you are not God's attorney, are you?

I am not trying to make you angry, or to call you out. all I am doing is making a point. When a person crows that the Bible is the word of God, and claims are made of your faith, and commitment, then you should not go about questioning your Master and Lord, or attempting to explain what the words written down mean to this or that person. Want to be a Christian? Then act like Jesus did. I have it that he hated organized religion, and money in the Temple was a big no no. Remember this next time thy pass that plate.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What's the big deal? If you donate to the church, you wont go to hell!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
my idea of hell is being brought to fruition in front of our eyes we are in paradise now and destroying it

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
there is no ruler in hell. the devil will get it worse than anybody else.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41)
edit on 11-5-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You are living in it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chevy369

No - it's living inside of you.

Your fears, and phobias.

Joking

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

edit on 11-5-2011 by minkmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Hell ....imagene the blackest black where you cannot see anyone or anything...now imagene existing there for eternity.......

Also...imagene 2 very large doors....angels on each side of them...the doors are opened and there is a sea of people who's bodies are frozen from the head down......this is the inbetween place.....a lot of suicides go there.....

Now stop imagining and it all goes away because it can only exist in imagination!

Imagine that

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

My ex-wife is from there. She told me it is nothing like the story you gave-- and that her slightly less evil twin brother, the devil, and his minions do all of their torturing on earth.

Seriously, Hell as the "Place of the Dead" is likened to something as a prison from which there was no escape until Christ Jesus was raised from the dead. Speculative theology (with Biblical support) includes the concept of the "Harrowing of Hell" -- that is, that while Christ was in the Place of the Dead (Nicene Creed: "He descended into Hell") that the demons there, enjoying the dead as their prize, were startled to find that it was they who were the hunted, finding Christ's presence to be their own torment.

Thus, when Christ says to the man on the cross beside him, "This day you will be with me in Paradise" the Lord refers to what was an eternal prison until His descent there, after which it became Paradise-- not Heaven, but a pleasant place where the souls of the faithfully departed rest in peace awaiting the return of Christ and the resurrection of their bodies.

Mystical and Spiritual poetry, prose, and other art forms have long made use of Hell and the torturous torment as imagery and symbolism in those works and those descriptions have become something of a standard "prop" in our culture. I am not faulting authors for those imaginative ways of telling spiritual truths, but I would doubt any of them had wanted their stories to become theological expression of the spiritual reality and used for theological discussion.

In short, there is much spiritual truth in art, but very little theological truth in art as your question indicates you have already realized for your self. And how the devil became the bad-guy, is in his tempting those being tormented in our cultural stories, to accept his evil ways. Those stories are not theological stories.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
there is no ruler in hell. the devil will get it worse than anybody else.

I have seen a lot of confusion on this thread. Randomname is on the right track.

Now that I have time, I have some comments/questions about "Hell" and what I say is intended more for Christians than non-believers.

OK, most of you believe the lost go to hell. Christianity 101, right? However, in Revelation 20:14 we see that "...death and hell were cast into the lake of fire." Do you see that if death & hell are destroyed, then no one can then be dead? Further, NO ONE can be still dead and in hell. The eternal torture doctrine is inconsistent.

"Hell" is a verb - it was what people used to do with fruits & veggies in the old days if they lacked a fruit cellar. They were BURIED with straw below the frostline, and it was called "helling." "Hell" in almost all cases refers to the "Grave."

Would God demand unending punishment for temporal sins? Review the Law of the Jubilee, which decreed the cancelling of all debts after the passage of so many years. Review also the Law of Refuge, which decreed the cancellation of blood guilt after the death of the high priest. God is trying to tell us prophetically thru the Law that all debt/sin/guilt is cancelled and forgiven at some point in the future, and the "lost" become free and able to go in to their inheritance. God does not exact to the last penny, but He forgives.

If you believe in a just God, you will tend to subscribe to the eternal torment of the lost.

If you believe in a merciful God, you will tend to subscribe to the final annihilation of the lost.

But...

If you believe in a loving God, you will accept the doctrine of the reconciliation of the lost to that loving God.

How many of you have tried to reconcile eternal torment with a loving God?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I refer you to this, the origin of Hell:

The word derives from the Hebrew: גי(א)-הינום Gêhinnôm (also Guy ben-Hinnom (גיא בן הינום) meaning the Valley of Hinnom's son. The valley forms the southwest border of ancient Jerusalem that stretches from the foot of Mt. Zion to the Kidron Valley. It is first mentioned in Joshua 15:8. Originally it referred to a garbage dump in a deep narrow valley right outside the walls of Jerusalem where fires were kept burning to consume the refuse and keep down the stench. It is also the location where bodies of executed criminals, or individuals denied a proper burial, would be dumped. In addition, this valley was frequently not controlled by the Jewish authority within the city walls; it is traditionally held that this valley was used as a place of religious child-sacrifice to Moloch by the Canaanites outside the city (comp. Jer. 2: 23). Like Sheol, Gehenna is sometimes translated as Hell.

www.newworldencyclopedia.org...

The fear of Hell keeps Christians in line, and keeps them from researching anything like their BIBLE.

Come to Jesus, or go to Hell.

-- Bumper sticker

After the prospective Christian has been lured in by hope, they are
driven further in by fear. The refined effects of fear finally becomes a trap
in which that fear, of damnation, becomes part of the horrid result of
questioning one's new faith. Fear is the key that fits the lock on the
Christian's heart. The more orthodox, or fundamentalistic, the Christian's
faith the more this is true. But the fear is almost universally denied by
Christians. They cannot admit this fear to themselves for to admit it is to
be unsure of one's salvation, a sin. If it weren't for biblical fear the
fantastic and unreal hope would soon loose its ability to create an emotional
fix.

I couldn't agree more. I'm still reading. It would make a good poll.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
The entire Bible is a guide for living life on a planet. All parables and allegories are there to create mental pictures in reflection of the overall truths of reality to our minds.

Heaven and hell are potentialities of choice. Like all other opposites, these degrees of difference can be managed. If we make choices that are against the laws set by the original programmer of this reality, we create hell. If we make choices that are in keeping with the original intent of the universe, we create heaven. This is true for the micro level of the individual as well as the macro level of the community, nation and planet. The choice to collapse the wave of probability is ours to make as the observers in this reality. Our choices matter. We create our own heaven and our own hell.

To really understand this, I consider what we are. Who am I? I am an artificial, bio-mechanical life-form, created by a higher intelligence. Not only has my mind been programmed for this reality, the entire reality is built around my education. This education is setup to teach me to atone (at-one-ment) with differences of degree like hot and cold, high and low, big and small, good and evil and so on. The education never ends.

When I am conceived, two seeds of information germinate in the womb. I develop until the cord is cut. If I do not develop, I am aborted. If I do develop, I am born into another world and the cord is cut. The earth is another womb of development. If I develop here, I am born again into the spirit and the silver cord is cut. If my soul does not develop, I am baptized again into the water of material reality. This is the wheel of life.

You can read about this in John 3. You can read about this in nearly every religion on earth. We create our own heaven and hell as the ox pulls the cart in life and the wheel turns.

Dhammapada
1. Choices

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you

As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart.

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with a pure mind
And happiness will follow you
As your shadow, unshakable.
"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.
"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts, and live in love.
In this world
Hate never yet dispelled hate.
Only love dispels hate.
This is the law,
Ancient and inexhaustible.

edit on 11-5-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

Good take on things, well put.
edit on 5/11/11 by Druid42 because: Added a comment. Author adheres to my views, however, a different religion.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3N3G4D3
Ok. So we all heard the stories.. if your bad you go to hell. and be tormented by the devil for eternity.

My question is, If The Devil tortures bad/evil people, why is he considered the bad one?? I seen a paragraph in a paper about the devil and I haven't thought about it until now.

The bible uses metaphors also. The literal description of hell is seperation from God. It is not a punishment for not being good, it is a choice. Most Christians (the Jews have a differant understanding and I cannot speak for them) believe that the only unpardonable sin is the rejection of the holy spirit. Lets say God spoke to you (the holy spirit) and you said you didn't want to know him, then he would give you that choice.

As for the Devil, he rejected God's decision and that is why he is seperated from God. He chose it. I am not saying you or anyone else needs to believe in God, I am answering the question of what we believe and why. The Devil is a fallen angel, the angels were told that one day humans would have governance over them. Some did not like this answer and revolted. They chose to seperate themselves from God to prove a point and were Satan was given power over this earth. The book, "Job" says that the Devil walks all over the earth looking to prove us unworthy and then tattle on us to God.

So, if you believe in God (not saying you do) and you believe in eternal separation from God then how do you describe it to people who don't understand what it would feel like to be in eternal solitary confinement with nothing to distract except your own thoughts (God created this reality and you get seperated from it also, it is a projection of his love for us). Now, if you had the choice between eternal solitary confinement or being with others who rejected God (demons and people), which would you choose? I believe most would choose to be with others who rejected God. I am not talking about atheists, I am talking about people who rejected his vary existance, not non-believers. We all know the truth when we die, whatever it may be.

If you were Satan and you rejected humans being in charge of you, how would you treat them in hell? I am guessing not to well. It gets funnier if you think it out, if hell is real (separtation from God) and you rejected God because Satan "deceived" you, how would you treat him in hell? I bet people would be bitter. Then you have both types fighting each other, demons and people. But, people can learn and even in Hell eventually Satan would get the short end of the stick; but, nobody wins.

There is an interesting part in "Revelations", it says that after the battle of Armageddon is STOPPED (it is not the end of the world), that Jesus reigns on earth for a thousand years and is then let out for a short time. I have always wondered why he is let out. Part of the answer is that the people on earth who have been ruled by Jesus also revolt against God. I guess that means that every being gets to choose to be with God or not. We are given free will, we are not robots and we get to choose who we associate with; but, we then get to live the choice. Do we get to reconsider, is a thousand years enough? Should be.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
"Hell" is a cleansing process and isn't eternal unless you're a truly, truly, terrible person - in which case your soul would probably be destroyed. The "devil" is man's negative emotions, actions, lack of spirit, etc. (selfishness, greed, materialism, living in the flesh, attachment to this world, and so on) - there is no goat man with red skin and a pitch fork unless that's something you completely believe you'll see.

It's a temporary place, where you would be tormented, but by yourself and others who are there with you. You remain there as long as it's necessary; it's not eternal, although it may seem like an eternity for some. Calling upon God in any way usually opens you up to him. Remember: God is the ultimate force of love, and would not allow anyone to suffer longer than what's good for them. A little time in in this "hell" is good for self reflection and to help you tie up the loose ends of your soul. It is indeed a "separation from God", but to some extent only because God is always there when you're ready to leave. Call to the light and you will be taken away from the darkness.

Cheers.
edit on 11/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

Where the hell do you get the idea that God shows no love? Wise men do not speak on matters on which they know little; they simply confess their own ignorance and demonstrate a willingness to learn. Be a wise man, for your own sake.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41)

Who exactly will say this, and how do you know for certain anyone will say this? I know you all love to say the red letters are the actual words of your Godman, but friend, not a word was written about him until he had been dead for some 70 years. Now I don't know about you, but I could not tell you what anyone said and anything a year ago, much less 70 years. And anyway, there is some evidence, and i believe it quite strongly, that a Roman family authored the New Testament, and invented the entire story line, and Jesus. It seems that Jesus Christ was Julius Caesar, and the family Piso was everyone else.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by Artanis667

Who exactly will say this, and how do you know for certain anyone will say this? I know you all love to say the red letters are the actual words of your Godman, but friend, not a word was written about him until he had been dead for some 70 years. Now I don't know about you, but I could not tell you what anyone said and anything a year ago, much less 70 years. And anyway, there is some evidence, and i believe it quite strongly, that a Roman family authored the New Testament, and invented the entire story line, and Jesus. It seems that Jesus Christ was Julius Caesar, and the family Piso was everyone else.

Please explain how you know when the bible was written, you say 70 years later, what do you base this on? LMAO. That means that you believe that the oldest "copies" are 70 years old. Hmmm, how does that explain how the original is? Now some simple things, Jesus was believed to be born in 32 AD. If you even make the effort, then Jesus was not born and killed in the same year; but, BC and AD don't have a 32 year pause. This is easy, that means that the first Gospel (according to your dates was written 38 years after the even, his crucifiction), that means that people were still alive that could contradict it, that lived there and they did not.

Put it in context. This a conspiracy theory website; but, if someone posted that a guy was shot to death on death row, it was filmed and he was now alive again and walking the streets, wouldn't you tell people that it wasn't true at that time? Show me where someone, anyone, Jew or Roman, said that Jesus was not killed by being nailed to a cross at 70 AD, oh, you can't. That is because neither the Romans nor the Jews said that at the time. That didn't happen till about 500 AD.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join