It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama invites Rapper Common, who raps about killing cops, to a White House celebration

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
While I do like the music of Cash, I do not see where he should be at the WH, as this is the People's House, and not all enjoy the music of Cash.

The White House should be a place devoid of artists of any kind, then? What about when they invite sports teams who win championships to the White House? I'm not a huge fan of NBA basketball, but I don't have an issue when the NBA champions are feted at the White House for their victory.

Musicians and other artists have been honored or invited to perform at the White House since it was built. Maybe we should take down all of the art on the walls of the White House, too? Some people don't think Frederic Remington's sculptures are especially great, others do, yet there are several in the White House, I've seen them when on tours there..

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Sorry, but I think the Govt has more important things to do then invite any of these people to the WH.
Their focus should be what the Govt is there to do, not pat each other and celebrities on the butt.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Ok, believe what you want.

I am all for freedom of speech.
Take for example the thread dedicated to people chasing down the flag burner. I believe that the guy has/had a right to burn the flag.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

I don't like Obama for many reasons. What you listed is just tip of the iceberg.

And before you even bring up Bush and his times, I don't like Bush either.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Sorry, but I think the Govt has more important things to do then invite any of these people to the WH.
Their focus should be what the Govt is there to do, not pat each other and celebrities on the butt.

You seem to have no appreciation for the positive role that art has in public life. Art lifts spirits, raises up consciousness and generally improves civilization when practiced at its highest levels. In fact, it is one of the most important markers of a civilization.

Think about what we value and remember most about past civilizations - it's always their art expressed in sculpture, painting, poetry, architecture, etc. Showing appreciation and honoring the value of what these people are doing and giving to society is a vital part of governing, I think. If governing is, in part, about making society better, then why not honor and promote those in our society who are spending their lives to improve the lives of others through their art?

They do the same for great scientists, statesmen and women and others in far flung fields who are doing great things. Art is all a part of that, and a very important part.
edit on 5/12/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Oh no, I do have appreciation for the arts. I don't think that the Govt should be paying for it or promoting it.

Comparing arts to things like civil defense is just obtuse.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

reply to post by atlscribe

While yes, most of his songs do not promote this, and some even talk about not calling women derogatory terms, the song dedicated to Assata Shakur, a known and convicted cop killer speaks volumes.

He was basically telling the story of Assata from the cop killing "incident" to her escape to Cuba and everything in between. He was vividly describing what transpired in those years better than some movies could ever depict. Rather than focusing on the poetic dexterity with which he does this, you choose to focus on the person being discussed. It was no different than someone making a documentary about her life. You are really clutching at straws now.
edit on 12-5-2011 by atlscribe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Oh no, I do have appreciation for the arts. I don't think that the Govt should be paying for it or promoting it.

So civil defense is the only thing of value in our society? Almost all of the greatest and most famous works of art from the past were bought and paid for by governments or by those who held political power. Governments are the greatest patrons of the arts in all of history.

- Most of Rodin's greatest works such as The Thinker, The Burgers of Calais, The Gates of Hell, etc. came as public commissions.
    - The Sistine Chapel
    - The Parthenon, the Pantheon and every other great building and sculpture of Greco-Roman civilization
    - The entirety of the Renaissance, which pushed civilization forward like it hadn't been in thousands of years, was bought and paid for by the Medicis, the Borgias and other great patrons.
    - The ancient Egyptians and all of their great art and architecture, all paid for by the Pharaohs.

I could pretty much go on forever with this list, and the U.S. government has always supported the arts with public sculptures and buildings, too. State governments do the same, and when it's done well, with taste, you get great public spaces and fine monuments and other works that are beneficial to society, IMO.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlscribe

While yes, most of his songs do not promote this, and some even talk about not calling women derogatory terms, the song dedicated to Assata Shakur, a known and convicted cop killer speaks volumes.

He was basically telling the story of Assata from the cop killing "incident" to her escape to Cuba and everything in between. He was vividly describing what transpired in those years better than some movies could ever depict. Rather than focusing on the poetic dexterity with which he does this, you choose to focus on the person being discussed. It was no different than someone making a documentary about her life. You are really clutching at straws now.

I would not care to watch, nor want a documentary creator of this at the WH.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

So he made some not so great decisions as a young adult. it happens

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlscribe

I would not care to watch, nor want a documentary creator of this at the WH.

Well that isn't up to you is it? Thankfully, your skewed views have no bearing in this matter.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

So civil defense is the only thing of value in our society? Almost all of the greatest and most famous works of art from the past were bought and paid for by governments or by those who held political power. Governments are the greatest patrons of the arts in all of history.

- Most of Rodin's greatest works such as The Thinker, The Burgers of Calais, The Gates of Hell, etc. came as public commissions.
    - The Sistine Chapel
    - The Parthenon, the Pantheon and every other great building and sculpture of Greco-Roman civilization
    - The entirety of the Renaissance, which pushed civilization forward like it hadn't been in thousands of years, was bought and paid for by the Medicis, the Borgias and other great patrons.
    - The ancient Egyptians and all of their great art and architecture, all paid for by the Pharaohs.

I could pretty much go on forever with this list, and the U.S. government has always supported the arts with public sculptures and buildings, too. State governments do the same, and when it's done well, with taste, you get great public spaces and fine monuments and other works that are beneficial to society, IMO.

No, not what is valued in society, as we the people can make our own choice. The Govt should do what is was created to do. Not hobnob with celebrities and sports stars.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Ah, so the WH and you get to decide that for me then?
Nice. Always glad to see the authoritarian come out.

And I am sure a tribute to someone you don't agree with, from an administration you don't agree with is just meant with your "Oh well, that's life" mentality?
Yeah right!
edit on 12-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

The mistakes he made, and Bush are large factors. Not in poor choices, but the fact that anyone outside them could not get into high ranking Govt positions, granted clearance levels having made these choices.
It is the basis as to what is wrong with the system. Do as I say, not as I do.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The title of the thread is dumb

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sam_inc

Yes, I agree. The title is misleading, as Common, in fact does not rap about himself killing anyone. He tells the story of someone who did.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Common is beyond the level of most mainstream artist today, he is the true definition of Hip/Hop. Most of the lyrics he recites are about the struggles in everyday life. Resurrection is probably one of my favorite songs.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Oh Gods.. The simple fact that you have "raps about killing cops" (i know it's in the article) lets me know that it's all BS. The article says REPORTEDLY sings about killing cops.

And this is Common, one of the more lyrical of the bunch and smartest. There is nothing wrong here, it would be the same thing as inviting Willi Nelson,

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Yes, I have heard his music and I am not impressed.
He has lyrics that promote violence against police.

If you have heard his music, then could you please list this 'reported' lyric?

Thanks.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This is almost as bad as that time Reagan invited that fugitive from the US Military Mr T. Sure he wasn't actually in the A TEAM, but he played a person who did, and the promotion of those ideals are troubling.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join