It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials Warn Facebook and Twitter Increase Police Vulnerability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Looks like the cops don't like to be watched:

www.foxnews.com...

Wren, the Phoenix detective, worried that such videos add public-perception pressures to police departments and their officers, who could end up being "just a little less effective" as a result.

"When you start worrying about what the perception is, you may second guess that extra second, and that could be an officer safety issue," Wren said.

The quote above is referring to videos of cops that could/do go viral on youtube, facebook, etc. (we've seen quite afew of those just in the past few weeks). Here's my thought: Why would the cop have to second guess himself if he was doing everything right? Answer: He wouldn't.

While I don't agree with criminals surveilling and possibly targeting the family members of cops, I think it's good that cops are finally becoming aware that their actions are being monitored and may have repercussions. And, while there are a few that will hate cops just to hate cops, I think that if the cops would straighten up a bit and start "protecting and serving" the people like they're supposed to, they would have a bit less to worry about. If they would make the public their friend instead of their enemy, life would be better all around.

Yeah, I dream sometimes, but hey!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a criminal and a law breaker
can mean two different things

a habitual offender
and a one time screw up

both groups above
can also carry a badge

if cctv can film us
why cant we film them

in court video can convict
when in the cops hands

when in yours or mine
discredit distort and censor

the truth

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
ill tell you what im sick of... god damn excuses!
every single cop video ive seen theyve used their force excessively
like ive said before on all the other vids, whos to say they arent acting in this manner away from the cameras, to their own family or when they dont have their uniforms on to the general public???
accountability exists in every other occupation other than the police force and politics.
stuff em
let them feel us watching and going over everything they do, they do it to us..
we SHOULD think of them as corrupt as they think of us as criminals and a paycheck.

in all honesty why do they deserve our respect?
cops should try to be more like fire fighters

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Of course cops don't like to be watched!!

I'm a Hillbilly nobody and I sure as hell don't wanna be watched!!!

And I don't have anything to hide, cos I don't do anything!

edit on 5/11/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Reply to post by questcequecest

There always are more excuses than apologies from these people. Even when caught blatantly screwing up we get an excuse not an apology.

Imagine if fire fighters were like cops. Doors being kicked in for toaster checks and kids being slammed to the ground and searched for matches.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by questcequecest

There always are more excuses than apologies from these people. Even when caught blatantly screwing up we get an excuse not an apology.

Imagine if fire fighters were like cops. Doors being kicked in for toaster checks and kids being slammed to the ground and searched for matches.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

i have to agree with you there. i'm glad our Firemen are not paid to carry badges & guns. their collective IQ's would quickly drop to double digit and all our houses would burn to the ground.

thank you Firemen! XXXOOO

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Accountability, it just gets in the way and makes us feel insecure.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
If the police did not abuse their powers, and if the government did not give them orders to, then there would be no problem. I am all for videos of police corruption going viral, they need exposing. They have been getting away with way too much for far too long now. But it really is a shame even with all this evidence, they rarely get prosecuted the same way a civilian would. Which is wrong because at the end of the day, we are all human and should all be treated the same.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
If you don't like it.
Stop registering to the sites, rather than complaining.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
About a week ago, my GF and I were driving to a friend's house. She slowed at the stop sign and didn't use her turn signal. Well, a State Trooper followed us and pulled us over. When asked if she knew why she was pulled over, she was truthful. After the officer checked her record he lets us go. I then exclaimed, "What? No way!" She almost pooped her pants at my reaction. The officer said that she was honest and had no record and he appreciated her honesty. We both thanked him up and down before he sped off to ticket the next guy that went by. Had I video taped that encounter and You Tubed it, would it go viral? Probably not. People would rather harp on the bad cops than give praise to the good ones.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

with good reason. police officers are authority figures. however they are only in authority because we allow it. they are public servants. bad cops need all the negative attention they can get untill they turn into good cops, or get fired. if they don't like the same rules being applied to them, they should find a new job.

join