It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Chrome Pwned by VUPEN aka Sandbox/ASLR/DEP Bypass

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yes, thanks for the catch of the day! I too have an older machine, and chromium is too slow on it. Firefox is a little faster, but I use Seamonkey 90% of the time because it's way faster on my setup. I used to use K-meleon a lot because it's the fastest I've ever seen, but I worried too much about vulnerabilities. Opera was decent too, but my God, they used to track me too much. Not that I'm doing any hacking (definitely above my head), I just prefer my privacy. Any vulnerability issues with Seamonkey that anyone knows about? (by the way, I'm using XP).

My Avast antivirus opens some programs I'm downloading in it's own sandbox, would that prevent the attack?
edit on 5/11/2011 by visualmiscreant because: Added question about Avast sandbox

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm kinda of a tinkerer with computers. Pretty much self-taught everything. But let me ask you all a question. I'm hoping I can trust everyone here to be honest.

I ran into a problem with Chrome not loading web-pages last week. Looked it up and found a solution was to either uncheck "Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance" (found in Options). Or (the solution that most people found to work) was to use NO sandbox. Can someone explain exactly what that means?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocDoyle
I'm kinda of a tinkerer with computers. Pretty much self-taught everything. But let me ask you all a question. I'm hoping I can trust everyone here to be honest.

I ran into a problem with Chrome not loading web-pages last week. Looked it up and found a solution was to either uncheck "Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance" (found in Options). Or (the solution that most people found to work) was to use NO sandbox. Can someone explain exactly what that means?

Hi Doc,
This may answer your question..

please do not use the --no-sandbox option. This option disables the low-privilege sandbox for showing web pages, which leaves your computer more vulnerable to flaws or security exploits on those pages. It is intended for testing purposes only. It's very important that Google Chrome is not run without the sandbox, because of the inherent security vulnerabilities in that mode. We're working very hard to fix the issues some of you are seeing, but in the meantime, please don't use the --no-sandbox option. groups.google.com...

and here you can read more about what a "sandbox" is..
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Hey, I'm really not sure..
I haven't used any kind of virus "protection" (other than Linux) for almost 2 years.
Sorry mate.,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join