It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Aircraft in the Soviets's Inventory

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
emile....
This might be of interest?

For instance, in 1992, representatives of Task Force Russia (the predecessor of JCSD) discovered an F-111 crew capsule at the Moscow Aviation Institute. With assistance from FBI experts, Task Force Russia analysts correlated the capsule to a specific shoot down incident. The U.S. side has raised this issue several times and continues to press for more information on the "spetsgruppa" and its members. In addition, the Russian side has agreed to try to locate museums and technical institutes where U.S. equipment might be displayed or stored, and, where possible, arrange meetings with technicians who might know how the equipment was acquired and how it was transported to the USSR.

Vietnam War Working Group

seekerof

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I'm suspicous of the incident in which the Chinese fighter collided with our plane. Its perfect, it looks like an accident, the plane is still reletivly intact, and it has no were to land except China. And seeing as China obviously has an interest in pirating aircraft designs it seems a bit suspicious. Now about that airbus, me I think that it might have been highjacked. That or it was carrying some important cargo.

No doubt. They have stolen or purchased numberous arms and duplicated them over and over. Thier whole military is practicaly built on this philosophy. The collison between the P-3 and the J-7 may not have been an accident as you suspected.

Might I add that its not easy to damage a plane "just" right so that it would have to land forcibly... Thats extremely tough you know..

One might end up destroying both planes and infact thats what happened.. The chinese fighter lost control and plunged towards the sea.. pilot died..No SAR for him.. If it was planned then the are below would have had SAR teams just in case either (or both) planes crashed..

And Chinese pilots are not "known" for their flight skills so to say..
IMHO its just a buzzing gone wrong..

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Was it a P-3 ? ...if so i cant believe they called it a "top secret spy plane".

China would have alredy got their hands on the Pakistani P-3's just like they borrowed an F-16 from Pakistan to reverse engineer it.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Not a P-3 Orion... An EP-3 Aries II electronics warfare plane based on the P-3-Orion-type platform.

www.fas.org...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Element
Not a P-3 Orion... An EP-3 Aries II electronics warfare plane based on the P-3-Orion-type platform.

www.fas.org...

Thanks. But what's so top secret about it ?? How can it be called a spy plane ??

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It can more or less listen to every bandwith communication, from FM to LW, intercept radar emissions, telemetrate any emission to a concrete distance (gonio or triangulate), mirror any radar emission (maybe not a SPY-1 SPG-1 Aegis class radar, though
)and aswell transports jammers. Not secret. But indiscrete

EP-3 are mainly maritime patrol aircraft.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
the Chinese pilot lost control ebcause he was flying too cose to the P3... the J8 which already was known for poor low speed performance was further effected by the wingtip vortices of the larger P3.

The pilot was pushing it as it was... an accident in those circumstances was just a matter of time... I highly doubt the pilot killed himself on purpose.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
While Russia may have a small collection of US equipment the United States has hundreds of Russian armoured vehicles and several different models of Migs and Mi helicopters. Many of the Soviet armour pieces were destroyed in A-10 testing in the 70s though.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Here's a video of that J-8II - EP3 collision
www.china-military.org...
As you can see the pilots on the EP3 were commenting on how the J-8II was having problems trying to maintain airspeed even after lowering the flaps. It has low aspect wings, good for high speed interceptor roles, bad control at low speeds.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
God this is one of the worse game those pilots play lol! Dont ask me why they come so close... Quite risky to stick together a 300mph two planes without radio contact, its not like in-flight refuelling... This wasn't fun at all.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Do you believe that J-8 crashed down the P-3 several yers ago in order to get some technology of electronics from P-3's equipment?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Good thread bump!

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
wow that was too close.. great find taishyou!

Btw did anybody decipher what the J-8 pilot was trying to say/do when he appeared in the beginning? He was waving his arms or something..

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
You know that theory might be true

- I might also just be as likely to be a total crock for the 'true believers' out there who can never imagine their gov act as anything other than a total white knight always on the side of righteousness and good

before the US bombs a target they have to study it and take picks and do all sort of stuff to determine the angel of the PMG to hit and all sort of things.

- Kind of like the vast amount of study and tracking they told us they'd done prior to Iraq........and how when they got there they knew where everything was hidden (unlike those soft civillian and supposedly so easily fooled, mostly foreign anyway, leftist? - maybe a bit "un-American and gay"? - , UN inspectors, right?
) ?!

The USAF couldn't do all of this from a map that need up to date photos and other stuff so im guessing the bombing was deliberate.

- Yeah, I'm guessing it could just as easily be a case of a gung-ho loon or a simple malfunction in intel (who's going to admit to identifying and bombing the wrong building.....wait a minute, they did.) or a simple genuine mistake.

Still, I guess this is a conspiracy site.

As for western aircraft in Russia?
It's not such a big deal and totally to be expected IMO.
I'm sure there are at least more than a few.
They sold over 5000 Phantoms so I'm sure several of such a major type in western AF's ended up there (just as we got Mig 21/23's in large numbers) .
There have been enough F16's sold around the world now for a few to be there by now I'd imagine too.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Do you believe that J-8 crashed down the P-3 several yers ago in order to get some technology of electronics from P-3's equipment?

No, the pilot would have no way of knowing the effect of his plane hitting the P3... it could have destroyed both aircraft and I don't think he would have wanted to take the chance.
Under wartime circumstances it is more probable... but I pilot will not give up his life in general if he is not fighting for something.

I read anyhow that he was trying to communicate with P3 pilots... It makes no sense to think he would simply kill himself afterwards

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Btw did anybody decipher what the J-8 pilot was trying to say/do when he appeared in the beginning? He was waving his arms or something..

Most likely he was telling them to move further away from Chinese airspace. That's probably why those jets were sent there anyway.

Or maybe he was just saying "hi."

Found some more details
www.janes.com...
They were both flying at 180 knots, very low speed. The J-8II was nearly stalling. The J-8II pilot then miscalculated his pass (I guess pass under the EP-3 and to its starboard side) and banked left (trying to slow down the pass?), then the wing of the plane hit the EP-3's no.1 propeller.

This is the pilot
www.people.com.cn...
Don't bother babel fishing it, it turns up really messed up. His named ended up translating into "the king was great"

Some sources say he's sort of a hot shot, he even held up his e-mail address to the cockpit.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This isn't a plane but I find it pretty intersting
The Soviet/Russian AA-2 Atoll missile was a copy of the AIM-9B Sidewinder. In 1958 a Taiwanese F-86 launched an AIM-9B at a PLAAF MiG-17, but the missile lodged in the MiG-17 without exploding. One hell of a lucky pilot. The plane landed and they took the missile out then transported it to Toropov for reverse engineering.

www.globalsecurity.org...

[edit on 26-5-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
well taishyou we know that incident wasn't on purpose....

That poor mig pilot prolly still has nightmares about that. He also shouldn't play blackjack anytime soon cause he done used all the luck he is gonna get right there.

As far as russians having our hardware and us having theirs.... yeah both sides have a grip of stuff. Alot of horse trading and back room deals went on during the whole proxy wars/cold war era. and at the end we traded more stuff to each other, from what i understand. I know the russians gave us a destroyer with some unique characteristics at least but I would assume more changed hands in both directions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join