It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California DoT Nixes Public Display of American Flag, Calls it “Impermissible Public Expression”

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by Liquesence

It's the principle involved in allowing other flags (or signs or banners) to be flown if someone should so desire.

Yeah? So? Exactly which other groups have petitioned to fly their flag?

I have no idea. As far as i know, none.

Keyword: IF. If they allow they flag to be flown they also have to allow other things to be flown/displayed; they do not want other things to be flown/displayed because it's not a public forum, therefore they prohibit the flag to be flown.

Plus, this post:

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
is anyone gonna actually read the link?? come on...

The concern that we have in this situation is that, whether a flag hanging on a bridge [not OTORA’s proposal], or a monument placed within a park and ride lot [the proposal], we would be placed in a position of having to permit all forms of expression as encroachments in the right of way if we were to allow yours. As such, the department has determined that the state highway system is not a forum for public expression except as expressly allowed.

the department has determined that the state highway system is not a forum for public expression

So they don't want to allow people putting up all sorts of things on the state highway system...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Californians should all drive out on the highways. stop their their cars in the middle and walk around waving American flags until they reverse this absurd ruling.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Its at a memorial for American soldiers.

The memorial is a America. Last time I looked California was still an American state - whether they like it or not.

America has a national flag.

Therefore the American flag should be just fine to fly there.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

many people here would agree to this because so many are anti-symbols. A couple of days ago I was reading two people disscussing weather flying the confederate flag was write or wrong. Now it looks like California is now deciding showing any symbols is wrong.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

It's the principle involved in allowing other flags (or signs or banners) to be flown if someone should so desire.

Yeah? So? Exactly which other groups have petitioned to fly their flag?

I have no idea. As far as i know, none.

Keyword: IF. If they allow they flag to be flown they also have to allow other things to be flown/displayed; they do not want other things to be flown/displayed because it's not a public forum, therefore they prohibit the flag to be flown.

Plus, this post:

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
is anyone gonna actually read the link?? come on...

The concern that we have in this situation is that, whether a flag hanging on a bridge [not OTORA’s proposal], or a monument placed within a park and ride lot [the proposal], we would be placed in a position of having to permit all forms of expression as encroachments in the right of way if we were to allow yours. As such, the department has determined that the state highway system is not a forum for public expression except as expressly allowed.

the department has determined that the state highway system is not a forum for public expression

So they don't want to allow people putting up all sorts of things on the state highway system...

The panel has the authority to manage and control the public lands on and around the highway system, as evidenced by this:

As such, the department has determined that the state highway system is not a forum for public expression except as expressly allowed..

Emphasis mine.

ETA: The way they handled the case made their decision out to be completely arbitrary. They should have approved the flag soley on the grounds that the intent of the memorial was to honor American troops. Nowhere was it petitioned to exclude any other group, either.

I contend that if La Raza or a muslim group were to petition to fly their own flag at the site, they would be granted permission in a NY minute.

The second post was made by someone unclear on the concept, and has been thoroughly debunked already.
edit on 11-5-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
there is a great game going on here for the minds of everyone, and it makes me sick, these nut jobs are really showing their cards now

people want to hate this country so much, hate the ones in charge, its THEIR FAULT not America or it's flag

I am so tired of this lets blame inanimate objects, the greatest trick these politicians are getting away with is this grey area crap, its cut and dry black and white, there is no grey area, the politicians are tarring this country apart and blaming us while asking for sympathy

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Maybe CalTrans understands that the US flag is a creepy Masonic design like us ATSers.

We should petition for a new flag.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Amy Courtney, 28, and Cassandra Brown, 33, draped banners on state Highway 17 overpasses in Scotts Valley. One asked “Are you buying this war?” The other, a mile away, asked “At what cost?” Their signs were removed, but an American flag somebody else posted was left.

from the source provided by Liquesence on pg 2

Other links here and here for timely local info.

The private project wanted to be built on public land (no cost of land vs cost of private land), which would have been the highway right-of-way. Apparently, the 30 foot diameter monument could still be built without the 60 ft flagpole. The monument's flag fell under "expressive activity".

California still has many lovely stretches of highway dedicated to service personnel, law enforcement, etal. list.

There still is plenty of freedom to fly flags here. I've seen the Nazi flag flown here on private property, but most flags flown here are undoubtedly American. My town displayed many American flags when OBL was finally killed.

If the good citizens of Orcutt really want to avoid any hassles and place the monument in a great place (though no doubt as attention getting as in the right of way), then one of the parcel holders nearby could donate a portion of their land for the monument.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is absolutely ludicrous. Someone should go have their car painted as the American Flag. If my state every tried to enact this garbage I would burn the damn capitol building to the ground. I'm going to fly my damn flag proudly, because I am a proud American. Others should have the right to do the same.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap

Maybe CalTrans understands that the US flag is a creepy Masonic design like us ATSers.

We should petition for a new flag.

Wheres your proof to back that statement up? I've never heard of that before.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sorry my state is retarded.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They did the same in the UK years ago - it's all part of the Globalisation Agenda - "All One People" individuality to be phased out.
"

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

this pissy me off thousands of people died for this country under the red white and blue flag and if the dumb asses in california dont like it then there are other countrys they can move to and if they dont vote them out or they can go to hell sorry everyone for the words but it just not sitting good with me on this

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
This is absolutely ludicrous. Someone should go have their car painted as the American Flag.

We beat you to it. Someone in California already did that. Go to this link to see a car painted like the American Flag in California.

Proud American Flag Car in California

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert

Originally posted by Irish614
This is absolutely ludicrous. Someone should go have their car painted as the American Flag.

We beat you to it. Someone in California already did that. Go to this link to see a car painted like the American Flag in California.

Proud American Flag Car in California

That is awesome!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

"Its the friggin AMERICAN FLAG, the flag thats flown at every battle weve ever fought, the flag that men have been wrapped up in on their way home to be buried.........The flag that countrymen and women looked to as a sign of hope......of sacrifice......and for strength...... NOT a cross, star of david, or nativity scene.......... Full STOP "

Symbolism.. yawn.. 'patriotism'.. vomit

It's a colored piece of cloth, worshiping it like it's prophet Mohammed reeks of silly fanaticism..

..and btw, wtf are any of you to tell strangers who live in a town you'll never go to, how they should live?.. or suggest which piece of cloth is proper to jerk-off about?.. seriously, as a Cali resident.. f off and mind your own business, eh?.. we'll smoke pot, have fun, and scrub away nationalistic brain washing if we want to, ok?.. you can go pray for us, swing a dead chicken over your head to save our souls, or partake in whatever ever voodoo floats your boat..

You do your bumpkin nationalism voodoo, we'll do our think for ourselves voodoo.. to each his own, variety is the spice of life.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

Glad you liked it!

reply to post by GovtFlu

...."to each his own, variety is the spice of life".....that could be the state motto here...

CA is a large state in area, population, diversity. Some families have been here for many generations, some a generation away from the Dust Bowl or Laos. Some came to find fortune or just eke out a living. Some said good-bye to relatives in other parts of the US, to boldly go where no family member had gone before (especially service members after WW2).

To live in CA means that someone in the family dared to be different, to seek elsewhere. Maybe it's in our blood to be different, and to get along means we have to live and let live. When it comes to using the variety and large amount of public land, we've had to come up with ways to co-exist. And sometimes we've had to create rules.

If anyone is still interested, the Tallest Flagpole west of the Mississippi is in Dorris CA. Another fun photo on this page. And south of Orcutt is Buellton (watch slide show for Avenue of the Flags and statues of children saluting the flag) Another pix

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

reply to post by negativenihil

Originally posted by 31Bravo
How can we be told that flying the U.S. flag is inappropriate during a funeral of a service member.

But see - we're not being told this. We're being told that it's inappropriate to fly the flag from highway signs and overpasses.

sigh.

No, we're not being told that at all. Please read the article carefully.:shk:

Here in NH, there are many flags and signs welcoming our troops home, or wishing for the safe return of a loved son, brother, or whatever, on highway overpasses. NOBODY has ever complained, and people actually clean up after themselves. Maybe it has to do with our spirit and state logo, "Live Free or Die"!

I can read just fine.. you and the other that replied are right, BUT.. we're not physically being told anything.. it's all subliminal. Not being able to put a picture of the flag up in a school in fear it would offend Jahova's Witness, or at a funeral doesn't matter.. that is saying to me that I'm not able to represent my patriotism.
edit on 18-5-2011 by 31Bravo because: just because

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This boggles my mind. Only in California could madness like this happen.. The Dept. of Transportation in that state nixed the display of the American flag at a memorial dedicated to our servicemen and the military. The panel that made the decision demanded "viewpoint neutrality". What the hell is that, and how can you detect and enforce it???

Can someone please tell me what world we live in when we cannot erect our own American flag because it might upset some people?

In the town of Orcutt, California, thousands of dollars in donations have been gathered to create a monument to fallen soldiers and the branches of our military. The memorial would go between "a highway exit and a park-and-ride lot;" a pole would rise out of the center and display the American flag.

The California Department of Transportation was okay with the plan... that is, until it was revealed that our nation's flag would be flying. When CalTrans heard, they stymied the effort, declaring the display of an American flag an "impermissible act of “public expression.”"

The panel that ruled that the American flag could not be displayed demanded "viewpoint neutrality" at the monument. In other words, they declared it illegal to solely fly the US flag, stating that other flags must also have the right to be flown at the memorial, be it "the British flag, the Nazi flag, or the Jolly Rogers."

punditpress.blogspot.com...

This is Soviet-style fascism. Pure and simple.

Limiting public expression? What?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join