It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skype users beware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Microsoft agreed to buy Skype for almost 9 billions.
finance.fortune.cnn.com...

As a Skype user I really deplore this news.

Have you wondered why the Chinese and other governments are dumping Windows? Because they don't trust the company and believe Microsoft products have backdoors and access to whatever 3 letter organization working for the US government. Microsoft went as far as allowing its xbox kinect to spy on its users!

So this seals the deal for me, goodbye Skype!
If any of you know a safe alternative, I am open to suggestions.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
oovoo!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Goodbye soundboard pranks... It was fun while it lasted

Sorry to say there is no true alternative to skype. There's thousands of other voip services out there, but none of them even come close to skype.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ya...I have to say I'll be ditching Skype as well now.

That' bites too. Skype is a great program. I guess I'm just going to ditch Windows completely and buy
a Mac next time.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You know this may sound insane, but Skype really is too good to be free. I started using it about a year ago, and can honestly say it is the most useful piece of software I have installed. Aside from the video chat, it is an amazing VOIP, and the screensharing isnt quite as good as teamviewer, but it has improved.

I think Microsoft will make a fortune off of this deal especially since Apple will have to buy rights to use it in their phones.

I know I am not speaking for myself when I say that I would be more than willing to pay for skype as a monthly service, because I often use it instead of my cell phone minutes to save minutes,

Good move Microsoft!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I would suggest NOT upgrading any version of skype you currently use, this will likly prevent spying and such for some time at least till Microsoft decides to change the service

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainKing098
oovoo!

Yup, I use oovoo and so far, no red flags.

up.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't pay for Skype or any other free voip. As for spying, its already being done by regular as well as cell phones all over this world. Sorry but I really don't need to be in touch with someone all day long. Get a life and get off the phone.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I just recently purchased the Skype app on my Android smartphone and pay the 2.99 a month for unlimited US/Canada calling because my phone's internal mobile antenna doesn't work in my apartment or many places inside. I find it a cheap solution to my cell phone's antenna problem and I hope that Microsoft doesn't screw up an already good thing.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
If you are worried about spying why are you on the internet in the first place? Do you have a cell phone, debit/credit card, land line telephone or cable tv? Do your friends have any of these things? If you answered yes to any part of those questions you are already being tracked and collated into some database somewhere. This idea of "privacy" that folks keep going on about is D_E_A_D and has been for some time now. Really what are you guys so worried about that you would delete Skype but still post to a publicly accessible forum?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I like Skype and will continue to use it unless there are drastic changes made. I mean hell, no matter what you do you are at risk of being "spied" on.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to sensationalize this news and post it here.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Ha HA Ha!

China is dumping MS because MS is blatantly calling out their piracy.

I love that you use China as your bar for morality.

Lead in toys, poison in milk, genocide against falun gong.

Good stuff

BTW, no internet traffic is secure on a military designed internet.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I stand firmly corrected about being concerned about the privacy of your skype calls, it appears that the encryption that they use to secure communications has been compromised. Not a surprise but this certainly would make me reconsider discussing anything of importance across Skype now.

top topics

join