It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Softball Sized Hail Falling in SC Right Now (night, May 10, 2011)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The damaging effects of large hail is underappreciated. It causes massive damage to property and can even kill. Golfball-sized hail is unusual, baseball sized is very rare...but softball sized? I have never heard of such large hail in my 47 years and it is coming down right now in South Carolina.

Softball sized hail reported 15 miles west of Georgetown SC, in the tornadic storm noted above in update 11.

www.dailykos.com... 4854/-Softball-Sized-Hail-Possible-in-NCSC-TodayUpdatedx12

(I know some of you might recoil from a DailyKos source, but the blogger of this article only makes weather posts and he is very good.)

In any event, softball sized hail can go through your home's roof and kill you.

According to this article: www.stltoday.com... it has only been reported 23 times since 1950.

Just more weather weirdness. I live in FL and I'm expecting a long and ugly hurricane season.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

I got caught in a hailstorm in Munich Germany many years ago.
Golf ball sized at that.

And let me tell you it created chaos! Cars were damaged, windows broke and people were injured.
I can't begin to imagine softball sized hail and the damage it could do to someone!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It's supposed to be coming our way. I have my camera at the ready in case it does.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
That is really really scary.

Please take care.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So is there any severe weather phenomenon that isn't going to happen in the States this year ?? Hopefully the hurricane season will be a quiet one.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Be safe. Sure would be great to get video. I'd love to hear what that sounds like pounding a roof.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13star
So is there any severe weather phenomenon that isn't going to happen in the States this year ?? Hopefully the hurricane season will be a quiet one.

One can only hope, but it ramps up every 3 years and we are on the 3rd now. Everyone seems to agree it's going to be a nasty year.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Baseball-Softball Massive hail hit Central Kentucky a few hours ago

I saw it on the news... Lex18

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Before my father became a pastor he owned and operated a number of auto body shops in Texas. Texas is notorious for HUGE hail....yes, softball size. Been witness to it a countless times. As you can imagine, he absolutely loved the hail

Hope your vehicles are safe!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Before my father became a pastor he owned and operated a number of auto body shops in Texas. Texas is notorious for HUGE hail....yes, softball size. Been witness to it a countless times. As you can imagine, he absolutely loved the hail Hope your vehicles are safe!

I'll give you a star for your father!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
My camera is ready. It might come our way. We are getting thunder in the distance, right now. (Charleston)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I couldve swore I read football sized lol. But seriously yes softball sized is pretty rare, but it happens every couple of years here in my neck of the woods. About 4 years ago we had some hail that was apocalyptic in size. It was somewhere in between softball and I'd say soccer ball in size. One hailstone went through a friend of mine's barn, which mind you is decently thick steel, and then continued through the roof of his semi truck and was sitting on the drivers seat.

So yes it is rare, but not unheard of nor record breaking.

new topics

top topics

join