It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You One of 23,000 Defendants in the US' Biggest Illegal Download Lawsuit?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Soloist

I would quote you like you did me, but I really don't have the time. If you were making out like a bandit, then you wouldn't be complaining, would you? The rich fatcats are still making all the money. The producers, who sick lawyers on downloaders, and sue them for 1000%.

And to all your rape charges, no. Maybe you are getting raped by them, but I am not. I have freed myself from those parasites, I hope one day you will too.

As for the next paragraph, you pegged me one out of however many you listed. I have a computer. What you may not know, is that companies that hire illegal immigrants, drove honest people out of business. People unluckeir than me are now living in tents. I had a house that I inherited to fall back on, I am one of the lucky ones.

I pay for 1/1000, because that is all that is worthy of getting my money. The rest suck, and I don't care if they go out of business. They deserve to for putting out crap.

I really don't care who is offering it to me. People that bought a ticket, people that bought a CD, peple that bought a DVD, basic cable, radio. It is all the same to me. Doesn't make a difference where I get to screen it for free.

Sorry but I don't buy the whole "it's the poor people" statement.

You only steal it because you can. One day this will not be an option, so I guess you will have to suffer and do without, or pay your fair share like most people with morals.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

Yeah and I will do without if that is that case. It won't be anytime soon though, because like I said, the US don't run the world, as much as they would like to. I stole nothing, I don't know why you keep claiming it. Goodnight, have a great weekend.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Soloist

Yeah and I will do without if that is that case. It won't be anytime soon though, because like I said, the US don't run the world, as much as they would like to. I stole nothing, I don't know why you keep claiming it. Goodnight, have a great weekend.

Yeah yeah I know, you want to steal from the hard working people in the US, but blame us for your troubles while doing so.

Transparent BS yet again. I'm not claiming you stole anything, you ADMITTED it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Help me understand this 1 in 1000 number, if you would, please. I love music; specifically -- early 70's glam and proto-punk, or what used to be called "garage" music, in particular. I also love old school metal -- with two guitar attack -- and late 70's and early 80's "new wave." I don't -- in general -- care for modern country music, or modern gangsta rap, though I adore Hank Williams 1, Johnny Cash, Ice-T, and the Beatsie Boys.

In a nutshell -- I dont go out of my way to even "try" most music, because I know it "isn't my thing." So, when I try something, I tend to try things based on the recommendations of people I trust, or based on something I heard using the genius feature of iTunes, or a service like Pandora. I am under no illusions that my tastes aren't fairly specific. I wouldn't "try" Three Doors Down, or Nickleback, because I think that most modern rock is garbage, especially pop music created from elements of 90' rock and grunge, which I was thoroughly bored with before it even began.

All of this excessive monologuing brings me to my true point: When I "screen" something, there is a fairly goo0d chance that it is at least compatible with my "tastes." Therefore -- I find at least half of it to my taste enough to purchase it through traditional means.

Can you please explain to me the process by which you download 1000 songs to find 1 you like enough to purchase? Are you simply downloading everything you can get your hands on, in the hopes of finding something that trips your trigger? How does that work, exactly?

I have tried to turn several friends on to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Perhaps 1 in 3 "likes" it enough to make a purchase, or continue listening. That's fair enough. But to say that it is garbage because 2 out of 3 people aren't turned on by it seems like an unfair and overly simplistic analysis. Surely you recognize that your "like" or "dislike" for a particular artist is a purely subjective analysis based on your own tastes?

If I am willing to concede that what you advocate here is NOT stealing, can you at least agree that your subjective analysis of a particular artists music is nothing more then your preferences in action? I wouldn't claim that Lady Gaga had no value simply because I prefer Prince, but I wouldn't buy it or bother downloading and listening to it either.

Thank you for your time!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

The 1/1000 is a cartoon, a caricature. It includes everything, movies, music, and programs. It would probably be more accurate if I was still into playing videogames. I was just trying to emphasize that in the whole mainstream river of crap these days, there is a diamond in the ruff.

In the past 10 years, everything entertainment I have bought was due to me screening it first. I would not know of half the bands I do now it it wasn't for downloading.

I listened to the song in your sig BTW, it wasn't too bad, although I prefer more hardcore type music mostly. I listen to classical sometimes, reality rap sometimes, and country once in a while, but my main preference is mosh pit generating music. People like you, I would be more likely to buy from. I have spent plenty at local shows, and even shows like ozzfest and the like.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

You know what, right now I don't care... Go # yourself, I have told you again, and again, and again, What I do is not illegal where I live. It is not stealing here, it is taking what is online. And I will continue to do so while I can. Artists that are decent will get my money, while I can preview their work. When I cannot do so, then they will get none of my money at all, I can entertain myself.

Man I wish I knew what projects you worked on, I would not contribute to anything with your name attached ever, just because you are a jerk. Maybe you are part of metallica, and that is your problem

edit on Fri, 13 May 2011 17:49:54 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

First of all -- I do appreciate the compliment, though I wasn't necessarily fishing for one. Thank you.

Second of all -- thank you for clearing that up for me. I was just astounded that you would bother to download so much, but if its hyperbole, it makes a lot more sense.

I will freely admit that I am an old fashioned guy, I like owning the physical album, playing with the inserts and art / linear notes and so forth. I am just honestly trying to understand the rationale behind the downloading, and you have helped shine a light on it for me.

I offer these words with as little judgement as I can muster. I will henceforth NOT refer to file-sharing as "stealing" and I thank you for your honest response, regardless of what you think of me or my favorite things. That is less important to me then your honest love of the media you DO enjoy, for whatever its worth.

Perhaps guys like myself and a few others in this thread, can learn something from your rationale that will help us reach our audience -- big or small. For that I owe you a debt of thanks.

EDIT: Frankly -- what you are describing (try before you buy) is much akin to what I do with TV shows. I only watch a handful, and I generally skip the commercials where possible. If I like it enough, I buy the DVD's where possible, because I like to take a day now and then and just watch the "Venture Brothers" or old school Star Trek or whatever. Thanks again for your honest reply.
edit on 13-5-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Two bands I support now, that you might have heard of, Blue October, and Sick Puppies, I would have never have even heard had it not been for downloading. I could name a bunch more, from rap, to country, but those two seem similar to your style you might know them. I only knew them because I found them online. Same with a lot of indy type movies I have supported. I don't like many hollywood type movies at all, but there are a whole lot of INDY movies I downloaded then found a way to support it.

My intention was never to rip anyone off, but to pay people I think make good stuff, and make sure people that make bad stuff don't get in my wallet.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Cool -- I will check them out, based on your recommendation. Thanks again!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

My favorite sick puppies song

my favorite blue october song

Both albums I bought, and well worth it. Diamonds in the ruff. Enjoy.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Holy wow. I love the Blue October song. I clicked them first because I like the name (shallow I know). Listening to more now on youtube. I love the voice and the melodies. Good stuff!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Glad to pass on a great band to a fellow music lover. That song was what made me rush and buy the whole thing. I saw sick puppies live, never had the pleasure to see blue october yet.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloist

You only steal it because you can. One day this will not be an option, so I guess you will have to suffer and do without, or pay your fair share like most people with morals.

Oh My........Moral Police. I find it humorous that you can defend those,who make a boatload of money, but are doing NOTHING to help the ills of the world.Bottom line, its greed. But those who have these so called "higher then those" morals,find it easy to point the finger. Nobody is dying,because of downloading.Nobody is going hungry,cause of downloading. If you are making money off downloading,then I could see your point. But if its just to watch a movie,a thought process,a visual thing,that wont be remembered in details,10 years from now,I see no harm in it. Whats next,hacking off the hands of those who download,cause they used their fingers? Personally,I pay for many things,from Netflix,to Itunes,PS3 Games,etc... But to be all high and mighty,using this whole"moral" premise,takes the cake. I am 100% sure everyone in this world has lied,once in their life. Should we put those who have, in jail,or fine them,for this? Its a crappy movie,for God's sake........

Coincidentally,Your avatar is ironic. SOMEONE Paid for that billboard,and someone put graffiti on it. Are you saying that its alright to ruin someone elses intellectual property,with someone elses thought or idea? Think about it.
edit on 13-5-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Soloist

No thanks, as long as your fellow countrymen keep up their civil disobedience by uploading stuff to the internet, I will keep right on downloading it. The US cannot touch me, I am not living in some third world country with no real military, your country won't be bombing us anytime soon.

BTW I never claimed I hate the US, just the damn government. Was the same when I lived there too.
edit on Fri, 13 May 2011 15:05:31 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Good post i gave you a star,

I support the right to download and to upload, edit videos, music.

and i also believe in viewing free comics, mangas, shouldn't be stopped, because if you do stop them it will only hurt your businessmen of getting noticed by westerns readers.

After all youtube was founded on by uploading, and downloading, yet sadly corporations took over youtube and installed those useless copyright embedded warnings, the most annoying part of todays youtube is that they also installed an audio blocker.

If you have a licensed song on your video, it wont get banned or deleted but the audio will be removed.

So how is the user stealing from the creator? music,movie corporations only care for one thing and thats money.

They claim that the users are hurting the creators, but at the same time, these creators of either music, or movie industry are already millionaires.

The only ones crying foul are the corporations, RIAA, because in the 90s the RIAA, and the corporations already had the money, so how did they lose all there money? i guess they must have spented all that money on junk.

Thats why until the early 2000s the RIAA,Government,industry started blaming the users as a evil thieves who only want to bring the music industry.

Music & movie corporations should be blaming themselves for the loss of money, not blaming on the innocent users who download for free.

Not everyone has jobs or money to buy huge collections of music cds,dvds.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
reply to post by alphabetaone

you. because you said 20 something pages ago that it is "Stealing".

even the law refers to it as "infringement" and gives it its own charge.

this whole time ive been trying to get you to acknowledge that there is a difference. even gave you a real world example of its relevance...which was ignored of course.

Don't be willfully ignorant to serve your cause. What's the point of copyright infringement if not to steal? In the case of duplicated COPYRIGHTED material with no authorization, there is no distinction. Why should I concede to you making the distinction when it's for the same purpose? That's just sheer stupidity and deflection on your part and I won't let you play that game.

Its not for you to accept the distinction, you have to accept the fact THAT THE LAW DOES ACCEPT A DISTINCTION BETYWEEN THEFT AND COPYRIGHT VIOLATION.

The fact the law does not define downloading as THEFT, means you cannot call it stealing.

Its a 'crime' based solely on violating copyright law - a law imposed on society by corporations lobbying politicians to pass laws to protect their financial interests.

As for the issue of why people download - they may do so for a myriad reasons ;

1) Political reasons - to say up yours to the corporate fascist state, to undermine the power of the corporations,

2) cultural reasons - to allow poor people access to contemporary culture that otherwise they would be deined due to their poverty. The rich using the law to make them richer whilst leaving the poor in cultural poverty is cultural apartheid. If it could be shown that most downloaders were black and poor, then you can bet the law would regard downloading as a civil rights issue not a legal issue.

3) social reasons - to assist the poor and disabled who are denied access to contemporary culture due to poverty.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Thank you friend. Us trademark and song copyright owners applaude your support.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by PsykoOps

Thank you friend. Us trademark and song copyright owners applaude your support.

Yes, the rich and greedy thank the gullible and stupid.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Do you people want to know what truly stupid is - and you support this stupid law all you copyright nazis ;

In the UK if you rip a copy of YOUR OWN LEGALLY BOUGHT AND OWNED DVD onto your own laptop or your own Ipod to listen too, then you are in breach of the UK copyright laws.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Thats the law the copyright nazis want to protect and extend.

Idiots.
edit on 14-5-2011 by leejohnbarnes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I pay for a subscription service to listen to the ones I don't own, and any that I actually have on my computer, I've purchased. The only albums I download are ones that are out of print and I physically cannot purchase.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by krizy4u86
I pay for a subscription service to listen to the ones I don't own, and any that I actually have on my computer, I've purchased. The only albums I download are ones that are out of print and I physically cannot purchase.

Then in the UK you have broken the copyright laws.

By buying a CD and putting it on your own computer you are now a ' criminal' according to the copyright nazis.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28 >>

join