It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You One of 23,000 Defendants in the US' Biggest Illegal Download Lawsuit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Are You One of 23,000 Defendants in the US' Biggest Illegal Download Lawsuit?

techland.time.com

Did you illegally download a copy of The Expendables, Sylvester Stallone's old-school macho get-together fight-fest from last year? If so, watch your inbox: You're likely one of the more than 23,000 file sharers being sued for doing so by the US Copyright Group in what is now the largest BitTorrent downloading case in US legal history.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com
www.wired.com

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
torrentfreak.com...
IP-Address Is Not a Person, BitTorrent Case Judge Says

This is gonna be big... How can one sue more than 23.000 people, based on IP's? Since when can you identify a person by fishing their IP? IP activity is NOT a sure way of finding a persons identity since anyone could use your IP to do anything he or she wishes on the net. Without further evidence, I think it is going to be very hard to win this lawsuit for the multi million dollar companies... As long as the judge is not corrupt of course.

Here is the list with all IP's untill now.
www.wired.com...

IT--

techland.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-5-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

+41 more 
posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
They are just trying to scare people into not downloading stuff anymore.
This is a legal nightmare that will take a hundred years to try correctly.

The producers are probably just pissed off about how a movie that had so many stars could end up being a pile of stinking bs in the end!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I did Ctrl+F for my IP

I'm safe

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

The flip side to the coin though is how the appeals will go for the IP ruling. If that goes through the FEderal appeals and is overturned, the lawsuit against the 23k will go forward.

Definitely a roll of the dice...

Out of curiosity, who thinks the people who donwload illegally should get a pass and why? I have seen people on here argue that sharing software / music / movies / etc should be outside the law. Just curious where peoples mindset comes in that its ok to steal.

+23 more 
link   
If someone downloads a Sylvester Stallone movie, they deserve what they have coming to them. So many other choices. lol.

edit on 10-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by zDecoy
I did Ctrl+F for my IP

I'm safe

That didnt work for some of the people working under the name anonymous during the denial of service attacks to avenge wikileaks.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What a bunch of douches.

If they would have got Segal & Van Damme in it to then I would have considered downloading it.

Not to mention no Chuck Norris

I guess they were expendable!

+125 more 
posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

duplicating is not stealing.

when i steal something from you, you no longer have it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm not on that list, so that's good.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just download tor vidali or peer guardian...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
you and ats will never know

for all i know is that this thread is a mpaa plant gathering information for the lawsuits!

so nope my lips are sealed.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What if someone owned a legal dvd of the expendables and downloaded it for a digital copy?That doesn't make them a thief does it? I though that was legal.What a horrible travesty of a movie anyway.
edit on 10-5-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thatonedude
What if someone owned a legal dvd of the expendables and downloaded it for a digital copy?That doesn't make them a thief does it? I though that was legal.What a horrible travesty of a movie anyway.

When its downloaded from a site that is not authorized to distribute the video it does.

+3 more 
posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

Very well said

I thought it was only illegal to upload material....as you are the one sharing this media. When you download a torrent your downloading a lot of little pieces of useless information. You dont receive the file from one person, multiple people are sending tiny bits of information that end up making a whole program/game/application etc.

Software, movies, music....its all over priced. If someone wants to share something they have purchased i dont see anything wrong with that...its paid for once. They make out everyone is using torrents, most of the people i know dont have a clue what a torrent is.

These multi billion dollar companies are all the same...money money money. They are the criminals.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

When you steal something that I created, or have the property rights to, then it is stealing. Duplicating something that you arent authorized to have in the first place is in fact, stealing.

For each copy you make and distribute, its a seperate count.

I am positive if you and other created something that cost millions of dollars, and others decide to steal it and distribute it, forcing you to lose out on the fruits of your creation, you would be upset as well.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by thatonedude

When its downloaded from a site that is not authorized to distribute the video it does.

Thanks for the info

And thank god for proxies

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Alot of these IPs could easily come from school, public wifi networks or stolen wifi from neighbors

+30 more 
posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

incorrect. stealing your intellectual property rights would be me selling your music, or claiming that i wrote it as my own.

you must find a new word for this illegality. i thought duplicating would be suitable, as that is exactly what it is. but if youd like to make up a new word for it be my guest. ive already noted the difference between "it" and stealing.

furthermore, the information that i put on the little circular peice of plastic(disc) does nothing more than tell my electronic gadget what sounds to make and when.

what your proposing would require me to pay a nickel to some corporation everytime i decide to pickup my guitar and tell it what sounds to make (and when).

do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

That's exactly how I see it - you've never heard of them being up in arms if someone records a radio broadcast, or a show off their TV.. bit of a double standard. Also, would this mean, If I take a photo of Times Square and post it online, am I pirating the logos and ads in the photo? - I call bull - the cost of producing these things is a fraction of what it used to cost, but the prices go up ...and the artists make ridiculous amounts of money, arguably more than ever - screw 'em

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join