It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider Eats Frog!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
WOW!

spider eats whole frog.

nature u scary

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Wow, that's scary. Usually the bigger a bug is the less creeped out it makes me feel...

but after seeing that

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Dangit!!! The titles lure me in, the content freaks me out! You'd think I'd learn by now, since I hate spiders.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
damn...getting liquified from the inside...wuargh

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Vile lol. Made my back eye wink

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Crazy, injects the frog and its insides liquify? Wonder if we have anything that can do that...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Fishing spiders belong to the genus Dolomedes which includes over a hundred species from all over the world. Which does include Europe and the United states. Spiders of this genus are nocturnal hunters (mostly because their biggest predators are birds) that are also "Semi-Aquatic". In fact not only can they survive under the surface but most of them have he ability to literally walk on water.. In fact you've probably seen these before..

With that said. This particular specimen is actually a member of the Genus Thalassius which are the much much larger than the smaller more common fishing spiders of North American and Europe. They are both Nocturnal and Diurnal hunters although they mostly stick to vegetation during the day time.

Anyway the reason I chime in is because National Geographic gave an inaccurate account of normal hunting behavior.. You see they anchor themselves to whatever they are standing on via their back legs and a strand of silk while their front legs (usually all of them) rest on the water.. The surface tension of the water prevents the spider from sinking... The hunting behavior shown in the video above is a very uncommon behavior and is not their primary hunting strategy by any means..

Also a fun fact.. these spiders have a wax like coating that prevents them from getting wet.. They will emerge from the water completely dry.. no joke.
edit on 10-5-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GDR3k

Yes in fact this is how all spiders feed.. I've seen an Usamabara Baboon (A bright orange african burrowing tarantula) liquefy a mouse before. All that was left was skin.
edit on 10-5-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Now that spider is the gangster of the ponds. I'd hate to see one of those. That would be crazy if it could eat a small child or something like that. Africa is a place i will not go to...unless there's free bacon of course

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There are a few types of spiders in the world that eat BIRDS. Truly creepy. I'm going to go take about 7 showers now and try to forget I saw that...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Sphincter Factor - 10

Blankitty blank four letter expletive!! And I mean it!!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Even though I am terrified of spiders....I was drawn like a moth to a flame to look!

EEEEEEEE! now that is so creepy!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
All I can say is..... ANOM NOM NOM NOM.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I thank the Gods I live no where near there and will spend all night checking every corner in the house. Why do I watch these things. I am my own worst enemy. Very interesting though thank you for sharing.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
For you people who are as afraid of spiders as i am,

Googlize Goliath Bird Eating Spider. If you werent afraid of spiders before you will be after you see what those giants are all about

Actually this is a good video

www.youtube.com...
edit on 10-5-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I am going to go out of my way now to step on EXTRA spiders now that I have seen that!

Crawley little freaks!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Bangs head against the wall. Why oh why did I click to watch this? I hate spiders! EEEEEEW! Poor little froggy. I only watched a part of it!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
wouldve been more educational if they showed the finale of the process

spiders are remarkable

remarkably creepy

but the more we learn the better off we will be

somehow

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A good way to overcome a fear and phobia is by getting info about it. By researching info about bees and sharks i've become more fascinated rather than scared. Ill admit tho, that spider are horrible by any means. I rarely intentionally kill one where i live. Still, i'm scared of exotics one. But theres no plan going in australia anyway, or africa.

new topics

top topics

join