It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"That's just the way it is" Do you hear this phrase as much as I do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I get into conversations with people. Real conversations, not just fluff about TV, movies or music (not hating on those though).

I present new and different views to people. I say a lot of things that ATSers would take for granted:

1) Media and government are under control by corporations and banksters

2) We enslave ourselves to jobs to repay debts of the body (hunger, shelter, water)

3) Two party system is really one party

etc etc etc

And almost every conversation reaches a point where the others say "Well thats just the way it is"

Is anyone else bothered by this? Does anyone else believe this is a defeatist, disempowering response to the social issue we face?

When people use this phrase it implies their hopelessness about social change and people's ability to change society. Hopelessness is pointless. What good does it do to say "Thats just the way it is"? Where does that get us, the human race, as a whole?

Isn't it better to be hopeful and niave than hopeless and gloomy? Which inspires more change and which invites us to sit back and do nothing because "thats just the way it is."

Of course, the hopeless call themselves "realists".

Thoughts?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

all the time, like the crap going on is supposed to be the way it is like its normal,well i think its bullspit!! and it will continue to be that way as long as people keep regurgitating the words "it is what it is its just the way it is"

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this, I have been feeling this same way for years. At first I chalked my disillusionment with the way that our species is conducting itself as perhaps just childhood naivete. Now of course I realize that there is a logical disconnect between how we can all recognize that things aren't the way we feel that they should be.

My problem has always been two-fold. One, how do we get those that give such a pat response to actually care. And two, what can we effectively do in order to change it. Assuming of course that we have convinced enough people to actually be apart of the solution. Honestly most people are so bogged down by the two + jobs that they have to work in order to survive that they don't have the luxury of time to contemplate how things could/should be better.

I think it's past time that there was a fundamental change in the way our species conducts itself. The problem is that some are waiting for an outside force (read: Jesus, Twelfth Imam, Alien Disclosure, or the 2012 awakening) to accomplish this. The problem, and hopefully the solution as well, lies within us. Hopefully we can get on the right track before humanity is just a bunch of fossils in the galactic time line.
edit on 10-5-2011 by countduckula24 because: Becasue I was partly asleep I believe

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I've found this phrase to be a cop out. But a cop out would be to say that the person using it was capable of truly comprehending whatever the topic was that they were using it about.

I don't think that all people can understand everything that is thrown at them by reality. Even something like the quake and flood in Japan were written off by many as God's will or just the way things are, just the way it is.

From my observations, to much information cannot be processed by people at one time. And for someone who has been believing, not only believing. but being who they are because of what they believe, the phrase "thats just the way it is, isn't so much a cop out as a statement saying "whoa dude, that' s way more than I can process without seriously messing with my view of who I am".

I've had those conversations that you talk about in the OP. I've walked people through flawless logic, step by step, down the line to the only possible conclusion only to have them reply, "SO".

So, yeah, I know what you mean.

link   

The bankers award themselves millions in bonuses - That's just the way it is.

Our freedoms are being eradicated - That's just the way it is.

People are losing their jobs and subsequentley their homes - That's just the way it is.

I could go on, but have a date with a few beers (That's just the way it is).

Good post S&F.

link   
I usually have to say, "There's nothing we can do about it." rather than "That's just the way it is."

Nether statement is good, and I know saying that "nothing can be done" is part of the problem, because I'm sure something can always be done. But when it comes to certain things in the world right now... I feel that there is nothing we can do about it.

Like the Fukushima plant spewing nuclear waste into the environment: Nothing we can do about it now.

Or the oil still pumping into the Gulf: Nothing we can do about it now.

Or the blind idiots in this country who don't listen to reason: Nothing we can do about it now.

*sigh* I think I just depressed myself.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I have been wrestling that damn phrase out of existence every chance I get!

I will tell you, I have met the "That's the way it is." beast and slain him many times...... he is undead... he keeps returning.

My most satisfying, and worst received, answer to this phrase is "Yes, that's the way it is.. but only for now because one day you and people like you will all be dead and the world can move on from entrenched stupidity."

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I use to hear that the most but now-a-days it seems like I hear

"It is what it is"

I hate it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

My most satisfying, and worst received, answer to this phrase is "Yes, that's the way it is.. but only for now because one day you and people like you will all be dead and the world can move on from entrenched stupidity."

Thank you so much for that. Now I know what I can say to people who support the undead beast of 'That's just the way it is'!
edit on 10-5-2011 by countduckula24 because: Still tired

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I use to hear that the most but now-a-days it seems like I hear

"It is what it is"

I hate it.
Yes, it is indeed what it is. But what it is can be changed.

top topics

join