It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns or Ammo?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Would you rather have a few powerful weapons and lots of ammo or, would you rather have tons of powerful weapons and little ammo? This really breaks down to how much "money" you have to spare. I personally think my small collection of arms is good for a SHTF scenario.

One Glock17 with two 17 round magazines and THREE 33rd magazines. takes 9mm Glocks in my opinion are like mini russian made. By which I mean they can with stand a lot of beatings. AKs. I've taken the 17 out into deep wilderness,had it bashed on some rocks "I dropped it" and not even a scratch

One Kel-Tec P3AT with 5 six round magazines. takes 380.

One Henry Survival Rifle AR7 with two six round magazines. Takes 22.LR < my favorite for SHTF. It floats in water and is compact. Plus you carry around 10,000 22.LR no problem.

Now 22.LR is pretty damn cheap. I think here it's like 10$ for a box of a hundred.

One BushMaster Super Light Carbine. Takes 5.56 usually runs 15 for a box of 20 or 50$ for a box of 100. Three High Capacity magazines.

What about you? Are you prepared? Please enlighten me on some other good guns for a SHTF.

Next investment a decent 20 gauge.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
when the ammo is gone then what?? if your rifle or pistol is broken then what?? i have black powder can make my own powder and my own lead, also make my own bow and arrows, not that i have one but can make it, so what will do when your looking for ammo or have a broken firing pin or a main spring or lost clip??? just some things to think about.
edit on 10-5-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arcade425

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I believe I would just rather have a few weapons and more ammo.

Depending on the scenario, you can always take other(dumber)peoples weapons and ammo

But seriously, if you're good with your weapons, you won't need much variety, IMHO.

good question S&F

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A few weapons with lots of ammo and plenty of spare parts.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What kind of .22 lr are you wasting your money on? I pay about 2 bucks for 100 regular .22 rounds. $20 for a 500 round box of remington cyclone.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't expect I can do much against drones that look for "rebels". My example would be the people of Bougainville Island when it comes down to it. They fought against choppers with slingshots ..... and won.

I rather have no weapons at all.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hey dude,

It disturbs me how casual you yanks are about guns and weapons.
Every American I know talks about how you need them for safety coz everyone else has them, If you take them away from everyone then no one has to worry.

After you say this they wil reply with "yeah but the bad guys wont give up their guns" and their probably right, they wouldnt but then you change the law so anyone caught with a gun gets sent off to jail and I imagine it would somewhat deter people.

If you dont grow up in a gun culture you dont think about having one and I think pro gun laws are actually counter productive as instead of feeling safe that you have a gun your in fact paranoid coz everyone else does as well.

With the fact that America has more shootings a year than countries like Sierra Leonne or Brazil you would think you guys would have wised up and realised its maybe not a great idea to have them so easily accessable.

To the OP not having a go at you, have spoken to you on other threads and you seem cool its just the American mentality I just cant get my head around it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Black powder and bow are great just not to start with. If anything bad goes down the first few weeks will be us shooting at eachother to thin out the numbers. Good luck

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Then dont post in a guns thread thanks move on

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
you have to ask your self this who has the most ammo and what cal do they use??? and what country do you live in me USA, NATO rounds what is the most common 9mm 5.56x 45, 223. 7.62x 51, 308, 30-06 sniper rifles, then the most common civ owned answers.yahoo.com... from the link

What are the 10 most common calibers for bullets in the US, for pistols rifles?
the answer is

.22LR, .223, 22-250, 243, 270, 30/30, .308, 30-06, 300 win mag and arguably the 7.62x39MM...

Pistols?....

.38, .380, .357 Magnum, 9MM, 40S&W, 44 Magnum and .45 ACP..
so do have them all or just one of them, and then will you find ammo for the big 44mag, the small 22? and just how well do you know your weapons will a 308 round fit in a m60 or vice versa will an ak round fit in your 308, if you find 7.62x54 what will it fit in. know tjis and then you can say your ready for when TSHTF
edit on 10-5-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit. added link

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I'm a disabled Veteran. It's not about being American or excersing my 2nd Amandment rights. Truth is if it came down to it physically I would lose/die. I carry a concealed weapon for my own and my familys protection. Just remember if they outlaw guns, only outlaws will own guns. I know you weren't aiming at me, I just like to see how other people in the world feel about this "SHTF" scenario that is slowly unfolding.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The only practical reason I could see for a bunch of weapons would be to have capability to fire whatever rounds you were able to find in post collapse. More weapons, more caliber capability. But that assumes you live long enough to find any spare ammo somewhere else. In order to survive, you need to have all your other preps in place, like food, water, shelter, medical, garden, livestock, etc...

In my personal protection I have both, I have a variety of weapons that fire different rounds. And I have a few weapons that I have stocked up thousands of rounds of ammo for each weapon.

For my personal collection I have .22LR, .38sp, .357, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 30-30, 30-06, 7.62x39, .308, .458 SOCOM

Oh yeah, and 12ga Mossberg
edit on 10-5-2011 by zestor because: Oh yeah, and 12ga Mossberg

Oh yeah, and also .410ga with .45LC Judge
edit on 10-5-2011 by zestor because: Oh yeah, and also .410ga with .45LC Judge

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I think you're doing fine. After the shotgun what about something with a scope and the reach to match. Maybe a bolt action .308 for cheaper ammo or a magnum possibly if you reload at all Ruger makes nice reliable bolt guns for a reasonable price in my experience

might be nice to have a carbine that would accept your Glock mags and ammo.
edit on 5/10/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4Starlight2Decay0
What kind of .22 lr are you wasting your money on? I pay about 2 bucks for 100 regular .22 rounds. $20 for a 500 round box of remington cyclone.

CCI Mini-Mag is the ammo I use, it's much better IMHO than Remington 500 round box stuff.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I appreciate where your coming from dude,

I spose Im just naive and would like to believe if a SHTF scenario did come up people would pull together.
In isolated groups of a family or 2 with a ton of food, water, survival gear etc you just make yourself a tempting target guns or no guns.
But if a whole community pulls together its more likely to create an atmosphere where instead of feeling the need to rob and kill potential outlaws would see maybe the better option would be to join the community.

Just a thought, I really dont think if a SHTF scenario came up Australians would go round killing and robbing each other but as I said maybe Im just naive

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

I had an opinion and I wanted to share it

Democracy, freedom of speech etc etc

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

first off thank you for keeping me safe and going into hell to do it!!! my post are not towards you but to inform the uninformed as to what is really needed , for they have to think that this is going to be no play time best not to be seen keep low move slow and if you have a plan to get to a safe place , by the time you get there, it will not be safe some one might be already there, now ask your self this will can you kill for it, or will you move on and cut your losses.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

It is possible to have a strong sense of community while at the same to maintaining access and experience with firearms which after all are nothing more than a tool that can be of great use in many survival situations

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I starred and flagged you op.

Your thread is quickly becoming a pro/anti gun debate.....oh no....

I appreciate your honesty and I hope this thread gets back on the right track. I only say this because I cannot own a firearm.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

and your one of the ones that will most likely shoot first and ask later, i will not post on here what i have or might not have just one option i do have, and then you did not answer. what will you do when you have no ammo no main spring or lost your clip.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join