It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Burn a Bush'? Michelle Obama invites rapper Common to a poetry reading

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
The President is in a position where he is to unite people, not divide.

Yes. "Common" is a person. He probably has a LOT of fans. Those people are people. I know you, from your perspective, call him "trash", but that's just your personal judgments and prejudices talking.

Show casing this kind of trash does nothing but highlight serious differences within the society and serve to cause strains within them.

Yes, now you're getting it. There are DIFFERENCES in our society and the way to unite people is to recognize, accept and even celebrate those differences.

I don't know why you think Common is racist.

That the terrible problems within the black community are described and celebrated in these poems is yet another element of this idiocy.

Why shouldn't we be hearing about the black community's problems?

Could they not find poems of the desired racial background who wrote uplifting poems?

You think we should only look at the sunny side of racism and injustice in this country???

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston
it does not mean that Michelle and Barack Obama want to burn bush. Obama was very clear that he would not be prosecuting or investigation any members of the bush administration for any alleged wrong doing. furthermore, he has continued the foreign policies of the bush administration. anyone who thinks that the Obamas want to burn bush is either incredibly ignorant or trying to stir up drama. which are you?

A totally disingenuous answer.

I don't pick as favorite musicians people that write songs where I totally disagree with the lyrics. Instead, I pick those that mean someting to me. That I can identify with.

Most people do the same. That's why it will appear that way to most people - the point of the OP - that the obama's identify with the rapper's violent lyrics.

YOU can't be so ignorant as to not understand basic human nature. Then again,. if the obama's don't get it ...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
For me anyway, the biggest complaint I have is like 4 months ago Obama called for a turning down of hateful rhetoric. Apparently his wife did not get the message.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
You know some of those lyrics I can totally relate to, I went back to read them again but they were gone, something to the effect,
I live in a place others fear but it is still beautiful to me and I call it home, not in those words,

the hood is my home,

Michelle and Barak can't relate., but it is something Jarret helped create, you know her, the other half of Obama's brain?
www.boston.com...
edit on 123131p://bTuesday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston
if connor oberst, a white poet, singer and songwriter, put in a poem that he wanted to "burn obama" and provided reasons to support his stance that weren't racial, there would be no problem whatsoever.

I don't know if that is true based off of other artistic endeavors to criticize Obama.
www.mrc.org...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

"Black gem in the rough

You’re rugged enough

Use your mind and nine-power, get the government touch

Them boys chat-chat on how him pop gun

I got the black strap to make the cops run

They watching me, I’m watching them

Them dick boys got a lock of cock in them

My people on the block got a lot of pok* in them

and when we roll together"

Sounds like he's talking about exercising their second amendment right and putting the power back where it belongs, in the hands of the people.

I mean rolling together strapped is really no different then forming a well armed and well regulated militia. Just in different words.
edit on 10-5-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Punisher75
For me anyway, the biggest complaint I have is like 4 months ago Obama called for a turning down of hateful rhetoric. Apparently his wife did not get the message.

What you guys aren't getting is that this guy speaks for a lot of people in this country. The only hateful rhetoric I see here is by the people who are against bringing "trash" rappers into the White House. Seems to me like the Obamas are being inclusive here. Look it up.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Then where are the christian rappers? I'm guessing not so much on the "inclusive" thing. . . . .

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I guess it wouldn't be "politically correct" to have a black rapper invited to a poetry contest because his lyrics might offend some.

This post serves only to highlight the hypocrisy of some on the right who complain about political correctness in this country but then go on to demand political correctness against lyricists they deem offensive. So let's let the PC mentality reign and ban this rapper from the media.

BTW some rappers use offensive lyrics that highlight gun violence as a means to bring attention to it, and some rappers are just willing to say/do anything to cash in. But let's lump them all together and join the PC crusade against it. Reminds me of when Madonna was invited to the WH and everyone was all upset because of her "offensive lyrics" invoking religious themes. Thanks OP for illustrating your political correctness hypocrisy...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA you people are extremely close minded for being on a site as abovetopsecret. Common has to be one of the most positive rappers out there next to CEE-LO.

What you woke up this morning and found out you love police or the goverment for that matter? i havnt come across one thread on this site that says buy your local cop a coffee this morning and shake his hand!

More like, how many threads ive seen of police harrassing good people, incarcerating them for stupid reason's
or just plain beating folks up cause they can.

link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Then where are the christian rappers? I'm guessing not so much on the "inclusive" thing. . . . .

Yolanda Adams is a female christain artist who has performed at the White house for both Bush and Obama.

As for rappers:

Still Trill Christians

Houston's Still Trill Christians were recently honored with President Obama's "Call to Service" award and medal for their continued support of the country's youth and for their "No Sex" song/campaign in particular.

link   

Why is there no end of the poor judgement exhibited by this administration.

They are politicians... NONE of them have common sense... Not in this admin or any previous one ( Not for a long time anyway...)

Show me a politician with any good sense of judgement, common sense or that is in touch with reality and society, and I will show you a fairy tale.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Then where are the christian rappers?

Gosh, I don't know... Where do they hang out?

I don't think the White House has had any Zydeco musicians as guests either and I haven't seen anyone playing the didgeridoo there, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be inclusive of them.

By the way, the White House has had more Christian and other religious guests than I care to think about.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Yolanda Adams is a female christain artist who has performed at the White house for both Bush and Obama.

As for rappers:

Still Trill Christians

Houston's Still Trill Christians were recently honored with President Obama's "Call to Service" award and medal for their continued support of the country's youth and for their "No Sex" song/campaign in particular.

Touche'

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

this is only a ploy to gain votes from the ' rap/hip hop ' slice in the pie going as low to have what is wrong ' seem ' right.

a large percentage of people don't vote but this could sway a few more.
Don't be suprised if you see obama shooting a basketball next week with the knicks.

edit on 10-5-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
so your saying that the word "cops" is code for all white people. Or are cops a race now? I dont really see anything racist about it.

Also the " My uzi weighs a ton" line is a reference to a old Public enemy song by the same name. In that song, it it used in the context of "the mind is the greatest weapon" and I'm pretty sure that is what common is alluding to also.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

So the notion that someone has "followers" gives them legitimacy and affords them the prestige of receiving a White House invitation? Cool

David Duke has a lot of followers too, as do many folks who spout objectionable trash, like Obama's pal Rev. Wright. How would you feel were Duke to write a couple of poems and be invited into the White House? Common espouses violence, hatred towards whites and the rule of law. He is David Duke of a different stripe, albiet a bit cooler and smart enough to cash in on folks who find this kind of glorification of the ghetto lifestyle vogue and stylish.

If you find it insightful as it provides a glimpse of life in the inner city, OK. How about a poet who writes poems on folks losing their college slot or job due to affirmative action, about the violence in their cities due to gang and criminal activity? Or is that kind of insight unacceptable?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

These are the same folks who want to edit Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn in the library as they contain words they deem offensive.

I'm sorry, but where did the Obama administration say they supported the censorship of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? As I understand, the censored edition of those novels were produced by an independent publisher with no political affiliation whatsoever.

And if you find Common's words to be so offensive, then it is probably because they are true. His lyrics represent what life is like in the inner city for millions of underprivileged Americans, regardless of skin color. You yourself have spoken out numerous times about the ridiculousness of political correctness, why the sudden flip-flop?

The fact remains that Common is one of the most positive artists in the hip-hop scene today. If you can't even handle his message, then you should probably just bury your head in the sand because the real world might be too much for you.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

So the notion that someone has "followers" gives them legitimacy and affords them the prestige of receiving a White House invitation?

Not at all. Every person in this country is legitimate to be afforded the 'prestige' of receiving a White House invitation. Having fans has nothing to do with it. I'm sure you'll find that many of the White House Guests have been regular people, without celebrity or wealth.

If you find it insightful as it provides a glimpse of life in the inner city, OK.

Well, thanks.

Or is that kind of insight unacceptable?

Unacceptable to whom? If people feel something and want to write a poem about it, it's fine with me. I can't say whether or not they'd catch the eye of Michelle Obama, but they might.

Reading over your posts, it sounds like you think this isn't fair. That this rapper shouldn't have been invited to the White House. You have yet to back up any of your accusations that he's racist or "trash" or comparable to David Duke. But still, you find this whole 'black rapper in the White House' and 'black man taking my job' to be horribly unfair.

I'd really like to see some statistics on that whole 'black man taking my job' thing... Throughout history:

- How many black men have gotten jobs, with affirmative action, even though they were less qualified, in order to meet a quota?
- How many black men didn't get the job because of their race, even though they were more qualified than the white guy?

I'd like to see a chart on that. Because I'll bet you a year's salary that the second number is about a million times larger than the first. I support an end to affirmative action. But the fact that you went from a rapper in the White House to David Duke to complaining about 'the black man taking the white man's job', indicates to me that this is about more than your social sensibilities being offended.

So, good luck with that.

'Depraved' Music is a White House Tradition

In a video that has somehow escaped the attention of the conservative press, President Obama can be seen presenting a medal to a foreign singer whose co-wrote a song with the lyrics, "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man." Another of his compositions depicts a serial murder on a killing spree that involves bludgeoning a teacher to death with a hammer. He also wrote a song that glorified the Soviet Union at the height of its Cold War power.
President Clinton also hosted a band that sang about cannibalizing wealthy Americans. It isn't clear that George H.W. Bush listened to music with words. But Ronald Reagan, hero of the conservative movement, is known to have praised Born in the USA. After researching the matter, I can confirm that one song on that album is written from the perspective of a statutory rapist!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

You're missing the point, it's not about if Michelle likes "Common" or about political correctness, it has everything to do with double standards and the lowering of standards we already have. When has it been acceptable to have a rapper in the white house (or any other institute) rap about killing police officers? I'm FAR from being politically correct, and if they (Michelle) was doing this to prove that she too hates political correctness, I'd support her. But she's not.

This is just poor taste, unfitting of a first lady.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join