It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Kuwait Bans 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
In a political decision Kuwait has banned the newest Moore block buster hit movie. According the the information ministry in Kuwait the movie is insulting to the Saudi royal family and there are laws thAt prevent insulting friendly nations. Evidently the decision to ban the movie was made in mid-July and is just now hitting the news.

www.kf wb.com
"We have a law that prohibits insulting friendly nations, and ties between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are special," Abdul-Aziz Bou Dastour, cinema and production supervisor at the Information Ministry, told The Associated Press.

He said the film "insulted the Saudi royal family by saying they had common interests with the Bush family and that those interests contradicted with the interests of the American people."

The ministry made the decision to bar "Fahrenheit 9/11" in mid-July after the state-owned Kuwait National Cinema Co. asked for the license to show the movie. The company monopolizes cinemas in Kuwait, but all movies must first be sanctioned by government censors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These are our allis? We collaborate with nations that have national information censors and don't let the political views of Moore become public? When we talk about freedom for all people and when Bush stands on his soap box telling tales of the great America and it's freedom loving friends it makes me wonder why we are friends with governments that don't afford their people simple things like voicing their opinion. Who cares if the Saudi terrorist royal family gets offended, maybe they should fund terrorists. The standard of how the US government looks at what freedom is has become a theory that is not practiced and is not a requirement for our allies.

[edit on 8-1-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
More proof that the war in Iraq isn't for freedoms. We will free you however censor what you can view.

If the country was really free it could view whatever it wanted and make up its own mind.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Kuwait is a sovereign nation, How is it that we have the right to tell them what to censor or not?

It is their decision to show what they choose to show.

Do you have a similar problem with Al Jazeera or Qatar?

What about the brouhaha we had here in the US over Mel Gibson's movie?

from 7th_Chakra
More proof that the war in Iraq isn't for freedoms. We will free you however censor what you can view.

How does this have anything to do with Iraq or the US? Are the US or Iraq doing the censoring here? It is incredible how some here will jump on any excuse to bash Bush and the US.

You wouldn't be protesting so much if the film praised Bush and his administration, now would you? Be honest.

Finally, if you want an example of censorship, you need go no further than our neighbor and "ally" to the north - Canada, where Al Jazeera is welcome, but Fox News is not.

:shk:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
its just to prevent more people to hate him.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I love how the same people whining about how the US is a disgrace for telling people what to do are now saying that we should tell Kuwait what to do.

If these hypocrites could put their heads back in the sand like a good ostrich we'd all have a better day.

Talk about convenient politics.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
So Saudi Arabia are calling the shots in Kuwait these days.
Isn't there talk of a Saudi led coalition taking control of Iraqi security?

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Finally, if you want an example of censorship, you need go no further than our neighbor and "ally" to the north - Canada, where Al Jazeera is welcome, but Fox News is not.

Wow, I didn't know that. Do you have any links to support this claim that Canada does not allow Fox News? Sorry to go off topic, but I'd really like to learn more about this.

I'm suprised at Kuwait. But, they may be repaying a debt of gratitude still to Daddy Bush for putting our soldiers on the line for them in the first Gulf War? Maybe they were 'encouraged' to do this. If so, that is very lame.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
I love how the same people whining about how the US is a disgrace for telling people what to do are now saying that we should tell Kuwait what to do.

If these hypocrites could put their heads back in the sand like a good ostrich we'd all have a better day.

Talk about convenient politics.

That seems kinda flaming to me. I don't see anyone whining, and I see nothing hypocritical in the replies here.

Maybe we should consider that the US may be telling people what to do in this case as well?

[edit on 2-8-2004 by AmethystWolf]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystWolf

Originally posted by jsobecky

Wow, I didn't know that. Do you have any links to support this claim that Canada does not allow Fox News? Sorry to go off topic, but I'd really like to learn more about this.

I'm suprised at Kuwait. But, they may be repaying a debt of gratitude still to Daddy Bush for putting our soldiers on the line for them in the first Gulf War? Maybe they were 'encouraged' to do this. If so, that is very lame.

There are several threads about this, including Canada Keeps Censoring Fox but OKs Al-Jazeera in Politics and Scandals, I believe. I'd give a better pointer but I'm at work right now.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
In 1959, George H.W. Bush's company Zapata Off-Shore won a contract to drill in Kuwait. He is along time friend there. It is said that the reason Saddam Hussein attacked Kuwait was because Kuwait was directional/ or slant drilling into Iraq and stealing their oil. In 1990, Iraq accused Kuwait of stealing Iraq's oil through slant drilling. August 1990 President George H.W. Bush orders United States military to bombard Iraq.

***“If the American people really knew what we had done, we would be chased down the street and lynched.” — President George H.W.Bush to White House correspondent Sara McClendon, 1992

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
This thread is seven years old but i going to say it anyways.

Kuwait does have the right to ban or import films what they wanted. In America, you cannot get the film banned under the 1st amendment.

Kuwait does have a long history of being occupied by the Iraqi Army during the Gulf War.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

I'm just curious how you came across this thread again after 7 years haha.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I don't know it's in the search box and just comment LOL

new topics

top topics

join