It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: US Financial Sector & DC Alert Level Raised to Orange

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well Muaddib, then they should learn to filter the "very credible" and "very reliable sources" from the "none so credible" and "none so reliable sources" because since 9/11 all the alerts has come from "very credible and very reliable sources"

Maybe some body needs to learn the difference between the "credible sources" from the "none so reliable ones"

And like Rant said somebody is collecting "reliable profits" from the scare of "none so reliable sources"

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

On Friday, Pakistan announced the capture of a top al Qaeda operative, Tanzanian-born Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, wanted by the United States in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa that killed 224 people.

A computer and several disks were seized when Ghailani and 13 others were seized last weekend southeast of Islamabad.

I'm guessing this is where it came from, since Ridge mentioned Pakistan.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Marg, even the police uses this kind of intelligence gathering as well as private agencies that work with intelligence. Pretty much every agency in the US, even those that are not with the government, use chatter to gather intelligence.

I am sure the government will not list such a threat if they didn't think it came from a known cell or terrorist suspects. This is probably more of a "precautionary measure," it is the same when we have a warning of a hurricane in the east coast from the Atlantic, we don't know exactly which way the hurricane will move, and the appropiate agencies give warnings to all those areas that are likely to be hit.

[edit on 1-8-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I agree, the govt should only announce alerts when they know for certain that an attack is coming. Or better yet, they should announce the alert after the event so they will be 100% certain. No need to bother or frighten us all needlessly with "possible" attacks or mere rumors. Why that might cause us to be a little more alert regarding unusual behavior.

We need absolutes! Ridge, don't bother me with your stink'n alerts until you know something for certain.

www.terroranalysis.com...
www.debka.com...
www.siteinstitute.org...
haganah.us...
www.homelandsecurityus.com...
www.borrull.org...
www.janes.com...
www.memri.org...
www.e-prism.org...
www.usip.org...
www.maktab-al-jihad.com...
www.truthusa.com... (massive link list)
www.middle-east-online.com...
www.strategypage.com...
www.geocities.com...
home.earthlink.net...
www.zionism.tk...
www.jihadwatch.org...
edwardjayepstein.com...
www.worldthreats.com...

www.google.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by J0HNSmith
If you were planning on blowing up LA would you tell everyone? Or would you tell your operations around the world that NY and DC were gonna get hit? Such a specific threat should be more concerning as a diversion. There are more ways to look at this than the way they're pitching it on TV. How many people knew about 9/11 before it happened? Did they "spread the word" about it so to speak? In my little way of thinking I'd say they are ready to hit targets in the western US.

Bait & Switch
Late last week the FBI mentioned they had stopped a plot to attack NM & CA. Then they mentioned that the plan may actually have been postponed. Now with everyone looking at NYC & DC, it will make it easier to strike some where else. We know that they are intent on completing planned operations, and are patient. This could be a great way to take the attention off the west so they can get back to their other plan.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxie mouse
I agree, the govt should only announce alerts when they know for certain that an attack is coming. Or better yet, they should announce the alert after the event so they will be 100% certain. No need to bother or frighten us all needlessly with "possible" attacks or mere rumors. Why that might cause us to be a little more alert regarding unusual behavior.

We need absolutes! Ridge, don't bother me with your stink'n alerts until you know something for certain.

Wow
Speak for yourself. This was not announced as a rumor, the chatter has always been non specific prior to this so they don't do much in the past. There were specific targets this time and this information was shared.

I for one want to know these things. Why wouldn't one want to be more alert. Turn off the TV if you don't want to hear it.

By the way if they know exactly what where & when there is no need for them to tell us anything and they wouldn't. They would be able to act on it and then just tell us about it afterwards.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Does anyone know what the BEST possible way to handle this situation? Moxie, you say you want absolutles and a bunch of other people are saying that the govt. is just trying to "scare" us in order to control us. Others are saying we need to know. First of all, IMO, it is impossible to have an absolute because we are not dealing with anything static. People change their minds and objectives and for all we know Tom Ridge's speech today could have had the terrorists go into plan 'B'. Second, as far as this matter of control issue. They could have had control over the entire country during ww2 or the cold war. They pretty much already did. meh, its all relative, if it gets too hot here we will leave to somewhere else. Control won't be able to change the fact the we would want out of a country going down the crapper. 3rd, we maybe being misdirected as JOHNsmith stated earlier in these posts and this attack could be directed to the west coast.

My conclusion, take into this warning as to what is means, as a warning. wherever you are just keep your eyes open to whats going on around you. Who knows, it may do some good.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I am as concern as anybody else about the possibility of terrorist attacks.

To a point I have to agree that do to the 9/11 tragedy we have to be on the alert after stirring the wasp nest in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I also understand that after the government been blame for lack of reliable sources and intelligent the 9/11 attacks and that is why probably the terror alerts are becoming everyday part of our life even when the terror attacks itself are not and we should be grateful for that.

But I also feel that some motives are behind all this warnings and excessive scare of the more susceptible citizens of this country, to what the reason may be I don’t know but I bet one day we will find out.

But the reality is that all this is draining our economy and we the regular tax payer is the one to pay the tab.

So we the citizens of this country should ask How reliable this sources are?

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I apologize for being a little off topic. But I wish to come back to an earlier exchange with someone who suggested that those of us who view this as part of a global jihad are stooges. I countered with numerous posts and links that provide documentation of why I believe the way I do.

Here is more documentation to support the fundamental belief that we are in a global war. Don't believe what I say, read and listen to what the terrorists are actually saying and then judge their actions.

The latest issue of Al Qaeda’s bi-weekly Internet magazine, Sawt al-Jihad, (Voice of Jihad), Issue 21, contains a letter allegedly written by the spouse of a “martyr in the Arab peninsula” to the widow of Paul Johnson, the Lockheed Martin employee recently beheaded by terrorists in Saudi Arabia. The message expresses rage that sympathy was shown around the world to the Johnson family following his execution, declaring Johnson “one of the top criminals” for his involvement in the design and construction of Apache helicopters. The letter concludes, “Tell your government…from the land of Islam.” [read more] complete letter found below

source: www.siteinstitute.org...

Message addressed to the spouse of the infidel Paul Johnson From the spouse of a martyr in the Arab Peninsula

Source: Sout Al Jihad magazine – Issue 21 Al Qaeda Publication

I heard that you appeared on television, acting innocent, and in all insolence wondering about your husband’s crime. I believe that, in fact, he was one of the top criminals, even if he was not viewed as such in your blaspheming tradition, where criminals are considered innocent, and the innocent who defend their rights are considered criminals.

What was the purpose of your husband’s work on the Apache helicopters? Did you think that those planes fly over Afghanistan, Palestine, and Iraq to give away roses and candy to our children there? I bet you do know that they drop missiles and bombs over their heads, turning their streets and their homes into ash, with their burnt bodies lying on top.

Do you consider his work decent and him innocent when he worked on this type of planes? Are you aware that my husband was killed before my eyes, and in his own country?

Are you aware that those who killed him were security men hired to protect the colonialists and terrify and kill the local Muslims? The whole world spoke and was shaken when your husband was held hostage, but nobody said half as much when, three years ago and until this day, America – the country of justice and freedom – detained over 600 Muslims in Cuba. This is in addition to Muslim prisoners in Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and other countries. Let it be known that our brothers who are being detained in your prisons, and those who your husband burned with his plane, are not alone. There are hearts that beat with love for them, just as you showed that you love your deceased husband and more. Muslim blood is more precious to us than the Ka’aba (the Muslim sacred stone in Mecca), whereas your husband’s is that of a dog, for he was a blaspheming polytheist. Do you know that we are still at the beginning, and that we have not done anything yet regarding Muslims’ bloodshed and my husband’s wasted blood? Mountains of bodies of his fellow countrymen will follow your husband’s, until they leave the land of our Prophet, prayer and peace upon him, in humiliation. How can you speak of your damned husband’s innocence, when you hear the Mujahideen’s warnings to leave our land? It is forbidden to you. You have muffed your ears with your fingers and went far into your sins. Such is your punishment. May you shed tears mixed with blood, just as we have from you planes and your soldiers.

Surely you did not care when my husband was killed, or perhaps you didn’t know. Even if you did know, you were probably happy because he got killed before he reached your husband and his people!! My consolation is that the Mujahideen were able to reach their goal with precision and slay your husband. I swear to God that I was extremely happy that day, for the true terrorist was killed, after having sucked the blood of our Muslim children. I don’t know if you are aware that we hate you, Blasphemers. We hate you to the bone. How could we not hate you, when we are in your gratitude, even in our own country? How many of our planes have flown in search of your husband throughout his detention? How much negotiating with the Mujahideen brothers was done, even by the so-called clerics, in an effort to release your husband?

As for my husband, we were denied prayer on him, even after his death. His body was not delivered to us for burial. We rely on God to triumph over those who were unfair to us in order to please you and your peers. No one said a word about my husband, although they all knew he was a good man. They fear their Goddess, America. Tell your government who claims to be in charge of us that something good is coming out of what it is doing to the Mujahid youth. If you kill them, you send them to Heaven, through the shortest path, God willing. If you keep them alive, because you were not able to defeat them, is good too, as they will fight you and drive the Blasphemers away from the land of Islam.

Written by: A martyr’s mother [Um al-Shahid]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
From a thread on FR:

NEWARK - The Coast Guard climbed aboard and investigated a “high interest vessel” in the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday. The ship was supposed to dock in Port Newark, located off Kellogg Street. The vessel has not been docked, and there is no immediate threat to New Jersey.

A spokesman for Governor McGreevey says several state, federal and local agencies were involved in deciding whether the ship would be allowed to port. Members of the governor’s office say they will release more information as the situation warrants.

Developing…

Anyone know anything bout that?

[edit on 1-8-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I was joking to make a point.

We absolutely need to know about these alerts. I was merely responding to the notion, ( proposed by some on this board) that there is a political motive behind these alerts. Some have claimed that the govt is attempting to escalate fears so Bush can stay in office.

I think this is nonsense.

Others responded to my earlier posts regarding the threat of global terrorism as an indication that I am easily duped.

So, I apologize if my sarcasim was not evident.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Just my two cents......

I believe the same people complaining that the gov't is inciting fear...

Are the same people who would condemn the gov't should a warning not be issued and an attack occur......

I think in their eyes the gov't can "do no right", that they only "do wrong"

In their eyes "no" threat is credible, only the destruction after an attack is to be believed.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Just my two cents......

I believe the same people complaining that the gov't is inciting fear...

Are the same people who would condemn the gov't should a warning not be issued and an attack occur......

I think in their eyes the gov't can "do no right", that they only "do wrong"

In their eyes "no" threat is credible, only the destruction after an attack is to be believed.

And even then some don't believe the destruction, or they invent some way that the government was responsible.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I read the letter and I try to see the point on it, this letter can make a very good subject of discussion in ATS.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangeroftheeast

On Friday, Pakistan announced the capture of a top al Qaeda operative, Tanzanian-born Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, wanted by the United States in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa that killed 224 people.

A computer and several disks were seized when Ghailani and 13 others were seized last weekend southeast of Islamabad.

I'm guessing this is where it came from, since Ridge mentioned Pakistan.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. This guy was picked up less than a week ago with his computer. It would make sense that the raise in terror alert may stem from information they have obtained from him.

Ahmed Ghailani is a Tanzanian native who is wanted by the FBI in connection to the 1998 bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. Ghailani is also one of the terrorist who conspirers to kill Americans worldwide and is a follower of bin Laden

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxie mouse
I was joking to make a point.

Others responded to my earlier posts regarding the threat of global terrorism as an indication that I am easily duped.

So, I apologize if my sarcasim was not evident.

Oh, no problem, sorry for misinterpreting.

Maybe if people who assume that someone who doesn't agree with them (no matter how outrageous their speculations may be) is easily duped, it would make these posts a little less difficult to follow.

Maybe if everyone would just stop presenting everything they have fallen for as fact now that they bought into it, instead of insinuating others have fallen for something themselves we could actually discuss the news.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MuaddibAnd its called jihad, not fear tactics, and its coming from the terrorists, but instead of just wanting people to be afraid they want to kill as many as they can.

What puzzles me is this:
If they really wanted to kill "as many as possible", why didn´t they just wait 30 minutes "knocking" those towers over? They could have killed 30.000 instead of 3.000. Or crashing into a nuclear plant instead. I believe they had one big one within reach they could easily have hit instead of WTC/Pentagon, and killed many more. Seems like killing as many as possible might not be their ultimate goal after all, or what?

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

What puzzles me is this:
WTC/Pentagon, and killed many more. Seems like killing as many as possible might not be their ultimate goal after all, or what?

I am also extremely puzzled that there haven't been any suicide bombers. It's like not America is sacred. The fact that there hasn't been seems to indicate there is some kind of collusion going on.

[edit on 1-8-2004 by ktprktpr]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Damnit, I wish I were a reporter at this conference.

The people are asking things like "What do you think will happen?"
"Is this actually something?" "How worried should we be?"

I'd pose the following:

"Has there been any level of damage specified in such an attack? I ask this because Tom Ridge has made references in the past to such things as 'suitcase nuclear weapons', which don't seem to be an issue raised here at all. You mentioned two specific types, either a vehicular bomb or a small package carried by a single person - I pose again, what sort of information, if any, is there on the amount of damage possible or expected from these sort of attacks?"

I mean come on, they ask things about how much stuff we'll do.. They just rarely asked questions I'm interested in hearing the answers to.

I see this as another passing scare, it's different, but it's not as significant as so many of you are making it out to be.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
HELP HELP HELP!!!! There is a Wolf amongst my sheep......!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join