It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy plan to allow same-sex marriage on bases draws opposition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Navy plan to allow same-sex marriage on bases draws opposition

www.cnn.com

A preliminary U.S. Navy plan to allow its chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels after the end of "don't ask, don't tell" has fired up congressional opposition.

All services are moving forward with the transition from the present ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in uniform. Top Pentagon officials are expected to sign off on the new rules and the progress of training in coming weeks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I personally have no problem with same sex marriage but I do not serve in the military so I can't say how this would affect them.

I do know people who are in the Navy and we have discussed this issue and they are not ok with it. They have said it has nothing to do with same sex relationships but the reworking of housing on ships and subs and other issues that could come up.

My personal opinion is if you want to be married you should, it shouldn't matter the sex.

Please keep this civil!! This is NOT to hate on homosexuals, I want to know what those esp serving in the Navy think about this?

Do you feel this will be a problem and if so, how?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm not in the service, but my view is that people would do better to get used to gay people having the same rights and privileges that straight people do. They will eventually be treated with equality under the law. That is going to happen. All the resistance to it will be futile.

I absolutely support equality in marriage, whether on the beach, in a church, on a ship or in a court house.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Look... i don't know about keeping things Civil.... same sex marriage is wrong!!

End Of.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Look... i don't know about keeping things Civil.... same sex marriage is wrong!!

End Of.

And might ask you who has bestowed upon you the authority to make such a decision for others?

"Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?" - 1 Corinthians 10:29

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I don't see why they'd be opposed to it personally. If two consenting adults want to get married then it is their right to.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

Ok so I took a light hearted approach I guess that was wrong
Whatever our beliefs they are our own and give us no right to prevent two adults from being legally married. just my opinion have fun
edit on 5/10/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/10/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm not in the service, but my view is that people would do better to get used to gay people having the same rights and privileges that straight people do. They will eventually be treated with equality under the law. That is going to happen. All the resistance to it will be futile.

I absolutely support equality in marriage, whether on the beach, in a church, on a ship or in a court house.

Agreed!

You can't help who you fall in love with.

I am all for equal rights for everyone.

I know many personally who aren't happy with this but I think it's a step even if many think it will cause problems..those i know in the Navy explained the issues they have with it and to me they don't seem like issues but then again I am not in the Navy so I don't know how it really will affect those who are. I get their points but the same points can be made for heterosexual couples.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

End Of.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I disagree and I am entitled to that as well.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
By the authority vested in me I now pronounce you, um, er.. duh, oh, whatever and whatever, and now you may kiss the whatever.

Okay, now go die for your country.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

If you are a politician:

"Go to church and preach on your own time.

In Washington? Focus on making me work less and earn more money.

Fight for me to have a chance at good health, a little leisure time and the way and means

to enjoy more of my country and my life, with my family."

I don't care what you have to do to accomplish that but somehow I know,
making sure these two don't marry
and creating yet another useless bill to prevent it,
is not getting us any closer to that lofty goal.

In a highly speculative discussion some chaplains used the expression "may" as in theoretically they "may" be legally able (if the Vatican goes along which I highly doubt) to perform same sex marriages when the gay ban is finally lifted in the military.

This is fear mongering plain and simple.
Another non argument, non starter, never happen scenario put out there, AS IF so they can get voters heated up and jabbering about controversial cultural notions and homosexuality rather than actually having to do anything constructive for the voters.

"Look at us! Standing up for good old fashioned (divorce alimony and) family values!"

This was never gonna happen in the first place -
but they have to pull out a platform
before they can stand on it.

This is just "a little fire" started to get you running toward the flames.

A transparent ploy to distract you from the fact
they can't get you a job,
they can't keep jobs here in America,
they can't find a way to put money back in anyone's pocket but their own.

edit on 10-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

My husband's in the military, and doesn't agree with it. Of course we respect eachother, and the NCOIC is in fact lesbian and wears a ring, and talks about living with her girlfriend, but he just feels that it will make our country look even weaker. Yes, there are already homosexual people serving,
but how does it look when you see a man in uniform and later that night dressed like a woman? As I respect evryone, and have friends who are gay/lesbian, I just don't think "showing the world" is the best thing for us right now.

It worked before, why change that now? Oh I forgot, that's what our current president promised.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
If two people love each other
and are happy together .. So what let them be together..
In ancient greece the spartans (if am remember proper) practiced homosexuality with lovers fighting side by side on the battlefield - and they had one of the most efficient militaries in the ancient world.. Yet another silly non-issue westerners fight over.. Never ceases to amaze me..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinkgomo653
Yes, there are already homosexual people serving, but how does it look when you see a man in uniform and later that night dressed like a woman?

You think gay people are those who wear dresses?

It worked before, why change that now?

It worked for whom? Did it work for everyone? No. It didn't work for those being oppressed.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Did I say ALL? No. But YES. SOME gay people cross dress.
MOST gays cross dress.

And even then, that's not the main point.
It worked as far as the military being strict and structured.

Like you said, you're not in the military, so you wouldn't know.
What else are they going to start allowing?
It's just making the military weak as in "oh ok..we'll allow this. ANd okay, we'll just take that out also.
Oh we don't want to offend anyone, so we'll stop that also".
edit on 10-5-2011 by Pinkgomo653 because: Forgot toadd

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinkgomo653
MOST gays cross dress.

All righty!
I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

It's just making the military weak as in "oh ok..we'll allow this.

They will "allow" equality? Isn't that one of the basic tenets of our country??? The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution seem to suggest so. Should the military really be acting in contrary to the founding documents that they're sworn to uphold? I don't think so.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Those serving will let it be known how they feel. Sadly enough, there are many "accidents" that take place during training exercises and on the field of battle.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

You are right - this entire anti-gay marriage business is offensive and divisive. Marriage is a contractural agreement between two parties, nothing more. By what right does anyone have the right to suggest that two people are unable to enter into a contract that they are able to themselves.

Of course, folks will jump on with the "why not with kids", "why not with siblings", "why not with more than one person" business. Those are childish arguments. Two concenting adults of the same sex should be able to enter into a contract that affords them the protections which are currently given to two persons, one of each sex today.

A better question might be why there are marriages performed on military bases at all. I certainly recognize the need and desire to have church services on a base and a chaplin service within the military, but see no reason what so ever that there need to be marriages of any kind, or any other flavor of religious ceremony on a military base.
edit on 10-5-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

If that was one of the basic tenets our country made, then it would've happened along time ago,don't you think?

I'm not going to argue. There is nothing wrong with our beliefs. We said what we feel and that's that..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join