It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin debris and Earth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Ok so I was looking at the animation of planetary orbits here:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Lately there's been much talk about Elenin and how it'll cause the end of life and we know it etc. Looking at it's orbit it crosses close to Earth orbit twice: once on August 2 by which point the Earth is well past it, and again on Oct 19th. Now with the 19th I wonder about a couple of things

a) How close will it go past us and more importantly
b) Could it be possible that on Nov 3rd or somewhere near there we slam into debris that's tailing the comet? Have a look at the animation you'll see what I mean.

Also, there was a thread on here saying there's things behind Elenin. Could those things be the debris that cause me concern? Some insights would be appreciated.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Considering the size of the comet/tail, i strongly doubt that there will be any major repercussion for the planet

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Yes, another thread on this ridiculous topic is needed. Thanks for filling in.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
Yes, another thread on this ridiculous topic is needed. Thanks for filling in.

It was a simple question. Just wondering if my theory had any potential to it. Not like I came out and said 'OMG COMET ELENIN WILL CRASH INTO EARTH. PROOF' and then throw in some #ty youtube video.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrankLY
Considering the size of the comet/tail, i strongly doubt that there will be any major repercussion for the planet

That's good to know
Do we have accurate scans of what's behind the comet? Or are we just hoping for the best? On a totally off topic note because I don't think it warrants a new thread :

Don't you think this'd be an amazing plan. Tell the MSM Osama is dead so all coverage covers that, then leave enough holes in the story so the CT's catch onto it. Meanwhile do something totally unrelated on the third front which was the actual objective so NO ONE looks at it bar a handful of people and it receives no coverage from either factions. Just sayin.

link   
This was already discussed on every elenin thread out there, this should not be a thread but should be a simple post in already existing thread

link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

b) Could it be possible that on Nov 3rd or somewhere near there we slam into debris that's tailing the comet? Have a look at the animation you'll see what I mean.

a) .0306528 AU = 4585,593.589 Kilometers, roughly twenty times the distance to the Moon
d) The "debris" following the comet is mostly very fine dust that will burn up in the atmosphere, hopefully creating a pretty meteor shower.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Hey mate! your up late

a few readings have been announced:

0.24AU's down to 0.0004617 AU's on 21.42pm 16th Oct 2011 (pretty god dam close!)
Also fears that the International Space Station may be hit
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and apparently a ufo in elenins tail
edit on 10-5-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Logman

I offer my sympathies that you have so little control over your mouse hand, it must be awful finding yourself checking out threads that you have no time for.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here's a diagram covering from September 16th to December 3rd, showing the positions of Earth and Elenin.

Click on these images to view them, as the forum cuts off the right edge. This view is taken from directly above Earth's orbit:

This view is taken directly perpendicular to Earth's orbit (edge on), with Elenin starting directly behind the Sun:

Same edge-on orientation, but from 90 degrees to the left:

Any debris from Elenin, which is mostly gas and very tiny particles, will follow along in the paths indicated. Since we can see that the two orbits don't actually intersect in 3D space, there's nothing to worry about. When Elenin crosses Earth's orbit, it is well above the path the Earth will take.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

a) .0306528 AU = 4585,593.589 Kilometers, roughly twenty times the distance to the Moon
d) The "debris" following the comet is mostly very fine dust that will burn up in the atmosphere, hopefully creating a pretty meteor shower.

I thought the comet's tail would be about 900,000km on Nov. 5, 2011. So we should pass through it, yes. As far as it being dangerous or not I would say yes. Why? It has passed through an asteroid belt, possibly picking up additional debris. There are possible trailing asteroids, but unknown.

On Nov. 26, 2011 the earth, sun and Elenin are in alignment. Earth distance .646AU, sun distance 1.63AU

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

0.24AU's down to 0.0004617 AU's on 21.42pm 16th Oct 2011 (pretty god dam close!)
Also fears that the International Space Station may be hit

There was absolutely no source given for this statement:

"these are my calculations, but I've revised the 0.24AU's down to 0.0004617 AU's on 21.42pm 16th Oct 2011 (pretty god dam close!)"

It is a palpable hoax.

and apparently a ufo in elenins tail

A proven hoax:

Here's what the good professor says on his website:

I did not say that the cluster was a giant alien spacecraft, that must be attributed to the media ( Online Missions on its Web site and Chronicle newspaper of Buenos Aires .) who posted bad information, and further without permission of the lecturer .

El Quelonio Voladore

edit on 10-5-2011 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct formatting.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

Comets don't pick up debris, they expel debris from being heated by their proximity to the sun. The tail is made up of subatomic particles, ions, free electrons, and the second tail is dust and debris no larger than pebbles. The ion tail is very reflective, and has no effect on any mass more than the solar wind, the dust, well is very very tiny dust ejected by the comet outgassing. People were actually struck by meteorites larger than the dust and were not even seriously injured. I believe an old lady was struck in her house by an 8-pound meteorite chunk in the hip and was not injured other than a bruise.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This comet would have no effect to earth if it passed by by 500 miles, or even less. It's will be traveling beyond earth orbital escape velocity and its mass is negligible. A semi driving down the highway has more tidal effect that this comet ever can. Comets can only effect us if they happen to collide with earth. A collision to the moon will also have zero effect to the moon and earth. You have to look at the scale of these things in comparison!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
C/2010 X1 Elenin is a normal comet on a perfectly normal orbit around the Sun. There is nothing special about it. There is no chance of it coming anywhere near Earth. There is no UFO or huge pot of gold hiding behind it. Please stop worrying about it.

top topics

join