It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's GIANT Cloud Machine in MS - BBC Special

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

The large billowing cloud that you see on US rocket launches is from the steam of the noise abatement system, its not from burning hydrogen. If you notice, the Shuttle only produces such a plume while its running its SRB’s, once it separates and goes to its Main Engines the smoke plume stops. Here is what is in the SRB propellant:

he propellant mixture in each SRB motor consists of ammonium perchlorate (oxidizer, 69.6% by weight), aluminum (fuel, 16%), iron oxide (a catalyst, 0.4%), a polymer (such as PBAN or HTPB, serving as a binder that holds the mixture together and acting as secondary fuel, 12.04%), and an epoxy curing agent (1.96%).[3][4] This propellant is commonly referred to asAmmonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant, or simply APCP. This mixture develops a specific impulse of 242 seconds at sea level or 268 seconds in a vacuum.

No hydrogen in the SRB's…

Liquid Hydrogen, along with Liquid Oxygen is contained in the External Tank, which in turn feeds the Shuttles Main Engines. There is little to no visible trail left after SRB sep, and ascent to orbit on the remaining Main Engines. You can clearly see the steam/smoke stop in this video immediately on separation:

edit on 5/11/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Perhaps I am confused on where the water vapor actually comes from....

I've read things in the past that led me to believe that the exhaust was all (or mostly) water vapor, here is an example:

www.nasa.gov...

Exhaust from the main engines of NASA’s space shuttle, which is about 97 percent water vapor, can travel to the Arctic in the Earth’s thermosphere where it forms ice to create some of the Earth’s highest clouds that literally shine at night, according to a new study led by the Naval Research Laboratory and jointly funded by NASA and the Office of Naval Research.

So if the burning hydrogen doesn't create large plumes of vapor, why is NASA saying that 97% water vapor exhaust creates clouds? Your video does indeed show a lack of large exhaust plume, which has got me confused. What is NASA saying creates the clouds then?
edit on 11-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

The point he was making is that almost all of the 'cloud' you see in the OP is not from the burning fuel. It's from liquid water that was heated by the engine firing. If you think about the amount of steam that comes from your stove when you boil water, I think you can start to see that this amout of water vapor is rather insignificant.

The people being forced to move sucks I will admit (assuming its true as I didn't check), but you can seriously get hurt just from the noise if you're too close.

Link to info about the SSS (Sound Suppression System)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

From the paper you linked:

About half of the water vapor exhaust from the shuttle’s main fuel tank is injected into the thermosphere, typically at altitudes of 64 to 71 miles

So they are talking about the thin clouds that are left behind by the Main Engines at high altitude creating Noctilucent Clouds, not the thick steam cloud left by the SRB Engines. To my knowledge the thick clouds created by the SRB are solely a result of the water used in the Noise Abatement System at launch. Again, in case you missed my first post, this is the Noise Abatement System being tested:

…And here again is a Russian Rocket with no Noise Abatement System:

Notice that the Russian rocket also does not leave the thick steam cloud that the shuttle leaves on initial take off.
edit on 5/11/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Nothing to see here(non-sarcastic). I'm very open minded about a lot of the stuff on this site, but this is an ordinary thing that has been going on for a long time. Since there is nothing to hide, the government, in this case, doesn't. You can go visit Stennis Space Center and they will tell you everything you want to know. And in this case, it isn't just what they want you to know. Wow. Threads like this make me question questioning everything.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Alright I get it now, I was confused by the term "clouds" since I assumed they were talking about the large billowing ones at takeoff.

Thanks for setting me straight

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
this could provide an explanation for all of the loud "booms" everyone has been hearing... especially in wisconsin recently.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MIDNIGHTSUN

NASA is in fact creating storm clouds in Mississippi and Gulf of Mexico that are covering the EU! In particular, they are thrusting these storms directly into UK and Spain after they have finished wrecking the east coast of USA and Canada. I have been monitoring this since February 2018. I believe they are helping to exaggerate the fake “climate change” so they can pass the law to manipulate weather officially. Just like the fake “terror” attacks are used to make people beg for martial law. Humans need to wake up and stop falling for these government UN NWO tricks really fast before its game over! If you are a gov troll don’t bother commenting. We all know this is happening and we want REAL answers!

Watch this: youtu.be...
edit on 7-4-2018 by Beejster because: Link to new video added

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Beejster
a reply to: MIDNIGHTSUN

NASA is in fact creating storm clouds in Mississippi and Gulf of Mexico that are covering the EU! In particular, they are thrusting these storms directly into UK and Spain after they have finished wrecking the east coast of USA and Canada. I have been monitoring this since February 2018. I believe they are helping to exaggerate the fake “climate change” so they can pass the law to manipulate weather officially. Just like the fake “terror” attacks are used to make people beg for martial law. Humans need to wake up and stop falling for these government UN NWO tricks really fast before its game over! If you are a gov troll don’t bother commenting. We all know this is happening and we want REAL answers!

Watch this: youtu.be...

Nothing will ever change the gullibility factor of human beings.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join