It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need adults not talking points

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
We need adults who are willing to do things which people are not fond of but help the country.

We need adults who are willing to tell the people truth rather than mislead them with lies.

We need adults who are willing to fight for their principles and not go with whatever they think people want to hear.

We need adults who are willing to fix our economy and strengthen our nation.

We need adults who are willing to act, think, and be mature enough for the presidency.

So far I have yet to see one candidate in this race who fits the bill. I like Ron Paul because he is courageous and fits all of the above but do not see him as the ideal candidate. He has more of a philosophical argument to make rather than be the leader. He would be excellent at writing policies and be treated with the respect he deserves but he is not exactly what we look for in a leader. This does not mean he would not get my vote or that I am encouraging you to not vote for him, just voicing how I feel.

The Republican Party has had a great share of outstanding leaders in its history from Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt to Calvin Coolidge and Dwight Eisenhower. The party has also had great men who did not ascent to the presidency but left their mark on the party such as Robert Taft, Robert LaFollette, Sr., Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr., and Thomas Dewey.

Each of these men had something the party is currently lacking; maturity. You did not see them running around like this was some reality TV show they treated their jobs like adults. The fight was always for what they believed in and how they could better our republic. Politics which was played were not immature and pretty stupid like we see out of most of the current Republican field. Some you can just see the strength and leadership qualities other you just want to turn the channel or laugh.

Sometimes I cannot even believe these people are our leaders because of how stupid they speak and act. I know this thread is going to offend many of my fellow conservatives and libertarians but it is just how I feel. Maybe I am alone in the sentiments or maybe it is shared by many, I do not know. Where are the Dwight Eisenhower's or the Robert Taft's? Where are these mature men who stand on principle and leadership?

Today you see Mitt Romney who I believe is an adult but just wants to put on a show because he believes that is what the people want to see. That stinks of poor leadership skills. Mike Huckabee needs to keep his job preaching not trying to lead our country. Sarah Palin should stick to her reality TV shows and book tours because she cannot be taken seriously. Donald Trump is an egomaniac who would turn this campaign into a sideshow attraction. Michele Bachmann doesn't know anything about our nation's history and just sounds better as a talking points machine. Newt Gingrich is an intellectual of course but his morals are so lacking and his decisions are so whacky it is laughable.

Who does that leave us with? Well we have Ron Paul who is strong and intelligent but seems like a better philosopher and policy director than a President, sorry Ron I love you but that is just my view. That just leaves us with Mitch Daniels really. I like the guy and while I know he served in the Bush administration he is a very intelligent man who concentrates on economic issues rather than staging some show. He called for a "truce" on social issues which I loved and has done an excellent job as governor of Indiana while retaining remarkably high poll numbers.

There is also Chris Christie but I doubt he will run. Right now he appears to be the unofficial leader of the entire Republican Party. Almost as if you must get his approval before running. Then there is Jim Douglas who I would like to see run for the office but is not even a possibility.

My point is, where are the adults? End the theatrics okay I want a leader not a stooge. Anyone else share these sentiments?
edit on 5/10/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You are so right Misoir.

But i would expand that to the whole world being in need of some adult intervention.

Overgrown children everywhere.

Cosmic...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
At this point in time, I believe the problem is far bigger than who we elect as POTUS. Even under the system of "checks & balances" as it was originally designed, the President has a very limited ability to single handedly accomplish anything. As you know, it takes a majority in both, the House and Senate along with the Presidents signature to enact law.

The real problem lies in the fact that our elected officials are NOT "The Powers That Be." The real power currently lies in the the hands of the corporate elite and until we completely remove that influence from the political spectrum, it won't matter who we elect. Furthermore, "That Influence" is much more sinister than most people would care to admit, even to the point of carrying out assassinations of foreign leaders in order to see their agendas succeed.

I watched a documentary the other night on the Link channel that was about a book entitled "Confessions of an Economic Hitman," authored by John Perkins, that just blew my socks off. After viewing this documentary, I feel confident that they wouldn't hesitate to kill domestic politicians as well if the need arises.

This is not the Link channel documentary but I believe it's fundamentally the same information presented on youtube.

I would ask anyone, "What would you do?" if immediately after being elected, someone came into your office and told you that in one pocket they had 2 million dollars for your cooperation and in the other pocket they had a gun to kill you and/or your family. Which pocket would you choose if you thought for one second, that they could and would, harm your family? As it turns out, voting our Stock Proxies could be more important than voting on politicians.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
While I agree with your basic point, isn't the whole "Adults" meme a talking point in and of itself?

secondline

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It is time to discuss about intelligent things with matured sensibilty. Majority of the comments are from those young members who's mentality has not matured so they do not read through all the posts but jump to the conclusion and give ridiculous comments. They do not realise that the wrong things that they say is misleading the naive ones.They are posting replies without really knowing anything just to past their time chatting in the forum.
Those of us who knows that we have to do something to fight to be free are doing whatever we can on and off the internet We are also trying to awaken as many as we possibly can and help whoever we can to gather a worldwide force to deal with whoever seeks to oppress and suppress us.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm fine with the guy we've got

Act like an adult is what we tell children - when did you start using it to describe adults.

new topics

top topics

join